Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dancing in the Dark ❯ Tidings from Another Life ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shi-chan: Welcome to the second chapter!
Edward: I can't believe she's still doing this…
Shi-chan: Shut up! *tries to punch him but misses because he's too short*
Edward: I can read that thought, you moron!!
Shi-chan: Heheheh … Yes. I know. Anyway … enjoy!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Hohenheim's posture slackened, his eyes wide, and the arms that had been gripped around the girl so tightly, fell limp.

“Alchemy...” the man whispered unbelievingly.

Before the girl had had any time to catch her breath, she was spun around by the person who had held her tight. She blinked unbelievingly as she stared down at a boy of around 17 years, his golden eyes wide and blonde braid frayed. He was about three inches shorter than her, though he was obviously older than her.

“Why the heck do you know about alchemy?” he asked, his tone that of absolute determination.

“I ... I came from the other side of the gate,” the girl replied waveringly.

The braided blonde seemed speechless. As if all reality had crumbled upon him. The man, apparently his father, saved him the need to speak. “Perhaps home would be a better place to discuss this further. Your don't mind if you spend a night with us, do you?”

When the girl shook her head, the man looked contemplatively down to the ground for a moment, but then smiled and began walking again, just as they had been before their little detour. After a moment more of staring, the two teenagers finally followed.


As they walked, Ed was able to look over the girl more thoroughly than when he had had her by the neck. Her scarlet hair was literally scarlet, not orange, not even red-orange, but scarlet. Her emerald eyes were obviously not native to the region, and her skin was slightly sun burnt, despite the fact that it was early spring. Those were just her natural features; her clothing was even more to eyeball. Her black shirt was rather short and had only one true sleeve, covering her right arm. Her ebony jeans were baggy and faded and almost covered her black tennis shoes completely. Stretched tightly over her hands were green gloves; the right glove was intact, but the left had had its fingers cut out. To top it all off, around her shoulders hung a long, thick, forest green cape complete with a large, masking hood. And some people thought he stuck out in a crowd....

Perhaps, though, what caught Ed's attention the most, although the cape may have been a close second, was something a bit less extravagant. Around her forehead was a headband the color of her cape. It wound around under her lengthy bangs and down her neck, just barely covered in the back by her not-quite-shoulder-length hair. On the front of the headband in black ink was the exact same symbol that was set in much the same way on his old red coat. And the same symbol that had been so visible on the armor he had affixed his brother's soul to so many years ago. Flamel's cross.

As old memories that seemed much older than they really were flooded through the teenager's head, they quickly neared their home away from home, so to speak. Hohenheim opened the door, and they all filed in slowly and hesitantly as if waiting for some sort of natural disaster to occur.

The young girl sat down on an armchair as if she hadn't had the luxury in months. Ed and his father glanced at each other a moment before Hohenheim closed the door, and they too found seats around the living room fireplace. After a bit of awkward silence, Ed found that he could no longer keep quiet. “Who are you, and how the hell did you get here?”

The girl looked up at him in a way that suggested she had been waiting for the question for quite some time and had given a thought to what she was going to say. “My name is Aeri Teren-Williams, but I prefer Windlily. Aeri Windlily,” she began confidently. “As for how I got here, that is a very long and ... complicated story.”

Hohenheim ducked out of the room, but soon returned with three mugs of steaming hot chocolate. “Hello then, Aeri Windlily. I am Hohenheim, and that is my son, Edward Elric.”

“The Fullmetal Alchemist...?” Aeri repeated in wonder.

“Formerly, the Fullmetal Alchemist,” Edward quickly corrected her.

Hohenheim set two of the mugs down on the large, rectangular table that stood in the middle of the cozy little room and kept one for himself, taking a quick sip before looking over at the young girl again. “As for time, we have all the time in the world ... or any, for that matter.”

Ed nodded seriously, not looking at the mugs, but staring directly at the girl he now knew was named Aeri. The girl seemed quite surprised to hear the name of the Fullmetal Alchemist; even so, she did not look extremely happy about being stared at, but she did not voice her opinions. Instead, she picked up one of the mugs and took a long, satisfying gulp. When she had finished, she wiped her lips and sighed. He knew very well that if he was in her position, he wouldn't be about to spill his life story, but despite this knowledge, he was determined to get hers.

“All the time in the world, huh?” she asked solemnly, squeezing the mug tightly in her hands. “He thought we had all the time in the world too, but ... we learned otherwise the hard way.”

Realizing that this was a touchy subject for her, Ed could tell this was going to take some coaxing. Coaxing was not his strong point. Before he could think the matter through though, his father spoke up again. He seemed to do that a lot.

“Aeri-san, perhaps you should start from the very beginning,” he stated simply. But, apparently, it was enough to start her off with. In fact, when Ed saw the look in Aeri's eyes, he wondered whether she had been waiting for them to egg her on, as if she had wanted to tell someone the story for so long, yet hadn't had the will to begin.

“From the beginning?” she whispered with a small smile, though it was not a happy smile by any means. “I was born in a small town on the far outskirts of Central City. I was born into a loving family fifteen years ago. It was quickly learned by my parents that I had an affinity for the alchemic sciences, and they rejoiced in it. I came into the world happy and loved. That is the very beginning. I just wish I could say it was the same way now....”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Shi-chan: There you have it! The second chapter! *ish proud*
Edward: Geez … It's only the second chapter…
Shi-chan: *aims my punch low this time and wallops the midget in the groin*
Edward: *in a high-pitched voice* I can read that thought too!
Shi-chan: Please, read and review the second chapter of my first FMA fanfic! <3