Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dancing in the Dark ❯ A Long and Complicated Story ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Shi: It's been a long time since my last update. xP
Ed: Because you're a lazy little-
Shi: As I was saying, because I took so long to update, I'm going to update again tomorrow.
Ed: Probably not. She has to work on HOMEWORK.
Shi: Shut up, Ed! You! Read! Now!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Chapter 3
A Long and Complicated Story

“My father was a state alchemist, and my mother was his immediate subordinate. They were greatly renowned as excellent soldiers and for their integrity. But when the war in Ishbal erupted, they refused their call to arms. The Brigadier General had them hunted down and murdered in cold blood.

After their deaths were known, it was wildly debated who would take care of me. An old couple who had been long time military acquaintances with my parents finally took over the responsibility. Candice and Sean Williams. They had two children; a boy and a girl. They were both a lot older than I was, though. By about ten years... When I came into the family, the boy was eighteen and the girl was fourteen. I was about 4 or 5; I don't really remember that well. But even so, they took me in happily.

The boy, Dakota-san, and the girl, Cerise-san, were wonderful siblings. They loved me to death ... but they loved each other even more. Much more. Even so, they were always playing with me. I can remember dancing; we used to dance all over the living room and the kitchen. I would sit on Dakota's shoulders while they would dance all sorts of dances. And sometimes they'd even let me down and dance especially with me. It really was fun.

I spent many a happy year there. Dakota-san and Cerise-san were like real siblings to me; they were my family. Candice-san and Sean-san both loved me too, but ... I guess they just couldn't show it as excitedly as Dakota-san and Cerise-san. I was truly happy.

One day, when I was around eight years old, Dakota-san and I walked home from the library together, just like we did every day. But, somehow, as we walked, it didn't feel the same. We were quiet and couldn't keep up a conversation like we usually did. Finally, we got home, but everyone else hadn't gotten home yet. Their car was nowhere in sight. We told ourselves that they were just running late. But, still, something didn't feel right.

Two hours after we got home, the phone rang. Dakota-san was in his study, reading up on alchemy. I remember I liked to go in there and watch him and ask questions and a lot of the time, he'd even help me with my own transmutations. But today he was studying hard so he asked me to get it. When I picked it up, I asked who it was. `This is Hughes of the Investigations Department, little missy. May I please speak to a Mr. Dakota Williams?' I liked the sound of the man on the phone, and I had heard my dad and Sean-san speak the name when I was younger, so I handed it over to Dakota-san without any more questions.

The moment my brother let his presence be known to the man on the other end of the phone, I knew something was dreadfully wrong. Dakota's expression had gone blank like he wasn't really listening. `Yes, I ... I understand.' A pause. `Yes, yes. I'll get right on it. Thank you.' He hung up the phone, missing its place and letting it crash onto the table. I remember staring up at him, just standing there listlessly. Like there would never be a tomorrow. And in a way, there wasn't.

It was the next day when I learned of the truth. Cerise-san ...
everyone had died in a terrible car crash. Some drunken idiot. We went to their funeral three weeks later. When they were burying Cerise-san, two strong men had to hold Dakota-san back so that he wouldn't jump into the coffin with her. After that day, he never left his study. I would have to cook and clean and work, both for me and for him. But I didn't complain. After all, Dakota-san was all I had left.

A few months later, Dakota-san stepped out of the study for the first time. I'll never forget his expression. He had a smile: a strange, faraway and maniacal smile. All he said was, `I know how to get Cerise back.'

Of course, I agreed to do all I could to help. If Dakota was happy, I'd be happy. That was what I thought. I already knew how to do basic alchemy, but I was no master. I learned a lot in that year. More than I ever expected to.

Enough to complete a human transmutation.

But Dakota-san forbid me from the act at the last minute. I pretended not to care, but I wasn't about to give up after so much hard work. I wasn't about to give up. I wanted to see Cerise-san's return. I wanted to hear Dakota-san laugh again. I stood outside the door, and the moment I saw a light, I ran inside.

Unfortunately, I slipped on the wood floor, and I ended up inside the transmutation circle's limits. I only saw Dakota-san's expression for a few seconds, but I will never forget it. It was one of utmost horror. Then, everything went wrong. The light changed; the very atmosphere changed. Black, tentacle-like arms swarmed around us, pulling us away from each other. I watched helplessly as Dakota was pulled into the gate and as I was held in place by my arm.

Pictures and knowledge swarmed into my head, scarring themselves into my thoughts. I saw so many things at once, I couldn't sort them from each other. Then ... Then, I saw
them. I saw ... Dakota-san and Cerise-san ... in the gate. They were holding hands and were reaching out toward me, beckoning me to join them. I tried to grab them, tried to go with them, but then those ... those things pulled me back and tore my arm right from my shoulder.

When everything around me had calmed down, I saw something move. Something was in the middle of the transmutation circle. I looked up, thinking just maybe it was Cerise-san, but... but... It wasn't. I was so out of it, so scared and desperate, I didn't know what to do or what to think when I saw that ... thing. In a fit of blind rage and fear, I ... I killed it.

I killed it.

As you can imagine, lots of things happened after that. But, eventually, I ended up at the gate again, and I just walked right through it.

I woke up in an old abandoned factory here a month or two ago. I'm not really sure what happened or exactly where this place really is, but ... I know this isn't where Dakota-san and Cerise-san are. So I have to get back. I have to go back home and start looking again. No matter what.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Shi: There you go.
Ed: It was tedious. It's all boring stuff…
Shi: You only say that `cause it's not about you. *evil grin*
Ed: Shut up, Shi! You! Review! Now!