Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dogs of the Military ❯ The Iron Fist and The Shard ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3 - The Shard and the Iron Fist
 
"So essentially, Brigadier General Fuery, they'll be working under me and report directly to the fuhrer." East city HQ was busier than I remembered. Definitely a different sight from Eisenthal. General Fuery managed to keep it working with excellent precision though. I was here to pick up the next 2 recruits.
"I find it interesting that Roy chose these two alchemists, Lieutenant." The General spoke of the fuhrer with such an informal attitude, I suspected he was another 'old friend'. "I doubt Iron Fist will give you much reluctance, he's been looking for a more active position than this. I will warn you that he can be a little strange, he gets it from his father, who used to be a state alchemist. Roy found it hilarious to station him with me. Shard might not come as easy though. He has a problem with authority. He finds it insulting if his commanding officer is weaker than he is." He raised his hand before I could protest. "Not a judgement Lieutenant, just a warning. He barely listens to a word I say."
"I see, well I'll deal with that in time." I wasn't sure how but something would come to me. There was a knock at the door.
"That should be them now." He crossed to the door and opened it. As he did, two soldiers walked in and stood at attention. The first was somewhat short and slouched. He had long hair tied back in a pony tail and his uniform seemed to weigh him down a bit. The other seemed a polar opposite. A tall physically framed body topped by a short crop of blonde hair. He stood rigid at attention eyes firmly focused ahead. "At ease soldiers."
"General, my father sends his warmest regards." The larger one spoke up in a booming voice to match his size. "He has sent this for you as an early birthday present." He produced a small statuette of the General beautifully detailed.
"My thanks, Corporal, it has been a while since I saw him. Excellent craftsmanship as always. I'd wager that you painted the detailed parts?"
"A keen eye as always, General. Painting such details is a skill that has been passed down through my family for generations." He seemed proud of his lineage to a fault. This was definitely a dedicated soldier.
"Of course. Now to the matter at hand. I want you both to meet Lieutenant John Casey, from Central. He's been sent by Fuhrer Mustang to speak to you." He turned to me. "As you will, Lieutenant"
"Thank you, General" With a slight bow he returned to his desk as I turned to the two soldiers. "Now then, first things first, name rank and titles?" The larger one spoke up.
"Corporal Jean Baptiste Armstrong, the Iron Fist alchemist, East city HQ." Then the one to his right looked square at me and pause but soon chimed in.
"Corporal Nathan Creed, the Shard alchemist, East city militia."
"Excellent" I turned to Fuery "You have been cleared on this information General, so you may stay, but I must ask if it is secure to speak freely in this office."
"Indeed, Lieutenant, speak freely" Military protocol bored me, but it was a necessity.
"Well, then here's the bottom line. The fuhrer wants a task force of State alchemists put together to investigate all those little things that the military doesn't want made public. To that end he has put me in charge of it. We have one recruit already on her way to Central, the question is, will you two join her?" I handed them each a folder. "These are the specifics on your assignment should you choose to accept it, but I must make it clear that this is entirely voluntary" As they glanced at the files I looked to each one. Armstrong looked fit and capable, but I couldn't see what Mustang saw in Creed to choose him.
"I will gladly accept this new position and use my talents to the height of their ability, sir!" Iron fist spoke up, seeming overzealous, yet sincere.
"Excellent, welcome aboard. And you, Shard alchemist?"
"I have no doubt of the fuhrer's skills, but with all due respect for what reason did he choose you to lead this little tea party, sir?" His voice belied his distrust in my skills.
"Whatever reason the fuhrer has is not ours to question."
"I apologize, I do not question the fuhrer's reason. I have heard of you though and from what I have heard the Arsenal Alchemist has been pushing papers in central for months now, how do we know that you haven't gotten soft in that time. We need a strong mind in charge of something as delicate as this, sir." The constant 'sir' seemed to be the tip of his feign hypocrisy, challenging my authority but keeping the chain of command intact.
"Skepticism, in my experience, is very rarely settled with words, corporal. How would I go about allaying that skepticism?"
"Very forthcoming of you, sir." He seemed to ponder this for a second, a bemused smile on his face. "In that case a show of ability would be in order. An alchemy duel perhaps?"
"An alchemy duel?" I opened my briefing and looked at the timetable I was on. "I don't have much time here in East City, I've got one more candidate in Youswell to find." I thought for a few seconds. I hadn't done anything for the past days except ride on trains and meet officers, I needed this duel to exercise. "However I can deal with that, fine, a duel it is. I'm sure the General can find a suitable location. What do you say about 18:00 hours?" He seemed a bit taken aback, not expecting me to accept.
"Very well, then. I guess I should go get ready."
"As should I. Unless the general has anything more, I believe that is all." General Fuery nodded and saluted. The soldiers saluted and exited. "This should definitely be interesting." I said to myself, intrigued at what this battle would reveal.