Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dancing in the Dark ❯ Underneath the Waves ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shi: Shi here. Skippin' out on my homework to bring you an update. XD
Ed: You're gonna fail if you keep this up.
Shi: If I fail, I'm taking you with me! *opens arms wide for a big hug*
Ed: *runs away screaming*
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Chapter 4
Underneath the Waves

All Hoh
enheim or Ed could do was stare: a small drop of hot chocolate sliding down the edge of Hohenheim's open mouth, and a disbelieving, far away look in Ed's golden eyes. Ed's expression bothered the young girl more than she expected. His eyes ... those golden orbs ... they held something in them that she recognized. The same stare, leading the sight to another place, another time, far away and long ago, that had once held a place in her own opticals.

Bringing herself back to reality, Aeri gently folded her right sleeve up, revealing the sleek but simple automail underneath. “This was still attached to my shoulder when I woke up here, even though I've discovered this place doesn't have this kind of technology. It's proof of my story. You have one two, Ed
o-san. It's crude, but since you came from the other side of the gate you had somewhat of an understanding of its make up and were eventually able to make one that would work, right?”

Ed snapped out of his trance fairly quickly at this statement as if shaking off some forlorn memory. “Well, yeah. How did you find out?”

Aeri smiled, a small one, but a smile nonetheless. “When you held me there in that alleyway, your right arm had a stronger grip than your left. It was also too cold to be flesh. Besides, when you live around Central, you tend to hear things. Like your little assessment fight with the Flame Alchemist...”

Edward huffed at her comment, but Hohenheim only wiped the hot choco
late from his chin, an unidentifiable expression playing across his features. “So you are alone in this world with an automail arm and an impossible goal,” he said with a slight tone of amusement.

The young girl blinked, looking at the man with interest. Ed also seemed a bit perplexed by his father's words as if deriving a different meaning from them, but he only looked down at the wooden floor in contemplation of something much deeper than what lay on the surface.

Hohenheim continued, this time in a more friendly or even fatherly tone. “Well, if you have no place to stay, feel free to board with us here. We could use a lady's touch around the house.”

Aeri seemed to brighten up at the prospect, although she hid it partially with a snicker. “You mean, I can stay here if I clean and cook and do laundry...” she replied with a smirk. At this prospect, Ed was the one who brightened up. “All right. If it'll give me a roof over my head, I'm willing,” Aeri added.

“That isn't all it will give you. It will also give you research materials. You're not going to get back through the gate with will alone,” Hohenheim added before standing up. “Ed
o-kun, why don't you show her to the guest bedroom?”

Aeri, excited for more than a few valid reasons, stood up happily and headed out of the room, Ed at her heels. He turned around to look his father in the eye, stopping at the door while Aeri went on ahead. “Why are you giving her false hope? You know better than I do that she'll only get hurt in the end,” he whispered, narrowing his eyes.

Hohenheim just smiled. “It's better than dashing her hopes right now,” he replied simply.

Ed sighed, but at a sudden realization he looked back up at his father. “Dad, when she was telling us her story... She went straight from the human transmutation to her arrival here, but... There had to be at the very least five years in-between.”

Hohenheim nodded as if that simple movement would put Ed's doubts to rest. “Some things are simply better left unsaid, I suppose.” he said quietly as he walked past the young, blonde teenager and headed to his own room for the night.

As Ed stood there, seconds ticking by, his mind rolled. The girl had spilled her guts to them, even if she had skipped so many years in her story, but she hadn't asked either him or Hohenheim about their stories. He smiled softly, lost in thought.

“Ed
o-kun... The room...” came Aeri's voice as she poked him hard in the back. He whirled around, an evil glint in his eye. Quickly, though, his anger seemed to pass with some foreign memory, and he only led the newcomer to her room.

As Edward Elric made his way to his own room, next door to the
guest room, his father's comment kept running through his weary mind.

“So you are alone in this world with an automail arm and an impossible goal.”

No, he thought as he leaned against the door frame and looked contemplatively over at the doorway leading into the guest room. For the first time in a long time, he wasn't alone.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Shi: Looks like Ed's starting to fall for her …
Ed: Wha!?!?!
Shi: Relax, shrimp. I already said this was going to be WinryxEd fanfic.
Ed: No, you didn't.
Shi: I … didn't? Aw, shnapps! Now I gave it away! *runs off crying*
Ed: *smiles and waves at his fans*