Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Confidante ❯ Confidante ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Confidante
They had one another.
No matter how different they were, no matter how harsh their lives turned, both knew their strength bloomed from the other's presence. He who needed an arm and a leg to stand for him and his brother. She who needed to supply him the limbs to manage himself on their seemingly endless journey of perilous missions. He who needed a small push whenever he fell back. She who needed a noble protector within enemy lines.
Without each other, they knew they wouldn't be able to cling to whatever hope they had for their families, friends and comrades. Their reason to carry on weighed on even the slightest bit of encouragement thrown their way, leaning on each other in the struggle to live.
For him, setting his actions in motion wouldn't have been, if not for the kind of automail he possessed and worked with. The automail beyond any other mechanics' competition(though he'd never admit that). Her automail. For that, he was grateful. Grateful to be carrying her creation into battle, to be protected by a part of her. Something he needed with him always, because unknown to her, she protected him just as much as he'd done with her. He relied on her, lived for her very existence. The pain he caused her grieved him. He'd give his soul to wrench her away from what he and Al conducted in their time. Even if it meant concealing secrets involving her. He simply hated to see her cry. His reason to keep her in the darkness. His reason to push forward and return with a reward. His reason...to want to see her weep joyful tears. Those were the sort of tears he wanted to catch a glimpse of. Even for just once. And someday, he'd fulfill that promise.
She waited for him always to return. Waited for the tuning she knew he'd come back for. She felt open and vulnerable in his presence; a contrast to the stony, detached face he constantly wore. It seemed so easy, baring her feelings as much as the emotions oft plainly worn on her sleeve. In his arms she felt the feeling of safety, strength and sureness of her choices. In those moments, in those tight time lapses, that sense of security overwhelmed her. A warming sensation that she wanted to reach her hands out for, making her beg for more. As if it was something she'd been searching for all her life. Family was something she'd been searching for all her life. That feeling of being at home; a happy family. The backs of her departing parents, the only image strongly imprinted in her memory. It served as her stance, her purpose to become a healer. It was just as he said; her hands were meant to heal. And now, her mind continuously flitted to his back. A glimpse each time reminded her that he was growing up. He was no longer the little boy that she played with back home. To be reminded of this didn't help her inability to stop thinking of him more as a man. But weighing family to him, she knew he was of higher value to her than how she expected to see him. If she could realize her love was more than friendly, how would that affect their relationship? She didn't know. But she dared it. She embraced it. And she wanted nothing more than to witness his and Al's return, fully restored and most importantly, alive.
So despite their differences, their options, and their perspectives on one another, it was simple. To put it, they had a common outlook, and a common point.
He needed her.
She needed him.
They lived for each other.
And they'd die for each other.
FIN
A/N: Uh, whoa! What a drabble! Sorry. Off of the top of my head, this is kinda corny, don't you think? -cough- Anyway, your thoughts please? Um, pretty please? Flame it, love it, bash it, I don't care. XDDDD