Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dancing in the Dark ❯ Stalkers and Sins ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shi-chan: Welcome to the only FMA fanfic in existance in which the heroine doesn't fall for Edo-kun!
Ed: So ... is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Shi-chan: Yes.
 
* * * *
 
 
“How is your work cutting out for you? You've been gone for months, doing nothing but pursuing your research.”
 
“All right, I suppose”
 
“Is that all you have to say? It seems to be all you ever say anymore.”
 
“I'm sorry. It's just...”
 
“You miss alchemy. And your little brother.”
 
Edward Elric looked sadly up into his father's, hawk-like eyes. “I have tried to adapt, and at first, I could stand it fairly well, but... I can't keep doing this!! How am I ever going to see him again if I'm stuck on this side of that cursed gate? How am I supposed to keep our promise? How do I know my sacrifice even worked? How do I know ... that Al's okay? Do I even want to know?There's just nothing I can do, and no way for me to live with that knowledge.”
 
Hohenheim of Light sighed heavily as if not sure of how to answer his son's questions. He looked back behind them, staring expectantly at the cobbled road they were walking along. Seeing nothing, he uncraned his neck and let his head fall so that he was facing the ground. He could not look his son in the eye. “Ed-kun, I know ... that you miss Al-kun and Winry-kun and the others, but there is no longer anything either of us can do. Living with this knowledge is hard, but it's possible. Without alchemy, we cannot summon the gate, but-”
 
He halted both his feet and tongue as Ed stopped and thrust his arm out in front of him. “We're being followed,” the boy stated bluntly.
 
“I noticed a while back. She looked like a very pretty young girl,” his father replied somewhat teasingly.
 
Without a word, Ed dropped his arm into his pocket and continued walking, Hohenheim by his side, into an obviously abandoned alleyway.
 
* * * *
 
A young, teenage girl with crimson hair, quite an uncommon color in these parts, let alone anywhere, crept slowly into the alleyway with the air of a person who was trying not to be seen. Large, emerald green eyes stared blankly at the dead-end in front of her. “It's empty,” could be heard emerging from her lips in a confused whisper. “But...” She looked from side to side, front to back, but still came up with the same conclusion.
 
Suddenly, from above something landed with a thud right behind her. Before enough time passed for her to turn around, two powerful arms wrapped around her, one around her neck, the other around her forehead, pulling her head back. She grabbed the arm around her neck, finding it much colder than it should have been. Seemingly without a second thought, she began tugging wildly at it, but to no avail.
 
“It's no use,” a voice called out from above her. A tall man with long, blonde locks and wearing a large trench coat hopped down from the roof of one of the nearby buildings and landed smoothly in front of her. “My son has quite the grip.” He was acting surprisingly easy-going, quite unlike the person behind her who was practically decapitating her at the moment.
 
With no other possibility before her, the redhead braced herself, then kicked her right leg up behind her. As the heel of her shoe hit her captor's weak spot, he emitted a very loud, high pitched curse. Unfortunately, he did not let go, but only gripped her tighter. The easy-going man winced, looking at the person behind her rather apologetically.
 
“Now, to the point. Why are you following us?” questioned the person behind her.
 
The girl seemed to be hesitating as if debating whether to reply or not. Finally, after one or two more pointless tugs on the arm binding her neck, she began, “Because...” As if tossing caution to the wind, she looked directly into Hohenheim's eyes.
 
“Because you know about alchemy!”
 
* * * *
 
A persistent fault line thundered monstrously, breaking apart the abandoned streets of a certain underground city with ease. A pale, gleaming arm rose out of one of these large, new crevices, gripping the ground tightly. Then came another arm, then the head. Unkempt, boy-cut hair the color of pale, sandy saw dust fell limply into determined, almond shaped, lavender eyes as they looked giddily about the deserted city. A sinister grin spread across her pale face as she hauled herself out completely. A skimpy, black top and tight, black pants covered her body, though barely, and a tattoo of Oroborous gleamed blood red off to the side of her lower chest.
 
“I'm ba - aaack!” she called with a rather disturbing giggle.
 
“Who's there?” a worried voice rang out among the empty streets.
 
“Is that you, Leech?” the woman questioned, surprised.
 
“Enmity?”
 
With a smile that could kill, the woman animatedly placed her hands on her hips. “It's nice to see someone remembers me. It was so quiet up here, I was beginning to wonder whether you all had moved out without me.”
 
The one called Leech stepped cautiously into view. It was another woman, though obviously older. Her dark blonde hair, perhaps almost the color of a sunflower, resembled liquidated brass. Piercing, teal eyes stared hard at Enmity as if unbelievingly. Her snowy white complexion was greatly contrasted with the black gown she wore. The symbol of Oroborous was set directly on her right shoulder blade. “You are not to be walking about freely. She made sure of that,” she said darkly.
 
Enmity shrugged, her movements still like that of an overexcited actor. “Well, so much for that, huh? Now, where is Dante-san anyway? I don't see her; and I don't hear any nagging.”
 
Leech looked a bit flustered. “Well ... She ... Dante-sama is ... not available at the moment.”
 
An evil sneer flashed across Enmity's features as she delicately caressed Leech's pale cheek. “The witch is dead then,” she muttered triumphantly.
 
“Finally.”
 
* * * *
 
Shi-chan: Well, there's the first chappie. ^^ I hope you enjoyed it.
Ed: Yeah, whatever.
Shi-chan: Ed ... What did we discuss earlier...?
Ed: ...
Shi-chan: *is suddenly holding a large metal pipe which has some questionable red stains scattered upon it* Say it.
Ed: *whimper* Shiroi Karasu is the most amazing person in the world! She's smart, beautiful, and great in bed! So everyone, please review her first fanfiction!