Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ (no title yet) ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

_________________________________________________________

"We 'll have to have him in surgery by tonight." Dr. Knox explained."If we don't, he could die."

Alphonse looked to his brother as Roy talked to Dr. Knox. Edward had passed out not long after the incident. As everyone was talking, Edward couldnt hear a thing, he had no idea what was going on around him. Al now felt bad for yelling at him the way he had. For all he knew this could be the last time he would ever see his brother again. He didnt want that, he didnt want to loose his brother, especially with his last words to him being someting tht he would regret.

"Al" Roy's voice brought Alphonse out of his thoughts."I have to take you home...We can come back tomarrow when he'll be awake."

Alphonse was hesitant but stood up and grabbed his things. Everything was going downhill, and fast. He shouldnt have yelled at his brother, even though he had kept something this important to himself for so long. As the door to Edward's room closed behind him, panic and fear filled Alphonse. From the look on Roy's face Al could tell he wasnt the only one.


"Surgery?" Gracia set the coffee down for her two guests. "Has it really gotten that bad?"

"Unfortunately." Roy said, thanking her for the coffee.He looked over to Al, who was on the other side of the room playing with Elysia."Al's really worried, he's blaming himself for it..."

"Why would he blame himself?" Gracia asked, confused.

"Edward is injured due to the transmutation to bring Al's body back." Roy explained."Edward had risked a bit too much, so Alphonse believes it's his fault."

"Edward would oppose to that." Gracia said taking a drink of her tea."Edward is never one to blame Alphonse for anything, especially when it's this serious."

Roy nodded."Which is why I wish he was awake right now to say that to Al."

Gracia smiled, trying to lighten things up."I'm sure Edward will be fine, he always ends up okay in the end, no matter what happens."

Roy smiled back in agreement. Elysia then came bouncing up with a small clay horse."Look what Alphonse made for me!"

Gracia smiled lovingly down at her."It's adorable." An idea popped into her head."Big brother Edward is in the hospital, I think you should make a card for him."

A big, bright smile that could blind a person appeared on her face."Okay!!" She bounced away, leaving the two adults to resume their conversation. She could be seen speaking to Al, who, when she was done, smiled and nodded. Elysia then ran out of the room and when she came back had colored paper and crayons.

Roy and Gracia sat watching them for a moment before continuing their chat."I'm sure Elysia will make Edward smile tomarrow, she always does. He treats the girl as if he's her older brother. She'll do anything to make him laugh, like the younger sister she's supposed to be."

Roy smiled again, finishing off his coffee. As he accepted Gracia's offer for more, Elysia ran back up and flashed her half-finished unicorn drawn on pink paper.

"I'm going to make him look like a doctor!" She smiled."Then there's gonna be another smaller unicorn with a boo-boo on it's knee- It's going to say get well soon!"

"It's great." Gracia chimed taking the cup from Roy."I'm sure Edward will like it."

"Me too." Elysia smiled."Hopefully big brother does get better soon, he's in the hospital a lot..."

Gracia looked away and nodded."He is...You'll just have to lecture him about that when we see him tomarrow." She ended her with a bright smile.

"I guess I will." She stated walking away. She liked to try and act like a grown up, it was cute.

Roy finished that cup of coffee easily and stood up."Thank you for letting us in, I just thought I'd inform you about Edward's well being, I know how much you care about him."

Gracia nodded."Thank you for telling me. Elysia, say good bye to the General and Alphonse!"

She hugged Al tightly, then went on to hugging Roy."You'll come and get us to go see Edward tomarrow, right?" She asked excitedly.

Al knealed down and nodded."Of course we will, Edward wants to see you almost as bad as you want to see him."

Gracia then picked Elysia up."So then we'll see you tomarrow?" Roy nodded."Me and Elysia will pray for Edward tonight, we promise."

Roy and Al thanked the small family and was out the door, but Roy didnt get far without forgetting something.

"Gracia.."

"Hm?"

"Have your husband call me when he gets the chance, I wasnt at work today to see him."

Gracia agreed and now Roy and Al were to leave. As they got in the car, Al requested something from Roy.

"Can I stay at your house tonight?" He asked."I want to be out the door as soon as possible to see brother tomarrow."

Roy looked at him."Of course, I was going to ask you that anyway."

Al thanked him with a bright smile. They finally pulled up to Roy's house after about 15 minutes. They sat silently in the car for a while, neither of them had the will to move at the moment.Finally Roy looked to Al with a bland expression.

"Can we just sleep in the car?"

"Get out."



Al tossed and turned as he tried to sleep, but it was no use. He couldnt stop worrying about his brother. None of the doctors had called that night to update. Did they expect them to actually wait until the next day to hear about how the surgery had gone?

Al sat up and walked out the guest room, down the hall and to the bathroom. After cleaning up he slowly descended the stairs to the kitchen to pour himself a glass of water. Once he turned the light on he jumped as he found Roy sitting at the island in the middle of the kitchen. Some type of liquor was sitting in a small glass accompanied by small cubes of ice. Al shook his head and approached.

"You promised my brother you wouldnt drink anymore..." Al scorned taking the glass and dumping it out.

"Oh please, Al, it was one small glass."

"Which wouldve turned into 5 within minutes." He took the bottle and put it back in the cupboard."You promised."

"Alright alright..." Roy said surrenduring."I'll stop."

"I'll be pouring these down the drain while you sleep." Al smirked sitting down."So why are you up?"

"Probably the same reason why you're up."Roy answered standing up to pour himself some coffee."Want some?"

"I'm trying to get some sleep." Al laughed."Not stay up all night."

"Then I'll spike it." Roy grinned."No, your brother would kill me if I drugged you up."

"Not unless I got to your first." Al put his head down."I'm worried about brother..."

"We all are..." Roy sighed."I cant believe the doctors wouldnt give us updates."

"I know..."Al groaned."Arent they supposed to?"

"Not if they dont want to."

Al stood up."I'm gonna try going back to sleep, and you should to. I dont trust you alone with the booze.."

Roy scowled at him."Alright..."

Al slowly crawled into bed just as lazily as he crawled out of it, nearly slipping back off. He curled up and tried to clear his head. Nothing he did worked, it looked like he wasnt going to get a lot of this night. He turned back over to get more compfortable. After about 15 minutes he could finally feel sleep consuming him, and quickly.



Al woke the next morning to find that he had slept in by about 3 hours. It was now 1 in the afternoon, he was supposed to leave to see his brother in about a half hour. He quickly got of bed and head for the shower, but not before running head on into Roy. Both men bounced off each other and fell to the floor.

"You woke up late too?" Roy asked, a bit frantic.

Al quickly nodded.

They both simutaneously yelled out,"I get bathroom first!!"

"He's my boyfriend!"

"He's my brother!"

Roy looked at him strangly."I have two bathrooms."

They sat silent for a moment before Al took the nearest bathroom and Roy raced to the next one.


The car ride was silent for a while, both men stripped of conversation topics. They stopped by Hughes' residence to pick up Gracia and Elysia, planning to see Maes with them but no dice.

"Where is he?" Roy asked, looking in the rearview mirror.

"He had to pick up some paperwork, he'll be by the hospital soon." Gracia informed, making sure Elysia was strapped in."He says he's really sorry that he'll be late."

"It's no problem." Roy pulled out of the driveway."We havnt talked to Edward yet, he doesnt know we're coming."

"So we get to suprise him?" Elysia asked with a giant smile.

Roy nodded."Edward will appreciate it, I'm sure. Well, after we get through his ranting and complaining anyway..."

Gracia agreed."He may be grumpy or tired from the surgery, so if he doesnt want to be bothered, dont argue." She warned her daughter, who gave apout, but reluctantly she agreed.


It was another 15 minutes from there until they arrived at the hospital and were directed up to Edward's room. Al peaked through the door and smiled to see his brother awake and alert, using the sketchbook he had bought for him. As Edward's attention was adverted Al took the sketchbook from his hands.

"Al-"

"You're getting better!" Al smiled.

Edward growled and fought through the pain to sit on his knees and get the sketchbook back. Al immediately gave it to him so he would sit down.

"Dont move, you could reopen your stitches." He scorned. The others came in with bright smiles on their faces. Elysia was the first to get a hug.

"Me and big brother Al made get well cards for you!!" She beamed sitting in his lap. Gracia pulled her off of his lap and sat her on the bed."I worked really hard on it!!"

Edward smiled and took the pink card from her. As he looked it over he wanted to laugh at how cute it was."Thank you, Elysia, you've made my day."

Elysia, feeling accomplished, clapped and bounced up and down.Edward looked to Al and smiled brightly. Alphonse faked a smile. Not that he wasnt happy to see his brother alive and well, but Ed was doing it again, acting as if nothing had happened. No, he didnt want his brother to be mad at him, but he felt like such an ass whenever Edward did this.

Al quickly stopped himself from spacing out. Edward would figure out that something was wrong and he didnt want his brother to worry. He looked at Edward, who was staring back at him from the corner of his eye, worry lingering in his gaze.

"Maes will be here as soon as he can." Gracia informed with a smile."He hasnt seen you in a while, with him being away and you in the hospital."

Edward nodded back in response. Elysia got a look on her face, as if remembering something."I have to lecture you mister..."

"Oh?" Edward raised an eyebrow questionably.

"You're in the hospital lot." She started."You need to get better, then promise this will be the last time you'll be in here."

Edward looked at her, a bit shocked."Well, I cant promise this will be the last time, but it'll be the last time for a while."

She sighed."Good enough." She bounced off the bed and sat on the couch, taking some of the snacks Al had bought the day before.

"Elysia.." Gracia scorned.

"It's alright." Ed and Al said simutaneously.

"I can't eat it anyway." Edward sighed, depressed."I cant eat snack food, and it cant be solid."

"That sucks." Roy stated bluntly."For how long?"

"A week or two, until some things heal." Edward layed back slightly, pulling up his shirt to reveal the stitches."They had to go in and rearrange things so my body could function properly, so things are moved and it feels-"

"STOP" Al pleaded."I don't want to hear about that..."

Edward grinned."Am I grossing you out?"

"Tremendously."

Edward smiled and pulled his shirt back down."Sorry Al, didn't mean to, I forgot you were sensitive to that kinda stuff."

"Ahhhh...it's gross." Al sat down and picked Elysia up, setting her on his lap."Talk about that when I'm not here." He laughed.

Edward agreed and looked to Roy."Is something wrong? You havnt said anything the whole time you've been here...."

Gracia also looked to him and nodded."You okay?"

Roy nodded."Just waiting for Al and Elysia to get done with what they have to say."

"Then you'll never get a chance, Elysia is a motor-mouth." Gracia smiled."She find anything to talk about."

Roy sat on the bed next to Edward and smiled. Gracia and Al said they would be back later, deciding to go out and get lunch and do a little shopping, leaving the two men alone. Roy cupped his hand on Edward cheek and kissed him lightly.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, pulling himself onto the bed.

Edward looked down."Terrible, everything hurts...but don't tell Al-"

"Edward..." Roy scolded."You have to stop keeping secrets from him, you need to start telling him everything that happens."

Edward looked up at him."I know, but some things I can't..."

"Why not?" Roy raised an eyebrow.

Edward fidgeted. "Because Al will try to get involved...I don't want that..."

Roy sighed, shaking his head. "Fine, whatever you want, but if it causes problems, it's not my fault."

Edward only nodded. It was silent for a while until Roy remembered something."Edward, after your eye appintment the other day...You said you wanted to talk about something..?"

Edward tried hard to remember, but it was hard to recall that days events. Finally it popped into his thoughts."Yes..Uhm...it's about our relationship..."

Please dont do it...Roy thought. Was Edward going to break up with him?

"Well...You seem to take control over everything I do...You're kind of..bossy..."Edward stammered, trying to find the right words. Some way not to make Roy mad. But the expression on Roy's face held relief.

"Oh..I thought you were going to break up with me..." Roy let out the breath of air he didnt know he was holding."But...I hadnt realized I'd been doing that..."

Edward looked away."Maybe this is how Al feels...But then again Al bosses me around more than I do him."

Roy nodded."I'll try to stop, I promise...Maybe you should talk to Al, too. You two should try to find some type of median between each other..."

Edward looked at him."Yeah...Probably..."

Roy layed back, turning his head to look and stare at the blonde teen above him."You need to hurry and get out of the hospital..."

Edward gave him a funny look."Why?"

" 'Cause I want to have some fun with you..."

Edward blushed immensly."R-really?"

Roy sat up, crawling on top of Edward."Of course, why wouldnt I? You're beautiful and I think you'd be rather good in bed..."

Edward tried to force the redness in his face to subdue but it was no use. Roy just loved to tease him, didnt he?

Roy plopped back onto the bed."I think that once you're out of the hospital I should take you out to dinner."

Edward stared at him for a moment before finally comprehending what the man had said."Really?"

"Of course, you and I havnt been out in a while..." Roy stood up and grabbed Edward sketchbook, opening it and looking around. He was suprised to see that Edward had not yet taken it back."I miss going out with you. How about I make a reservation for a nice restaurant and once you're out we'll have a nice evening together."

Edward smiled brightly.Roy was right; They hadn't been out in a while. Edward had been so busy with his current project for work and helping Winry and Pinako with their automail business that him and Roy rarely saw each other except for work. Unlike Roy, Edward worked hard and did everything he could to impress the Fuhrer, trying to get a promotion and a raise. Edward worked hard to make a living, as well as to take care of his family.

Lately Pinako had been out due to sickness, and Winry needed help around the house in Rezimbool. She basically forced automail mechanics onto Edward, telling him to study and get better to help her out. So everynow and then he would head down to Rezimbool to help around the house with the business while Al took care of Pinako.

Oh no, that's not all of it.

Edward had not long ago been ordered by the Fuhrer to return to school. He only had one year left, but then he had also been told to go college. Edward complained about this for days but finally gave in. The first semester of the new school year was in a few weeks, so Ed and Al had to prepare themselves. The fuhrer said he would pay for part of Edward's college fund, so all Edward had to do was buy the books. When Al was done with school the year after that, he would also pay for his college funds.

So, between his automail studies, his entrance exam studies, work, driving to rezimbool, and sometimes babysitting Elysia, Edward's life was full of chaos and he had no time to relax for anything. Having Roy invite him out to dinner was the highlight of his life.

"That is, if you're up it." Roy smiled at him."I know you're busy, but-"

"I can make time." Edward stated quickly, cutting him off."It's a great idea, I can finally get out of the house..."

Roy nodded."Mind if I sleep on here with you? It's big enough, and I didnt get any sleep last night..."

"Why not?" Edward asked, moving over. Roy pulled himself up next to him."I keep telling you to get more sleep..."

"I was really worried about you." Roy interrupted."So worried I couldnt even think about sleeping."

Edward blushed and looked away, a bit embarrassed that he had talked to Roy with the tone he had spoken in.

"Don't worry about it." Roy said with a smile."I'll ask the doctor when you get out and then I'll make the reservations, okay?"

Edward hesitantly nodded. Roy put his arm around him and pulled him closer."You're still really warm...You should get some sleep..."

Edward nodded."The doctor says I have a fever..."

"I told you so." Roy grinned looking at him."Here's an idea: We both need sleep, and look, theres a bed. Let's take a nap until the others get back."

Edward put his head on Roy's shoulder and nodded. He was too tired to say anything and his stomach hurt like none other. Talking was not an option at the moment for he felt that if he opened his mouth he might 1; say something stupid because of how drugged up he was, or 2; throw up. So he went with just nodding and staying quiet.

They would take a nap, everyone would come back and have a nice lunch, and everything would be okay.