Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dancing in the Dark ❯ Dinner and a Show ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shi: Here I am again. And I am glad to announce that this where it starts to get good.
Ed: Good as in I get to go back to Amestris? Or good as in many awkward, comedic, and/or angsty situations that will attract the readers' attention?
Shi: *evil laugh*
Ed: *hides under the covers*
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Chapter 5
Dinner and a Show

The next few days were pleasant and easy-going ones. Ed and Hohenheim left in the morning to go to their work places, while Aeri cleaned around the house, cooked, and studied the materials that had accumulated in the house's study. Then, at around four, Ed would charge through the door and head to his room.
An hour later, Hohenheim would walk through the door, hang his coat and hat, and ask her how supper was coming. They'd all eat together in the kitchen and then talk quietly in the living room until they were ready to hit the hay.

Things were routine and simple and even a little
boring.

...

What? Did you think I was being serious?

This chapter is dedicated to an average evening in the Elric household.


Aeri hastily stirred the contents of a brass pot. She smiled at her handiwork as she did so, deriving some strange pleasure from the food within.

“Supper's about ready, Edo-kun!” she called from her station in the kitchen. She heard a door slam, and Ed soon materialized in the kitchen. Hohenheim was already setting the table. “I've made something that should promise to be extra delicious tonight!” she reported as she began dealing out rations.

Hohenheim nodded pleasantly as he received his portion and began eating. Ed, on the other hand, stared hard and distrustingly at the dish as if expecting it to jump up and bite him on his nose.

“What is this?” he asked Aeri sternly before she was even able to put the pot down.

Aeri nodded approvingly. “It's chicken soup with crab and shrimp. I searched the shops this afternoon especially for food like this.” A rather maniacal grin was suppressed as she put a spoonful to her lips, straight from the pot.

Ed frowned. “Shrimp...”

“Don't forget the chicken and crab chunks. I paid good money for those,” Aeri smiled.

A fire alighted in his eyes as he stood up and pointed at Aeri accusingly. “Last night it was rice and beans, and tonight, this! I know what you're up to, and I don't like it!”

Aeri smiled innocently and shook her finger at him. “Edo-kun... Are you implying that I'm trying to insult your puny height through supper?”

By now, Ed was shaking with fury. The look in his eye was an obvious enough answer. Hohenheim looked up from Ed to Aeri, then continued apathetically with his soup. He was used to it by now....

“Aww, Edo-kun. Don't be so mean,” she whined. Then, with a smirk she added, “I also made short stacks for breakfast this morning!”

“THAT'S IT!” Ed shrieked as he slammed his fists on the table.

“Actually, it isn't. I was planning on getting some crab apples for snacks. You know, the small ones.”

“Stop doing that!” Ed shouted as he knocked his chair aside and started chasing Aeri around the table where Hohenheim was still eating. The two of them raced around in circles, Aeri still holding the pot half full of soup. Finally, after about a minute straight of running circles, Ed jumped forward and grasped Aeri's leg in mid-stride. She fell down hard, the pot flying into the air and landing right on Hohenheim's head.

Broth and meat dripped down the man's face and into his hair. Edward and Aeri laid on the floor, lost for words and too sore to stand up, waiting to see his reaction.

Hohenheim of Light slowly turned around to face them, his expression grim. Then, he smiled and licked a bit of broth that had made it to his lips. “That was wonderful!” he smiled.

Ed blinked, not quite sure if his father meant the food was wonderful or their wild chase.

Hohenheim only stood up, his eyes laughing. “I had better get washed up. You two, start the fire before it gets too cold.” And with that, he strolled happily out of the room, leaving Ed and Aeri quite a bit flustered.

Later that evening, Ed, Aeri, and Hohenheim relaxed around the blazing fire that reminded Ed so much of Mustang, he almost wanted to punch it. Hohenheim was looking at the most recent newspaper, reading aloud an article to the two teenagers every once in a while.

Aeri was messing with her automail. About every two minutes she'd make a mistake and wince. Ed felt a rather disturbing yet pleasing satisfaction each time.

Finally bored of watching Aeri, Ed turned to his father. “Dad, where do you keep the orange juice?” he asked. He had been gone for quite a while before his recent return and still didn't grasp exactly where everything was anymore.

Hohenheim pointed to the entrance of the cellar. “Far right, top shelf,” he mumbled.

Just before Ed was able to get out of ear shot, he heard Aeri snicker, “And the stool's in the corner, you know, just in case you need it.”

Ed frustratedly searched the shelves, all the while muttering inaudible, but horrible sounding phrases under his breath. He grabbed at a random bottle on the indicated shelf and popped open the lid. As he stomped back up the stairs, he gulped down at least half of it.


After Ed had left, Aeri had continued with her automail for a moment before suddenly giving Hohenheim a wretched look. “Did you say top shelf to the far right?” she asked worriedly.

“Yes...” Hohenheim replied, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh no...”

“What?”

Ed charged into the room, holding a mop situated between his legs in one hand and the empty bottle in his other. He began to dash around the room shouting “Woah!” and “Bad horsy!” over and over again.

Hohenheim returned his gaze to Aeri. “I sort of moved the juices to the bottom shelves and the alcohol to the top. You know `cause alcohol's kind of illegal and all…” Aeri mumbled, her tone housing a hidden bit of amusement. Hohenheim looked back at Ed, who was now addressing the mop as Winry. He was speechless, but that was okay because Ed sure wasn't.

“Winry! I didn't know you were here too! Wow! Small universe, huh? Did'ja really miss me
that much...? You could'a just told me, you sneaky, little-”

Edward Elric suddenly spun around to face Hohenheim and Aeri, dropping the mop as he did so. “You know,” he began with the tone of one who was no longer tied to reality, “I've done a lot of stupid stuff in my day, but never has any of it topped that July when Dad...”

Hohenheim jumped up from his seat and ran over to cover Ed's mouth. Ed pulled away and, completely forgetting what he had just been talking about, ran over to Aeri. “Hey!” he managed before losing his balance and falling back onto his but. “Where's Al!?! What did you do to him, you carrot-top?!”

Aeri blinked, looking Ed up and down. This was pathetic.... “Never in my life have I seen such a weak
drunk.

Ed got to his feet and grabbed the mop once again. He held it out like a sword toward Aeri. “You dirty rat! You killed my brother!” he shouted before he began to chase Aeri once again.

“BE CAREFUL WITH THAT THING!”

As Ed continued to chase Aeri about, slicing at her and trying to swipe her head off with the mop, Hohenheim walked out of the room and soon returned with a broom. As Ed ran past, he slammed it right on the back of his braided head, and the drunken boy fell to the ground.

Aeri stared for a moment before looking up at Hohenheim. “Is he ... dead?”

“No, but he may want to be in the morning, when he experiences his first hang over,” the man sighed.

Ed's earlier words, even if he had been drunk, made Aeri stop and think. “Ed
o-kun had a brother back in Amestris,” she said, this time in a much more serious tone. “He left him behind, didn't he?”

When Hohenheim didn't reply, she knew she was right. She didn't want to press any further, though. Shrugging, she let out a yawn. “I'm beat.” Hohenheim nodded and set the broom down next to Ed's sleeping form.

At that, the two of them put out the fire and went to bed, leaving Ed to his dreams of tallness and world domination.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Shi: Drunken madness and edible insults! This chapter is by far my favorite.
Ed: Are you trying to imply something with that…?
Shi: Aw, Edo-kun. You're so paranoid. I think you should go see a shrink.
Ed: YOU DIE NOW!! *runs after Shi with a kitchen knife*
Shi: Well that's all for now! I've got to go run for my life, so please Review!!