Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dogs of the Military ❯ The Swift Blade ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Stepping down from the train into Eisenthal I could see just how small this city really was. You wouldn't think the military would even bother with a backwoods town like this but apparently it has a plentiful mineral mine. One thing about Mustang is that he knows where to find what he needs. I saw the car that the local Colonel had sent for me and approached.
"Colonel Gates welcomes you to Eisenthal, sir." A mousy little sergeant stood before the car in salute. I could tell he was little more than a glorified errand boy.
"At ease, sergeant. Please take me straight to the compound, I'm running on a pretty small time table, I must catch my train to East City by 1700 hours."
"Yes sir, we'll be there in ten minutes or so." And with that we were off. It seemed like this might be the only automobile in the whole town. The townsfolk all glanced our way as we traveled through the streets. Seems they don't get much company that requires a military escort here either. The small shops reminded me of my home town. The craftsmanship, the detail, everything made by hand. I've been in the military for too long, having everything made by machines. That's the way of the world though, automating faster and faster.
I looked ahead and saw the military base. Unusual to the military's usual flaunting nature this building seemed to blend into the town, as if just another shop. As we pulled up I realized that the front gate was little to judge this installation by. The building stretched far behind, taking advantage of the large land around it in width rather than height. It took a few more minutes to march to the Colonel's office, with the length of this building. All through the hall I got the same look from the local soldiers as from the town-folk. I began to wonder when the last time was that the Fuhrer had sent someone to Eisenthal. Entering the Colonel's office, the Sergeant gave a quick salute and was dismissed.
"Welcome, 1st Lieutenant, it is an honor to receive someone directly from Fuhrer Mustang." Colonel Gates was a tall well built soldier. It appeared he didn't let mineral mine overlooking duty keep him off his guard.
"My gratitude, Colonel, this is an impressive facility."
"Yeah, we keep our own here. So I hear you will be taking our best alchemist with you."
"Well, I have been instructed to offer her a new assignment and..."
"Ha, you should know that very few people refuse 'Offers' from the Fuhrer." He interrupted, turning toward the window.
"...yes, I know what you mean." His manner seemed to show that this could be the reason for a soldier in his condition being stuck on mineral duty. He paused as he looked out the window, it seemed he was watching something.
"Well, come on over here if you want a preview of what you are getting." I took the invitation and joined him by the window. Below was a training ground, a large field with several facilities in it. Among those was a target range, with large logs in various places, bull's-eye targets painted on them. That's where I first saw her. She was of average height, moderate build with brown-blonde hair, cut to her shoulders and then tied back in two pig-tails. She wore her uniform differently from all the others. Her jacket was tied around her waist, wearing a black tank top. It seemed her target practice was not with a gun, but with throwing knives. "Follow me, Lieutenant, we'll get a closer look." He walked to the wall on his right and opened a portion of the wall to reveal a control panel. He pressed a button and the wall beside it opened to reveal an elevator.
We traveled down to the ground floor and out into the training yard. As I watched, Cpl. Hughes threw blade after blade with incredible accuracy and agility. She was running about 92% bull's-eye, with the remaining 8 in the second ring. I was amazed that a girl of her age had such talent but one thing bothered me.
"Colonel, may I ask where she is getting all these knives?" She flung more and more knives from her hand, but not once had I seen her reach into a belt or pocket for more.
"Hah, I was wondering when that would come up." He grinned, knowingly. "Watch her hands closely." As he suggested I kept my eyes on her hands and there I saw it. Just before each throw was a small flash of light, an alchemic charge.
"But how, that defies Equivalent exchange, you can't just duplicate a knife." This was getting very odd and I wasn't quite sure how to approach it. The Colonel just laughed at my curiosity.
"Easy now, Lieutenant, she's not breaking any of your laws, she's just being creative. As you know, alchemy is a scientific equation. The input must equal the output. Think of it like this, if you take 1 + 1 and keep adding one several times you'll get a larger number on the other side. What she has done is taken several knives made of an element with a low density and compacted them together into one high density knife of equal size. All you really have to do is compact the molecules in a specific way. Makes the knife damned heavy, but gives you a good supply of ammo."
"Alchemy on the molecular level is extremely difficult, no wonder the Fuhrer wanted her." A whistle sounded and Elicia halted her practice. She looked toward the Colonel and myself and then proceeded to gather her knives. We exited the safety booth and strode out to join her.
"Well done, Corporal, you're getting that pattern down." The Colonel spoke with true pride in her work.
"I would like to find some way of changing it up, you can only do so much with a set course, sir." Her voice was a firm alto soft but commanding. She finished gathering the last of her knives and placed them on the ground.
"Well, we do what we can here, soldier, not much technology out here in the sticks. I want you to meet Lieutenant Casey. He's been sent here from central by Fuhrer Mustang himself."
"Welcome to Eisenthal installation, sir." She said with a quick salute. She seemed neither impressed nor humbled by my connection to the Fuhrer. "What brings you out to our neck of the woods?"
"Well, it seems the Fuhrer is impressed with your abilities and would like to offer you a new assignment. That is unless you'd like to remain here, of course."
"An offer, sir? Don't assignments usually come as an order?"
"Well, this is a special situation. If the Colonel doesn't mind, I could brief you privately." As I looked over to the Colonel he seemed a bit taken aback by this.
"I see, restricted information, eh?" He sounded more bemused than annoyed. "Well, I guess I can't help that. I will be in my office if you need me further. Carry on, Corporal." With a turn he trodded back to his office.
Cpl. Hughes turned and leaned over the knives she had gathered, placing them in one row side by side. "Well, what is this assignment, are we gonna be bodyguarding the Fuhrer or something?"
"Well, not exactly." I explained the task force to her and what our role would be. She listened intently and seemed to be calculating everything I said. "So basically that's it, you'd be transferred to Central and we'd move on from there.
"Sounds interesting enough. How many of us will there be?"
"Barring any declines there will be three others. I have to travel to East City to pick up two of them and then a third in Youswell. While I do that you'll be on your way to Central to be assigned barrack and get settled in. That is if you accept." I could see her mind working over everything, weighing each option.
"Well, of course I'll accept. Col. Gates is a great C.O. but this whole assignment here is way too boring. So when do I leave?"
"I'll be leaving on a train to East City at 1700 hours. Your train leaves for central at 0800 hours tomorrow. Here are your tickets and briefs." As I handed her the folder she set it on a log and knelt down to the knives she had lined up. She pulled one from her belt and set the point onto one of the knives on the ground. A transmutation circle was etched into the knife she was holding and it glowed as she ran her fingers over it. The alchemy spark extended to the other knives and in an instant they vanished, apparently condensed into the one she held. "That is an incredible talent you have Corporal, may I?" I held out my hand and she placed the last remaining knife in it. As soon as she did I nearly dropped it. This knife weighed easily 20 lbs. I was amazed that she could handle it so lightly and swiftly.
"Yeah, they have a way of building up some arm strength. Well, I guess I should be off, I need to get my things together to go to central." I handed the knife back to her and she easily spun it in her fingers and stored it in her belt.
"Indeed, I look forward to working with you. Thank you for your time." With a salute she spun on her toes and headed for the barracks. "Oh, one more thing!" I shouted after her, waiting for her to turn. "This transfer comes with a promotion as well. I'll see you in central, Sgt. Hughes." I saw her smile and salute again and then she sprinted away. I turned and headed back to Col. Gates' office. It was definitely going to be an interesting assignment.