Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dogs of the Military ❯ Homecoming ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch. 5 - Return Home
 
The train station at Central was busy as always. I walked down the platform looking for our escort. "Hurry up, you two," I yelled back to Armstrong and Creed. Armstrong had no problems wading through the crowd with his size but I had lost sight of Sgt. Creed. I finally spied a few soldiers at the end of the platform, waiting by two cards. "There's our ride, gentlemen." As I approached the two privates saluted. "At ease, guys," They looked a little intimidated as Armstrong came into the clearing, holding up Creed. He put him down in front of me. "Get a little lost in the crowd, Sergeant?" I chuckled.
"Just getting used to the size of this place, sir," He flashed me a distasteful smile.
"Well, adapt quickly, we've got work to do. Now for the obvious question, " I turned back to the waiting escort. "Why two cars private?"
"Sir, General Hawkeye has requested you come to HQ. She has some questions for you. Sgt. Creed and Sgt. Armstrong are to be taken to the barracks to get settled in."
"I see. Very well, I will see you two shortly,"
"Yes, sir," They said in unison with a quick salute and piled their affects into the vehicle and were taken off to the living dorms.
As my car pulled out of the station the private in the front seat handed me a dossier. "The information you requested, sir."
"Excellent, Private. Sgt. Edsel and Hughes already settled in?" I inquired as I flipped through the information.
"Yes, sir. The Swift Blade alchemist has been studying and training during her time here and the Mechanic alchemist just arrived this morning, he's been in the metal shop ever since he stowed his gear."
"I figured as much. Ever since the Youswell mines went dry they stopped sending equipment out there. He's probably getting himself acquainted with all the new technology Central has to offer." As we continued on he updated me on the latest news in Central.
 
*******
"This is truly delicious, Gracia, you haven't lost your touch in the kitchen," Mustang sat at the Hughes table, enjoying a home cooked meal from his old friend's wife.
"Thank you, Fuhrer, it's so good to see you again." She was her usual cheerful self, but seemed a bit nervous. This was the first time she had hosted Mustang since he became the Fuhrer.
"Please, just call me Roy. To tell you the truth, I think all this formality is starting to go to my head." They all laughed a bit. "Some times I just wish I was back being a lowly Colonel or even just a Brigadier General."
"That reminds me, Roy," Elicia spoke up, between bites. "Have you seen Sensei lately?"
"Hah! You're joking, right? I've never been able to keep track of that boy. I've heard rumors that he went home to Risembul for a while, to visit Winry and Rose. It seems he inherited his brother's wanderlust. Just can't stay in one place for very long."
"Yeah, I was hoping he might be here so I could see him, but I guess not." The phone rang.
"Oh my, who could that be?" Gracia began to get up.
"I'll get it mom, you just relax," Elicia hopped up and sauntered over to the phone, picking it up. "Hello?...Yes...ah, I see. Yes sir, thank you, sir." She hung up the phone and returned to the table. "Lt. Casey and the other two have arrived, your presence is requested by Gen. Hawkeye." She spoke to Roy.
"Well, then, I apologize for eating and running, thank you again, Gracia, for a wonderful meal." He stood and bowed to his host. She stood and gave him a quick hug.
"Thank you for coming, Roy. You are always welcome here." She smiled stepping over to the kitchen and picking up a small package. "And this is for Riza, since she's eating for two now she needs more than just mess hall food." Mustang swallowed hard, a look of anxiety on his face.
"Yes..well, I will give it to her, thanks."
"Oh, don't worry, Roy, you'll make an excellent father, just remember all the lessons you learned from Maes." Mustang straightened up, smiling.
"I will do that. Sergeant, I'm sure that Lt. Casey will want to meet with all of you so you might want to head over to the barracks when you are done here," He winked at her, saluting as he left.
******
We pulled up to the Central HQ building and I had the driver take my things to my residence. I started into the gate and up the stairs just as Fuhrer Mustang came in as well. I saluted him as we entered.
"Welcome back, Lieutenant. You made excellent time getting this group together, and all 4 of them to boot," He said, walking along side me.
"Naturally. All of them were in posts with next to no action. Almost like someone had planned it that way," I allowed myself a sly smile which mustang returned.
"I have no idea what you mean, Lieutenant."
"Of course, sir," I let the inference pass. "And on another note, congratulations on your upcoming fatherhood," He seemed surprised. "You didn't think it would be a secret for long did you?" He adjusted his uniform, obviously uncomfortable with the conversation.
"Mmm...all in good time. As it stands you have two weeks to train your team. Remember, we have no information on what you may run into so I want them in top form, physically and mentally."
"I will be sure of that, sir. Also, I was wondering if I might make a request."
"Such as?"
"I have a list here," I handed him a piece of paper. "I've done some research and I'd like these items prepared within the next 2 weeks." Mustang perused the list and grinned.
"An excellent idea, Lieutenant. I'll take care of this personally," He said, as we approached Gen. Hawkeye's office.
"Thank you, sir." I bowed and we entered the office. I saluted the General and sat down.
"Just some general debriefing, Lt. Casey," She said and went through her questions. Most were about the status of the towns I visited. I noticed Mustang liked to kill multiple birds with one stone, using my trip as not only a recruiting mission but some reconnaissance as well. As the questions finished I saluted both and headed off for the barracks.
******
After making sure my belonging had been secured I walked through the dormitory courtyard to find the 4 alchemists I had just recruited. Under a tree I came upon Sgt. Hughes reading an alchemy text.
"Studying hard, I see," I said as I approached her. She gave a quick informal salute, still engrossed in her book.
"Yes, Sir," her speech a bit drawn as she concentrated on her book. "Roy said you were back so I came here to wait."
"He really is a strange man," She chuckled a bit. "You've known him for quite a while, haven't you?" She looked up from her book.
"My whole life. Ever since my father died in the Ourobouros coup he's been something of a role model to me," She spoke with devout respect for him. "So, you've done your research on us all it would seem."
"It's my job," I smiled. "Mustang gave me a military profile which tells me what you are all capable of. I did my own poking around to know who you guys really are."
"A true sign of a leader," She leaned forward, resting her arms on her knees. "So what's next on the agenda?" She closed her book and stood.
"Well, we might as well get the others and get started. Go ahead and put your book away and grab Shard and Iron fist from the barracks. They are in room 127H. I'll go get the Mechanic from the metal shop. Meet back her in 15." She saluted.
"Will do, sir," and with a smile she was off.
******
Inside the metal shop I could hear various projects going. It was a loud lively place, with all kinds of whirring and mechanical sounds. The work stations were set up like cubicals and it seemed that many of them were taken. I stepped into the office toward the back where the administrators were. As I asked the colonel in charge if he had seen Sgt. Edsel he pointed toward a work station in the back corner. Just then an alchemy flash went up from that station and a small explosion could be heard over the other noises in the shop. The Col. and I rushed over to see what happened. As we got to the small station a man covered in black soot with cracked glasses emerged, coughing. He looked up to see the Colonel and myself standing there and the other workers with their heads popped out of their stations looking to see what happened.
"Looks like I'll have to take that one back to the drawing board," He said with a sheepish look. He laughed nervously and saluted. I nodded to the Colonel who frowned and returned to his office.
"At ease Sergeant," His hand dropped from its salute but he stood nervously. "What exactly were you working on?"
"Well. I was looking into this new flying technology everyone is interested in nowadays. I've got a few plans that show it's possible to lift a vehicle, given the appropriate wingspan, so I decided to try it out on a smaller scale but I keep getting the ratio of fuel wrong. If only I could find a good conversion formula, then I could..."
"That'll do, Sgt.," I cut him off, afraid he might go on forever. "Interesting work, now I know why I was sent to recruit you."
"Ah, so, you're Lt. Casey?" He shook my hand excitedly. "I want to thank you for getting me out of Youswell, there's just nothing left to work with out there. I mean have you seen what they send us?"
"Easy now, Sgt. Complaints go in writing to the Fuhrer," I snickered, though he just looked at me blankly. "Gotta work on that sense of humor. Anyway, I've called together the other members of our little group so I can talk to you all, let's go"
"Yes, sir," He saluted and followed me back to the barrack yard.
As we arrived the others were already there, talking back and forth. As I approached they all stood. "All right, line up troops," I said, as the all stood at attention side to side. "Welcome to Central. This is the only time I will require you to line up at attention at my expense. This isn't your average squad of soldiers and I am not your average commanding officer." I kept up the drill sergeant tone. "From this day forward I want nothing from you but hard work, trust and dedication. We don't have the luxury of knowing what we are up against. We go to work where the military cannot be, investigate what we don't understand. This is a dangerous task. Anyone who has a problem with that can leave now, no questions asked. However, for those who stay you will get the uncommon reward of protecting your country from the threats it doesn't know about. This won't bring you any glory or fame. I don't want any showboating or bickering among you. We either work together or die together, guys. For the next 2 weeks we will be training our minds and bodies for this work. I say we because I'm in this with you, I'm part of this team, not just the commander of it. I will train just as hard as you. Do any of you have a problem with this position?"
"No, sir!" They answered in unison.
"Good," I said as I grinned. "Now let's cut out this ridiculous 'at attention' crap and get some work done. Training begins now!"