Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dogs of the Military ❯ The Gathering Storm ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is the prologue to a fan fic I am starting now. The Basis is the Fullmetal Alchemist Storyline, 20 years have passed.
 
 
 
"You wanted to see me, Colonel?" Just by entering his office I knew something was up. I'd been in Central now for 9 months with little to do but sit on my hands. Colonel Weiss always knew the most inconvenient times to call me in for another chat.
"Yes, good afternoon Lieutenant, thank you for your expediency in getting here." I could just hear the tone in his voice. Something was up. "At ease soldier, have a seat. It seems that you've made quite a name for yourself in your time here, Lieutenant. In fact this would be your second promotion in these...8 months is it?"
"Nine, sir. Promotion, sir?"
"Indeed, it would seem that your exploits and talents have reached high places. VERY high places indeed." He rose from his desk, something he rarely does. He likes to sit behind those stacks of orders and requisitions while making these speeches, it makes him feel like he does something around here.
He crossed to the wall behind him, the knob there showing a wall-door, used for dodging press. As he opened the door two very familiar figures walked in and, without even thinking, I was on my feet in a salute.
"It seems he can recognize you at least, Fuhrer" The Colonel spoke as though he were amused that he could catch me off guard.
"Indeed it does." With a chuckle that seemed to share in the Colonel's irony, the Fuhrer returned my salute sternly. "Rank and Title, soldier."
"2nd Lieutenant John Casey, State Alchemist classification central division."
"Yes, the 'Arsenal Alchemist' isn't it?
"Yes Sir"
"Skip the formalities, Casey" The Fuhrer crossed the distance between us and with a single motion extended his hand, gloved in white with a red transmutation circle embroidered into the back. I took his hand hesitantly, his grip reassuring me of his intentions as he looked back to his attache. "This is General Hawkeye, my assistant. You may call me, Fuhrer Mustang. I've got an assignment you'd be a fool to decline." And with a knowing smile, the Colonel closed the door, and it all began.