Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ (no title yet) ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

____________________________________________________

"Try and get some rest, okay, Edward?" Riza said. Her tone held care and worry.

"Of course, they're not gonna let me out of bed for a while..."Edward laughed nervously."I promise I will."

Riza smiled, nodded, then waved goodbye. Once she was gone Roy sat on the bed next to him, running a hand through his hair."Damn, you only got out of the hospital a few months ago, now you're right back in....you look so pathetic."

Edward growled."I'm gonna hit you..."

"Yeah right."Roy smirked, kissing Edward on the forehead."That's a damn lie."

"How do you know?" Al said, taking a bite of a muffin."Edward may lie, but usually hes serious about these kinds of things." He looked to Edward."Want some...? The muffin?"

Edward shook his head, but Al handed it to him anyway."Eat, seriously, the doctor advised you to eat while you're here, you know. That's the reason you're here."

Edward stared at his brother for a moment before accepting the muffin, taking a bite from it. Until now he hadn't noticed how hungry he really was. Within moments the muffin had vanished. He licked his lips before giving a pleading look to Al, signaling that he wanted more. Maybe he wouldnt be in the hospital as long as they thought he would be.

Alphonse handed Edward another muffin."I told you you were hungry."

"My stomach hurt and I was throwing up."Edward portested, taking a bite of the muffin."I had no intention of making it worse by eating."

"Your stomach hurt that way because you were hungry, Fullme-...Edward.."Roy stated flatly.Every now and then he would let Edward's state title escape from his mouth instead of his first name, it had been a habit for him to call him Fullmetal. Apparently, even after 4 months, he still wasnt used to it.

Edward gave Roy a scowling look for almost using his state title.

Alphonse sighed."anyway, changing the subject, I was wondering if there was some way you could let me sleep in here with brother until he's better."He said to Roy.

"Of course I can." Roy smiled."I would hate to leave your brother alone, and obviously you're still too young to be home alone, especially with all of the people who are after Edward."

Alphonse nodded solemnly."I get scared for brother sometimes..."

"I'm right here." Edward elucidated. "I can hear every word you're saying..."

"Good!" Al affirmed."You need to hear it! I hate how reckless you are!"

The sudden outburst caused Edward to quiver.Al had been doing this lately, yelling at him unanticipatedly. He wondered if Alphonse ever noted this fact. Sometimes it scared the living shit out of Edward. Usually he felt that Al was seriously angry at him, but most of the time Al would discern the worried look on his face and apologize.
Al sighed."I'm sorry brother...I didnt mean to yell...you're stressed enough as it is, I shouldnt have done that..."
"Dont apologize..."Edward said quietly,a half-hearted smiled spread across his face."You're right, I'm reckless...I need to learn when enough is enough..."
Alphonse only looked away."Roy?"
"Yeah?"
"Could you drive me home? I need to get some things if I'm going to stay here with brother."
Roy nodded."Wait, in the hall, I'll be there in a minute." He looked to Edward."I need to talk to your brother."
Edward raised an eyebrow at this as the General approached, waiting for him to speak. Roy sat down on the bed and kissed Edward on the lips, causing a low moan to escape from the blonde. Roy grinned, then deepened the kiss, which caused Edward to pull away. Roy became confused.
"Not right now."Edward smiled nervously."Al's at the door."
Roy looked towards the entry way and found Alphonse peaking around the corner staring at them. He rolled his eyes, then kissed Edward lightly on the lips."Do you want me to come back with dinner...?"
Edward nodded quickly."Definately."
Roy smiled, pet Edward on the head, then left with Al. Edward sat staring at the door, feeling slightly lonely at the moment. Now everyone was gone and he was alone again. It was even worse due to the fact that it was a hospital room. Ed hated hospitals, even though he spent most of his time in one. He also shouldve been used to being alone. For years he had always felt alone, since Alphonse didnt have a physical body, Edward was without human touch. This made him feel lonely.
He lied down, feeling sleepy. His head began to hurt and he felt dizzy. Getting back out of bed, he decided to find a nurse and ask for pain killers.
~^~
"I'm really worried about Ed..."Al said as they drove home. Roy was stopped at a traffic light, so he turned to Al, ready to talk to him.
"Why?"
"Well..."Al began."He cant be this weak just from malnutrition...He does eat every now and then...Something else happened the night we got out bodies back, and he wont tell me..."
Roy nodded, then noticed the light turning green."Maybe we'll figure out when the doctors come back with his test results." He stopped at the house Edward and Al shared."Go and get you things, and think about where you wanna go get dinner."
Alphonse got out of the car and ran inside, quickly grabbing clothes and books, then rushing back out. He really just wanted to be with his brother at the moment, so he wasted no time. He began to think about how tired Edward looked. Most likely the night before Edward hadnt gotten the sleep he needed. Al sighed to himself as he got back in the car.
"Is something wrong?" Roy asked, starting the car back up.
"Just thinking about what an idiot of an older brother I have..."Al laughed.
Roy nodded back in reply."Well, yes, he does have his days, but you have to realize that he does all these things for you."
Al's head turned quickly to face Roy, giving him a strange look."yes..I realize that..but does he really have to go to the extents he goes to?"
"Well no, but he wants whats best for you, especially now that you have your body back. Now that he's stuck in the hospital again he's going to be pretty stressed out,not to mention they're going to have him on multiple medications...Al, you have to cut him some slack."
"You're only saying that because you love him."Al smirked.
"Yesss..."Roy smiled."But its true. Who knows, Al, maybe something is seriously wrong with him, what if he needs surgery?"
"Don't jinx it sir.."Al laughed."I'm pretty sure it's nothing too serious, or at least I hope so."
It was silent for a while longer until they arrived at a small take out resteraunt.After ordering there, they arrived back at the hospital and up to Edward's room on the 5th floor, only to realize that he was gone.
As a nurse passed by the door, Roy stopped her to ask where he may have gone.
"Oh." She fixed her glasses."He passed out a while ago in his room, we found him on the floor, they're treating him right now a few doors down that way." She said as she pointed to the left. As she left, Roy looked down the hall and found a door just on the end. Him and Al set the food and belongings in Edward's room before heading down.
They knocked before peaking in and found Edward lying on a bed while a young male nurse took blood from his left side. When he noticed Al and Roy at the door, he smiled.
"We had taken too much from his left arm.."He explained."So we're using his side, just to be safe."
Roy only nodded before approaching. He looked down at Edward, who had a distressed look on his face.
"Yes..He's awake."The nurse said, reading his thoughts."Did you know that he's terrified of needles...?"
Roy smiled and nodded."Of course, very much so... "
Al sat next to Edward on the bed and poked him."Are you okay?"
"I hate needles."Edward groaned.The nurse took the vile out of the needle and put in another, drawing more blood."Why are they taking my blood anyway? Didnt they take anough?"
"You passed out earlier."The nurse said."The doctor wants me to take more blood from you for more tests."
Edward groaned, lifting his head and letting it fall back on his pillow. Finally the nurse took the needle out and covered it with a small bandage."Dont take that off for a while." The nurse said, grabbing the viles and walking out with them. Edward sat up picked at the bandage, earning a smack to the wrist from Roy.
"OW??" Edward exclaimed rubbing his wrist. Roy picked him up bridal style and took him back to his room."I can walk you idiot..."
"You passed out a while ago because you walked."Roy explained."And why are you suddenly so crabby? What the hell did I do to make you so grumpy?"
"I'm not grumpy..."Edward yawned tiredly."Maybe i'll skip dinner, I'll pay you back for it Roy..."
"Oh no you dont."Roy scolded."You're eating, Edward, you cant skip out on anymore meals. The doctor instructed me and Alphonse to make sure that you eat 3 meals a day, and as it is you've already skipped 2, at lease eat dinner."
Edward was hesitant, but nodded tiredly as Roy laid him back in his bed. Edward sat up and watched as Roy gave Al his food, then gave Edward his.
They sat in silence as they ate. For once it was quiet and peaceful,Roy and Alphonse found it rather compfortable.
Edward did not.
He couldnt stand silence, it was unbearable for him. He wished someone would speak up. He would himself, if he could actually find something to talk about. Edward was never really good at starting conversations. In fact, usually he would keep to himself as others spoke, unless he found something to object to, then you'd get an earful from him.He wasnt good at starting conversations, but he was a master at starting arguments.
"Brother..."
Edward jumped as he heard his name being called timidly. He looked in Al's direction to find a scolding look being shot in his direction.
"Would you eat? You havnt even touched it yet, you're spacing out..." Al said taking a bite from his food. Edward lowered his head to look at his cheeseburger, which was now getting cold.He sighed and did as he was told, taking a bite of the sandwich. He looked back up to Al, so was now diverting his attention somewhere else. There it was again, Al getting pissy with him out of nowhere.
Al noticed Edward's expression from the corner of his eye, and wanted to apologize yet again, but he knew there was no point. Later on he would most likely do it again, so apologizing wouldnt mean a thing. He simply sighed to himself and directed his attention to the window.
Now, the silence that filled air, had definately grown uncomfortable.
~^~

Al woke up the next morning to find himself staring at a white ceiling. At first he thought he was still in the hospital after they got his body back, but quickly remembered why he was there. He sat up, rubbing his head, then looked towards his brother's bed. He was still sleeping, so he quietly wrote a note to his brother, telling him that he would be going out for a while to run some errands and feed the cats at home. He set the note and pen down on the nightstand where Edward would definately find it and left.
As he walked down the hall the strong smell of anti-septic wafted in his direction. He hated hospitals almost as much as his brother did.
In the lobby, Alphonse used the phone at the front desk to call the General. After three rings the phone was answered.
"Yes, General." Al held onto the cord as he spoke."Could you run me around town for a while to run some errands? I have some perscriptions I need you to help me with, and I was thinking about picking up some new glasses for brother...He needs them and you know it. A-as long as you're not busy anyway..."
~"Of course I can Al" Roy stated calmly."I havn't much to do right now..."
Al could hear Riza in the background."No work to do? Sir, look at that stack of paperwork-"
~"ah ha..ha.." Roy stammered."I'll be there-" The sound of a gun being cocked could be heard."In about 30 minutes, I have some left over paperwork"
Al thanked the general and hung up the phone, heading back upstairs to see if his brother was awake. When he entered the room, he found a sleepy Edward reading the note. Or trying anyway.
"I was going to leave.."Al said sitting down."But I cant leave for maybe another 30 minutes..." Al noticed how much Edward was straining his eyes to read."I told you you needed glasses, brother..."
Edward threw the note aside and scoffed."HA! Yeah right.."
"Then tell me what that note said." Al smirked. Edward picked the note back up and tried to read it from different distances, but it was no use.
"Fine...you win..." Edward growled.
"I'm having Roy take you to an eye appointment later.." Al informed."Unless they can give you one here, Roy can ask about that later..."
"You're having Roy do a lot of work..."Edward said."You know I can handle things on my own, right?"
Al sighed irritably."Not really, theres no way you can do it in you're condition."
"In my condition?" Edward asked, a bit irritated."I'm fine, why can't any of you see that?? I'm alive and breathing right?"
"Just barely!" Al barked back. Edward jerked back slightly. He guessed he deserved it this time though, for giving him an irritable tone."YOU have to realize that you CAN'T always do things by yourself!"
"And YOU need to realize that you can't keep treating me like a child!" Edward yelled back."Remember who's the older one here, Alphonse!"
"But you're so reckless!" Al spat."With almost everything you do! Not to mention you seem to always screw things up!"
"I'm just trying to protect you and take care of you!"Edward yelled through ragged breathing, a little hurt by Al's last remark.
....you seem to always screw things up!"
"You're not my father!" Alphonse screamed standing up."And you never will be!"
Edward was taken back by this. Where the hell had that come from? Al's breathing was slightly ragged due to his yelling, it was the only thing that could be heard in the room. Al noticed the hurt look on his brother's face and realized what he had said. Alphonse jumped as Edward's sllightly shaky voice broke the unbearable silence.
"You're right, Al..." He said quietly, looking down."I'm not...and I never will be...but...I try to do things myself because I don't want you to get involved in my problems...I want to take care of you, without you having to worry about me...I want to be the older brother I have to be...that I want to be...but...I've even failed at that..."
"Edward..."Al said quietly, barely a whisper."I'm sorr-"
"Don't." Edward quickly protested."You're not supposed to be sorry...None of this...none of this is your fault...you losing your body..Al, it was all my fault...I'm sick this way because...I Can't even force myself to feel the need to live...But I agreed to come to the hospital because I know that you need me...But sometimes it seems like you don't...like you don't even want me here..."
"Don't say that!!" Al yelled."I do need you, I don't want you to go! I don't want you to think so poorly of yourself because of me!"
"Al nothing is your fault!" Edward yelled back, his head jerking up. He cringed slightly, it hurt his head so badly."I said nothing is your fault!"
"Tell me the truth!" Al pleaded."What happened when you brought my body back from the gate?! You're hiding something! I know it!!"
Edward sat silent. He lowered his head. He bit his lower lip, trying to find the right words."I...I can't tell you that..."