Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dogs of the Military ❯ The Offer ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Joined the service just over 2 years ago, made it from Private to 2nd lieutenant in record time, service in the east, commendations…..very impressive, kid.” As the Fuhrer sat in Colonel Weiss's chair he flipped through my file, scanning over each page. The colonel stood to his left, obviously uncomfortable at his position of subordinance. To his right was General Hawkeye, and though her features belied an age past her prime her stance and senses seemed alert as ever. “I'll get straight to the point. You've been in central now for 9 months and have been doing little more than training missions. That was my doing.” He smirked as if he'd planned this whole speech out. “Your extensive record shows that you are a remarkable soldier, I wanted to see how you could adapt to being a leader. You've no doubt heard of the restlessness in the west. Rumors of monsters and armies amassing and what not. Well, I've been meaning to take a look into it but just haven't had the resources lately. After all, rumors aren't much for me to send a task force in on, and if those rumors are true, I need a task force that can handle its own and make it back to report in one piece.”
“With all due respect, sir, this isn't exactly `straight to the point'” His attitude was less formal than I would expect so I gambled that this remark would either catch his amusement, get me court-martialed or both. Luckily, I read him right.
“Indeed so.” He held his hands up at face level now, supported with his elbows on the desk. Even with his mouth behind them I could sense the same bemused smirk as before. “We want you to lead a team of State Alchemists. These Alchemists were hand picked by myself and the General here.” He flopped another file folder on the desk at me. “The purpose of this group will be to investigate matters that would otherwise be a waste of man-power or resources to launch a larger scale search.”
As I thumbed through the candidates he had chosen I could notice some very obvious talent as well as some rough edges. “Sir, these are all of corporal rank, isn't that a bit young?”
“Very intuitive, Lieutenant. All of these candidates are nearing a promotion date so all will be Sergeants under your command. Each has been selected for a specific reason and for their skills both as alchemists and as soldiers. What I am giving you is 1 month to find and bring these candidates here and train them. After that, you will be given your first mission, if you live up to my standards, which I warn you are devilishly high.”
“A month? That's not very long, 2 of them are in training in east city, it'll take at least a week to get there.”
“We have already secured passage for you to each town. On the proper time table you will return here in 18 days to begin their training.”
“It seems like you have this all planned out for me, sir. As if there was no chance of refusal” I didn't like being played, even by the head of the military. Though there really wasn't a hesitation that came to mind.
“Well, I don't like to give orders when I can help it. Though I do have a knack for giving the right assignment at the right time. It all boils down to a yes or a no, lieutenant.”
I could think about it all day but I still wouldn't find a reason not to take the assignment, save the smug look of Colonel Weiss realizing I'd finally be out of his hair. “Well, I guess it would be yes.”
“Excellent.” He rose from his position in the same deft smooth movements as before and gathered his hat. “Your train leaves at 18:00 hours for the city of Eisenthal. That's where your first candidate is. She is an old acquaintance of mine so give her my best. Your briefing contains all you need to know past that. Report back to me when you return to Central.” He turned to leave through the wall-door, the General never leaving his side but turned back to me quickly. “Good luck, first Lieutenant Casey, I expect nothing but the best.”
“Yes, Sir!” And with a salute he was gone. Colonel Weiss's sigh of relief was almost audible. He took his place again behind his orders and requisitions and began working on some paper work.
“Dismissed, Lieutenant, have a good trip.” His sentiment was all but non-existent. It was just as well. Much longer here and his job would probably have been mine.
I gathered my folder and read up for the next town as I walked out. Just had to drop by the barracks to pick up my provisions then head to the train station.
"Let's see, Eisenthal city. About a day away. First candidate, the "Swift Blade" Alchemist, Corporal Elicia Hughes."