Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ (no title yet) ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

_____________________________________________________________

Al slipped silently into Roy's car and strapped himself in. Roy noticed the look on Al's face and wanted to ask, but knew it couldnt be something he wanted to talk about. The look on Al's face gave Roy a clue that it had to be something with his brother. But then again, why else would Alphonse be upset? Roy sighed before clearing his throat.

"Al-"

"Brother is such an idiot..." Alphonse growled."But I think i'm the bigger idiot this time..."

Roy started the car and went on his way."What do you mean? Mind me asking what happened?''

"Me and brother got in an argument...and..I said something really stupid. "Al explained. "I'm not going to go into details but it really hurt brother's feelings...He's uspet, and he wont talk to anyone..."

Roy stared ahead for a while longer before turning to Al and saying,"Maybe I can talk to him..?"

Alphonse looked back at Roy, who turned his attention back to the task at hand."Maybe...Should we go back?"

"Give him sometime to cool off first." Roy suggested, pulling into the parking lot of a pharmacy. "It would be best...for now we can get done what we need to get done and then head back, okay?"

Al nodded hesitantly before climbing out of the car and handing the perscriptions to Roy.

"Damn..." Roy said quietly. "How many different medications are they putting him on?"

"One to help him eat.." Al started. "One to strengthen his immune system back up...He's also got a weird fever...And there's there's one for certain vitamins."

Roy scratched his head in thought."Wow...There's more to them..." He said moving some around."Several different medications?"

"And-" Al quickly added as he began to walk towards the door."He needs to take them at certain times, and some cant be taken together because they might counteract."

"This will be hell..." Roy opened the door and let Alphone in first.

"But of course, it always is when it has to deal with my brother." He laughed quietly at the end, signaling his sarcasm. But it was the truth, everything that had to deal with Edward was hectic.

Roy agreed with a nod. "Why don't you go shop around for your brother while I get these filled out, okay?"

Al nodded and left. First isle he came up to was a snack isle. This was definately his brother's favorite isle in the store, well, next to the books anyway. He grabbed a basket and began filling it with different snacks, ones that he and his brother both liked. Maybe these would get his brother to eat more. He then went to the next isle, which had actual food, not snack food. He grabbed different things again before heading over to grab drinks. A thought clicked into his head. The doctor wanted him to drink less soda and more fruit based drinks, like orange juice and apple juice. Al skipped the soda and grabbed bottles of fruit juice. At this rate his brother would hate him dearly, so he also grabbed a few energy drinks. Just a few was okay, right? And besides, they were between the fruity drinks.

Next he started for books. Ed had stated once, Al remembered, that he wanted to start reading something else rather than alchemy and scientific literature. Al took a book and read the cover. It was a teens book it looked like, one about vampires and psychics. He shrugged and put the book in the basket. Hell, if Edward didnt read it, Al might as well.

He took a few more that looked interesting then looked around. Now where to? He looked in his basket. Was it really okay to be spending this much money? And it wasnt his money, oh no, it was Roy's. Al decided, though, that most likely Roy wouldve spent even more on Edward than he would have. He stood in thought for a moment, then noted another fact he'd seen a few weeks before.

Edward had picked up drawing when he was bored or had nothing to read. He was good, Al had to admit, so he decided to pick up a sketchbook and pencils. Al went to take a pack of colored pencils, then thought about how grimly Edward would react to this. He slowly removed his hand from the colorful package and backed away.

A tap on his shoulder brought him from his thoughts. When he turned around, he found Roy inspecting the basket.

Al sighed nervously. "I know, it looks like a lot, I'm sorr-"

"Dont be" Roy smiled taking the basket."I dont mind, as long as Edward is entertained or has what he needs it's fine with me."

Of course Al shouldnt have been sorry. Roy would buy the world for Edward if he wanted it. Edward was probably the only relationship Roy had that he wouldnt go cheap on. Edward wasn't used to having people give him so many things and presents like that at first, it was uncompfortable for him, but he got used to it. Used to Roy popping up on his doorstep with new books or at his office door with lunch and even more presents. Edward usually complained to Al about this, saying that most likely he would be the reason that Roy would ever go bankrupt.

Al smiled slightly, Roy returning it with a small smile of his own."Is there anything else that your brother needs or wants?"

Al looked up in thought."I don't think so...You're with him more than I am, have you noticed anything about him?"

Roy looked around."Well, we still need to get him glasses...But we can't just buy him glasses, he needs an eye test."

"But they always sell reading glasses." Al pointed out."Until we can get him perscription ones."

Roy nodded in agreement and turned around, heading back over to the pharmacy section of the store. He instantly became confused as he reached the eye care section.

"What?" Al asked confused himself.

"Well..." Roy stated flatly scratching his head."We don't know what eye sight Edward has yet...There's 1.25...or 2.00...or 1.50..."

Al looked around at the glasses."Well I know what style: Full frame black, small ones....But...I don't know what vision he has either..."

They stood dumbfoundedly at the eyeglasses rack, deciding.

"Somewhere between 1.50 and 2.00..." Al said grabbing 3 pairs. "We'll test them out and return the ones we dont need."

Roy nodded and let Al put the items into the basket. After that they decided they had spent too much money now and proceeded to the register.

The cashier was a nice young lady, talking to them as she rung up the items. On their way out she wished Al's brother the best of luck with a smile. Al and Roy loaded the bagged items into the backseat. Once they were sitting and strapped in, Roy started the car and they were on their way back to the hospital.

~^~

Edward stared out the window, bored as hell and just wanted his brother to get back. It was a stupid argument and he was sure Al felt just as bad as he did about it. He sighed to himself then stared up at the ceiling. He wished that he hadn't acted so stupid, but he couldnt turn back time, even though he wished oh so dearly that he could.Imagine how better their lives would be if he could? He could stop himself from attempting human transmutation, him and Al wouldnt be in this situation, and people wouldnt have died.

But if he had stopped himself, Envy and the other homunculi would have gotten away with their plans and the country would be hell. Not to mention he would have never met Roy, he wouldnt be in the relationship he was in now. He loved Roy, a lot, and he would never change anything about their past, like how they met or how they've gotten along all these years. He wanted so badly to express these feelings and thoughts to Roy, but what would Roy do? How would he react? Would he laugh? Would he tease? Edward blushed and burried his face into the pillow, bringing his knees up to his chest. He felt like such a girl at the moment, it was terrible, but, he guess that's how you get when you figure out you're gay.

A slight knock on the door scared the living hell out of Edward as he jumped in suprise. The door opened and Roy poked his head in, smiling."Good, you're awake." He walked in, Al following behind a few moments later."How are you feeling?"

Edward just swallowed, too scared to say anything. Al still looked upset, and he couldnt say he felt fine, it was lying.

Roy noticed his demeanor and sat next to him, placing a hand on his forehead."Are you feeling okay? You're burning up...your fever is getting worse..."

"I-it's not that!!" Edward said, his face flushed with embarrassment.

"You're sweating like hell, and your face is all red." Roy sighed."Stop stressing yourself out."

Edward only nodded. He was in no mood to argue. Al approached and smiled at him."We got you some things while we were out, brother!!"

Edward only stared at his brother, confused. Was Al trying to sweep things under the carpet? Obviously he didnt want to bring it up, and neither did Edward. Besides, they had said their apologies earlier and it was said and done, neither of them had any reason to be upset anymore.

Right?

Edward returned the smile and nodded."Thank you...but you didnt have to..."

Al smirked."Meh, it didn't come out of MY wallet."

Edward looked to Roy."Stop spending money on me."

Roy smiled."That'll be difficult."

"How?"

"Because i think you deserve anything and everything that you want."

Edward growled to this."That's a damn lie."

Roy's smile suddently faded."I'm sorry?"

"You know for a fact that I should just burn in hell-"

"Edward!!"

Edward jolted as Roy raised his voice, snapping out of his trance. He hadnt realized what he had said until Roy yelled at him. This was a routinely thing for them. Edward would put himself down and Roy would yell at him, then sit there for hours lecturing him. Edward lowered his head and sighed."I'm sorry..."

Roy sighed irritably."Nevermind..." He then smiled again. Sometimes it was scary to see how Mustang's mood could change so easily and quickly."Just don't do that anymore, it hurts when you do that."

Edward smiled a fake smile and nodded."I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing." Roy scorned."You have nothing to be sorry for.."

Not in the mood to argue anymore, Edward only nodded and accepted their gifts. Al explained the whole glasses thing as Edward inspected them. Small, simple, full frames adorning the color black. Edward sighed and tested each one, agreeing that his vision was a 2.00. Al nodded and put the other's back in their cases, handing them to Roy with the receipt. Roy smiled as he stared at Edward, who's pale face was now embellished with thin black glasses. He had to admit, they made Edward more admiring. They contrasted to his pale skin, which, once he was better, would tan right back up.

"You look cute!" Al chimed.He noticed a scowl on Edward's face."Well...not cute...I mean..."

"You look good." Roy said kissing Edward's forehead. Edward couldnt help but hang onto the glasses by the sides."Babe, they're not gonna fall off."

"I know that..." Edward said."But I dont want to wear them-" Roy held up a bag of chips."Holy shit I can read."

Roy laughed."Exactly. They're more for reading though. We're going to get you perscription glasses today to help with your overall vision, that may be one reason why you're so dizzy all the time."

Edward only nodded."So I have to take an eye test?"

"Of course." Roy countered."I set one up on my way back here, there's an eye care center in this hospital. You're test is in about 15 minutes, so get dressed."

Edward stood up carefully, finally letting go of the glasses to let them sit on his face. He dug through his luggage to find black skinny jeans, then a blue t-shirt with some strange design on it. Roy couldnt help but notice that Edward was beginning to look like one of the teenagers you'd see at a public school, the type that dress scene or emo. He mentioned this to him.

"Oh..."Edward pulled his shirt on."Winry went out and bought me a bunch of stuff for my birthday, since I'm always buying her tons of things....She said I would look good if I dressed like this..."

Roy hugged him from behind and Edward turned back around."And you do, it suits your personality well. And i'm glad to see you wearing something else rather than black and read...or leather for that matter...Not that the leather wasnt kinky-"

"Shush." Edward said bluntly.

Roy sat on the bed and waited for Edward to finish. Once done dressing they were on their way to the eye care center. It was a silent walk until Alphonse chimed in.

"Maybe I should get my eyes tested too?" He suggested."I mean- I don't think I need them, I can see perfectly fine, I just like taking eye tests..."

Edward raised an eyebrow."How can you like taking eye tests?"

"They make me feel smart." Al laughed.

"Oh please, you're smart enough as it is..." Edward said looking ahead."Hell, you're smarter than me."

"Not when it comes to math and science.." Al stated looking to his brother.

"What does that have to do with eye tests?" Edward questioned.

Alphonse, finally defeated, shrugged his shoulders and hushed himself. Roy, who stayed silent through out the whole conversation, finally spoke up."You're both equally smart, just both are better at certain subjects...Now stop bickering, I'm tired of hearing it."

"You're the one dragging it on." Edward identified."Me and Al shut our mouths."

Roy flashed a small smile."Dont put me at fault here, FULLMETAL."

Edward quickly turned to glare at him."We're not at work."

"SO?"

"Don't call me that.." Edward growled, taking the handle to the door in his hand."I'll kick your ass."

"That is..."Roy smirked."...If you can see."

Al laughed quietly, trying to hide it but Edward heard it. He laughed even louder and Roy pointed something out.

"Edward?"

"What?"

"Wrong door" He smiled."That doesnt say 'eye care center'..."

Edward slipped his glasses back on."Fuck." he sneered.

"Brother!" Al scorned. "I dont care if you swear but that's not right!"

"I'll drop the f-bomb all I want." Edward smiled brightly. Roy took his hand and brought him a few doors down.

"This is the eye care center." Roy opened the door and led him in, Al following close behind. Edward crossed his arms as he waited for Roy to tell him where to sit. He was used to this, being ordered around by the older man. Not only because of work, but also because Roy seemed to a bossy demeanor in the relationship. Roy loved Edward, but not enough to let him decide what he does on his own.

"Over there."Roy pointed by the door that led to the office."They'll call you in any minute."

And not a second later a nurse poked her head out of the door and smiled."There you are! This way!"

Edward growled, hesitant to move his feet but Roy began pushing him along. Once they were in the office they chatted with the doctor for a moment before being led into another room for the test.

After multiple 'can you see this?' and 'can you read that?' the doctor had to dialate Edward's eyes for another test.

"Wait a while and we'll bring you back in, for now, go to the waiting room for a while and we'll call you back in later."

Edward sat silently in the white room between Al and Roy, who were both occupied with books. Edward, on the other hand, couldnt read even if he did have his reading glasses, which he did. His eyes were so dialted at the moment it was hard for him to see anything. Roy noticed the stressed look on Edward's face.

"Ed, I know it's hard to see at the moment..." Roy started."But right now he's attending to other patients. We'll be back in the room before you know it and the test will be over."

Yeah, Roy said that 45 minutes ago.

By now Edward's eyes were back to normal and he could read again, but just as he picked up a book the doctor called him back in to finish the test. Edward gave a low growl before being pulled up by Roy and dragged back into the office.

"Okay, so it turns out you actually do need glasses." The doctor stated after a few more tests."You'll need to wear them all the time too, that is, if you want to see."

Edward groaned before laying back in the giant chair. Roy took the perscription for the glasses from the doctor.

"Take those to the front desk and give it to the secretary. Have Edward choose some glasses and certain lenses, then we'll have them made within a week for you to pick up." The doctor smiled. Roy nodded in response and left with Edward and Al, inspecting the messy handwriting of the doctor.

At the front desk Edward chose glasses that were similar to his reading glasses, afraid to the change the style. The lady nodded and took the perscription, then asked Edward what lenses he wanted. Scratch proof, thick, think. With Edward's clumsiness he chose scratch proof. Actually, more along the lines, he was told to by Roy. There he went again bossing him around. Edward decided that one day he would do something about that.

But when?

Would he ever? Would he forget? How could he forget, it happened everyday. Edward sighed to himself in frustration, grabbing Roy's attention.

"What's wrong?"

Edward looked up at him."Nothing...just thinking..."

Roy let it go. Whenever Edward ever said he was just thinking it was best to just let it go.

"Roy..."

Said man looked to his blonde lover with a smile, who stared back at him with an expression Roy couldnt read.

"We need to talk later...alone..."

Roy's smile faded to this. Unable to say anything he simply looked back ahead as he walked. He opened the door to Edward's room and let him in, Alphonse clinging to Edward's arm. Edward sat down, stretched, then curled up.

"Sleeeeepppp..."

"No." Al said sitting him up."Time to eat lunch! I brought snacks and lunch boxes."

Edward looked at him blandly.

"You need to eat, whether you want to or not." Al said handing him a lunch box."The doc-"

"The doctor advises that I eat 3 meals a day-healthy ones at that." Edward finished his sentence."I know..." He took the box from him and scanned it, finally opening it after a long period of silence.

Al nodded and smiled at him, trying to loosen some of the tension that filled the silent air. This seemed to happen a lot, something would happen -no matter how small it was- and it would create a strange, awkward tension in the air. Edward hated it the most.

Al looked to his brother and noticed him staring out the window. This also seemed to occur a lot. Ed liked to space out all the time and not think about anything around him. It would calm him down and keep him quiet. Sometimes it got out of hand, though. You could tap Edward on the shoulder or even yell his name and he wont hear or notice you.

Like right now for example.

"Brother.." Al said."..Hey brother...brother ...EDWARD!"

Edward suddenly jumped and looked to his younger sibiling."Sorry, I was spacing out...What do you want?"

Al sighed."I got you some books while we were out-" He reached into the shopping bag and handed them to Edward."You mentioned you wanted to start reading different subjects?"

Edward flashed a bright smile."I did, thank you!"

Al smiled and nodded."I also got you a sketchbook!"

Edward look to his brother with disappointment."Damn...Kinda hoped you wouldnt notice that.." He laughed nervously.

"Oh please I notice everything." Al smiled.

"You sound like a real stalker right now, Alphonse." Roy smirked.

"Eh?" Al looked to Roy blankly."I am noooot..."

"Yes you are." Edward smiled.

Al changed the subject from one of silliness to one of seriouness."Brother...I still want to know what you're hiding from me..."

The sudden change of tone scared Edward slightly. He hated it when Al did that."Well...I cant tell you-"

"And why not?" Al asked quickly."I want to know, you cant keep something this important from me..."

Edward looked away."Well...It is about the transmutation to get your body back..."

"You say that you only needed the stone we had to complete the transmutation..." Al said, his eyes narrowing on his older sibiling."But I don't believe you."

"And you shouldnt."Edward quickly confessed."It took a lot more to get your body back...That's why I'm sick...While you were gone today the doctor came in and told me that I needed surgery.."

"For what...?" Al asked, sitting more upright.

Edward finally looked back up to his brother."Do you remember what happened to Izumi...?"

Al looked intently at his brother."Yes...why-"

Edward looked away.

"Dont tell me..." Al stood up, his voice rising."Brother how much did you risk-"

"Too much!"Edward barked at his brother."They want me to get surgery- They say if I dont then I'll die!"

Alphonse finally sat down."Why didnt you tell me?"

"I didnt want you to worry." Edward said quietly, things finally calming down."I thought I was going to be okay...and that I could just hide it from you...But the doctors say it's getting too bad to ignore now."

Edward noticed a depressed look on Al's face, one that held sadness and worry, along with regret."Al, I'm sorry I didnt tell you...I realize now that it was stupid idea to keep it from you."

"Yes it was." Al snapped."I couldve walked into the house one day to find you dead!"

"Al, I'm sorry!" Edward yelled back. Things were stirring up again."I really am!"

"If you were you wouldve told me sooner!" Al yelled.

Edward finally shut his mouth. His throat hurt and he felt like he was going to throw up. Was it the food? He hoped so. He lowered his head. Suddenly he want hungry. He just wanted to crawl in a hole and stay in there for a few days....or years for that matter. He held his stomach with one hand, covering his mouth with the other. Finally he couldnt take it. He quickly stood up, his food falling out of his lap and sprawling out on his bed, and raced for the bathroom. Al sat confused and Roy quickly followed him.

After waiting a few moments Al finally stood up and followed. He walked into the bathroom and could hear his brother throwing up his lunch.

Or at least he had hoped it was the food.

Roy came out of the stall quickly and jumped as he found Al, then got a look of relief on his face.

"Go get a doctor, Edward's coughing up blood."