Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ A Crying Heart ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own FMA or the song Wake Me Up When September Ends. They belong to Hiromu Arakawa and Green Day.
 
^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^
 
 
Summer has come to pass
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends
 
Ed sat remembering that awful day when he and Al had burned down their house. The two terrified children they'd been before that day had disappeared as they watched the flames devour their home.
 
Like my father's come to pass
Seven years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends
 
He looked up at the rapidly clouding sky. It'd been nearly seven years since the two had lost their mother. Ed had only been nine or ten. There was a drop of water on his face. It'd been raining on and off for the last few days.
 
Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are
 
It had been raining on that day six years ago Mustang and Riza had paid a visit to Risembool. That day the two boys had stupidly tried bringing Trisha Elric back to the world of the living. That day was etched into his memory.
 
As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends
 
Here came the downpour he'd been waiting for. Damn. Al had to get out of the rain. He couldn't risk the blood-seal washing away. "C'mon boys, get outta the rain!" Winry called from the military building behind him. Ed ignored her and continued staring forward. He didn't mind being in the rain as long as Al was inside.
 
Summer has come to pass
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends
 
Ring out the bells again
Like we did when spring began
Wake me up when September ends
 
The church bells rang the hour across town. Five o'clock. The sun would be setting in less than two hours on the raining city.
 
Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are
 
He sighed and looked at the city from the outdoor balcony he stood on. The same rain flattening his hair, pasting his clothes to his body, making him shiver touched everyone else. The umbrella-ed heads below, the sheltered families at home. Everyone was being rained upon.
 
As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends
 
There were warm streaks of water on his face blending with the cold ones. Ed took a cleansing breath, the humid air infiltrating his crushed lungs. He was getting tired of being wet. At the same time it was somehow soothing. Cleansing.
 
Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends
Like my father's come to pass
Twenty years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends
 
Time seemed to fly by so fast. Only five years ago he'd joined the military. Two years before that he had a mother and only a few years before that, a father. Broken up into sections like that, time was short. His life seemed a short and simple chain of events just like everybody else's. On paper life was simple. Two years was trivial, barely anything to think of, but in only two years two boys had lost a mother, hope, flesh and had joined the military in a fatal quest for an even more fatal item. They'd been through more than any child should have to go through. Ed stood staring at the city, not bothering to wipe the tears masked by rain.
 
Wake me up when September ends
Wake me up when September ends