Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dogs of the Military ❯ Graduation Day ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6 - Graduation Day
 
"Welcome to your final test, boys and girls," the fuhrer's voice cut through the crisp morning air. "Today we'll see if you are up to the challenge that will be set forth in your new assignment. I will test you each on your alchemic knowledge and combat training. Should you fail any of these tests, you will be sent back to your previous commands and carry on your duties. First up, a written test on basic and advanced alchemy. You will have 1 hour to finish this test."
The test went by quickly. After training and studying for 2 weeks straight there wasn't a question he could ask that we didn't know. All 5 of us passed, Sgt. Edsel getting the highest score of course. The next trial was combat preparedness. The fuhrer decided to test us each separately. First up was Edsel. He was taken to the Mech labs and we were told to wait. We returned to the barracks to rest, while we waited. Two hours passed before Edsel finally returned.
"Welcome back sergeant, how did it all go?" I asked, to satisfy all our curiosity.
"I..I'm not sure," He was shaking a bit, obviously tired. "He asked me to use alchemy to create a new training sequence program with some robotics. I finished it, but he wouldn't tell me if I passed or not." He slumped down onto his bed.
"Hmm...I think Roy has something up his sleeve," Elicia said. "So who's next?" As if on cue, a soldier entered the room. I recognized him as Captain Lucian. I didn't really know him well, but I'd seen him around the base.
"Sgt. Armstrong, please report to the training grounds, at the fuhrer's request." He stated, answering our question. Armstrong jumped up and turned and saluted before he exited the door.
"Fear not my compatriots! I will pass this rigorous challenge in pure fashion, with the pride of the Armstrong tradition!" He then left, marching toward the training grounds.
"Wow, that guy really needs to lighten up," I stated, laughing a bit.
"You should meet his father," Said Elicia.
 
*****
 
Twenty minutes later Captain Lucian returned. "Sergeant Nathan Creed?" Creed looked up from his sitting position on the floor. "It's your turn"
"Where's Jean?" He asked, a slight tinge of disrespect in his voice.
"Sgt. Armstrong will meet up with you after the test. As well, Sgt. Edsel, would you come with me?" He stated. His demeanor was very official, I guess he took his job really seriously. Both soldiers stood, following the captain. As they made their way to the training grounds I began to wonder what exactly Mustang was up to.
I let it go for now and put down the alchemy text I was reading. Reaching under my bed, I drew out a large toolbox. After removing my jacket I withdrew a small screwdriver and began a few maintenance regimens on my automail.
"That's some impressive hardware you have there, Lieutenant." Elicia's voice startled me a bit. She had been so quiet, apparently engrossed in a book herself, that I had forgotten she was here.
"Thanks, I built it myself." She looked puzzled. "Yeah, I know, 'how could a guy with no arms make automail?' Well, truth is someone else made my first set of arms, but after that I studied myself and decided to make my own."
"I see." She jumped down from the higher bunk and came over. She sat down next to me, inspecting the metal. "Nice design. The nerves are connected flawlessly. This bolt right here, though. Wouldn't it be more effective if it was directly wired through another bolt rather than into the system integration? It would increase your reaction time a bit." I just looked up blankly. She laughed a bit, "Oh, sorry. An old friend of mine is a mechanic. She taught me quite a bit about it."
"Is that so? Who might that be?"
"Her name was Winry, she lived out in the country."
"Winry Rockbell? No wonder, she's got a great eye. I've never met her but one of her texts on mechanics was standard reading when I studied automail. Confidentially, I used a bunch of her techniques to create these. That bolt you pointed out though is a back-up. If my main connection is severed somehow that thing keeps the arm in enough working fashion that it won't be totally useless." She studied the workings again.
"I see now, very good idea."
"Thanks, I thought so," I kept working for a few silent minutes.
"How did it happen?" Her voice stopped me. I looked up silently. She averted her look, a bit embarrassed. "Sorry, it's not my place to ask." I simply smiled and began to work again.
"It's not something I usually talk about. Come to think of it I don't think I've told anyone since I had to explain it to the military when I joined. Must've been 20 or more years ago," I was interrupted as Lucian returned.
"Sergeant? You're up," he spoke. There was a bit more reverence in his voice. Maybe he had heard our conversation as he approached, or maybe just because she was a woman.
"Well, then," I said. "You better not keep the fuhrer waiting. We can save this topic for another time, that is if you pass." I smirked. She stood up, looking a bit sheepish and saluted me.
"Count on it, sir," her expression lightened and she followed the Captain. Before she got out the door I spoke.
"Sergeant," She stopped. "Call me John." She smiled and left. The only thing left to do was finish my maintenance and wait.
 
*****
 
It took a longer time for Captain Lucian to return, I was starting to worry a bit. When he finally appeared I was just about finished with the book I had been reading.
"Sorry for the wait, Lieutenant, the fuhrer needed to prepare the training area." He spoke, back in his official sounding voice.
"Not at all, sir, I look forward to displaying my abilities."
"Indeed, this way please."
I followed him through the courtyard, noting the how clear the day was. It was a shame to waste it on all this military ceremony but it was inevitable I guess. We traversed through the mess hall, getting the occasional 'bring in the next victim!' comment. Apparently rumor had spread about our test. Through another courtyard I saw the large expanse of the training facility. The double doors closed today, to keep out the other soldiers while the testing went on. On any other day they'd be open. We went through them and through the halls. The captain stopped by the door leading into the training area.
"Through here, please," He said. I saluted and proceeded through and the doors were shut behind me. The training room was simply another courtyard, no ceiling, a few trees and some large rocks. At the other end stood Mustang and his assistant. I walked up to them and stood at attention.
"Your troops have done well. However, for them to pass there is one more test, and that all depends on you," he had his patented 'know-it-all' smirk on his face. This couldn't be a good thing. "Welcome to your final test." With that he nodded to Hawkeye and they left the training ground. Another door opened as the left and Edsel, Hughes, Armstrong and Creed all walked out.
"What are you all doing here?" I was puzzled.
"We were told that before we could find out whether we passed we had to do one last test, a combat test as a team." Creed was the first to answer.
"I see," that explained a bit but, knowing Mustang, there had to be a catch. "So that means.." I was cut short by a loud siren noise and more doors flung open as robotic arms extended, holding guns. "DOWN NOW!" I yelled as we all hit the dirt, rolling to the nearest cover. I ended up rolling over behind a large rock, with Swift blade next to me. I saw Armstrong ducking behind a tree and Edsel cowering behind a rock. "Well, he's not going to be any help. You armed sergeant?" By now there were 5 guns traced onto us, firing in our directions.
"Yes, sir," she said pulling a knife from her belt. I looked down at her and paused. "Something the matter, sir?" I simply smirked.
"Not at all. Now on my mark I want you to take out that gun on the far left." I ran my fingers through the dirt, making a transmutation circle then activated it. A tube popped out of the ground near the other three alchemists, connected under the ground. "Ok, guys, Armstrong you take out the gun on the right on my mark. Creed take the two on the inside. Edsel...just sit tight. Ready...MARK." As I said the last word alchemy flashes popped up as two glass shards flew from behind one of the rocks, connecting with the inner guns and knocking them out. At the same time a giant spike came flying from behind Armstrong's tree, obliterating another as the 4th exploded from the impact of the throwing knife. The final gun was mine. I clapped my hands together, using alchemy to mold the metal on my arms into a crossbow. Elicia poked her head up as I took aim and I saw the gun turn in her direction. The gun fired and she ducked, stumbling over knocking me out from behind the rock. I looked up in time to see the gun set it's sights on me. With a quick move I clapped again, bringing the crossbow up as a metal shield now, deflecting the bullets. I righted myself and crept back behind the rock. "Be careful!" I scolded. She looked at me embarrassed. I simply transmuted my shield back to my arms and spoke through the tube. "Armstrong, got enough for one more?" Seconds later I saw a flash of light and a large hole appeared in the middle of his tree as the wood went sailing into the final gun. Another siren sounded and the gun-arms were retracted and the doors closed. Mustang reappeared from the main door and we all stood and walked over to him.
"That was a pitiful display, kid. That last gun should have been an easy target. It would appear that your training wasn't effective enough."
"I beg to differ, sir," I said, looking him in the eye. "If my full team were here we would have easily destroyed that last gun."
"Your whole team, Arsenal? I don't see anyone missing."
"Neither did I at first," I stated and with one fluid motion I clapped my hands, forming my metal into a blade and swung, cutting easily through the neck of Sgt. Hughes, severing her head from her body. Mustang smirked as the machine slumped to the ground.
"How did you know she was a robot?" He asked. "As he did, he nodded to Gen. Hawkeye who began to walk away.
"Well, I had wondered what you had Edsel build and after working for two weeks with the real Elicia Hughes," Hawkeye opened the door and Sgt. Hughes entered. "I know she wouldn't have made such a rookie mistake. After it fell on me and I felt the abnormal proportions I knew it."
"Very good," exclaimed the fuhrer as Elicia joined the group. "You have all passed your final test. Congratulations. You have one day to prepare for your first mission. You 4 will return to your barracks while I brief the Lieutenant." The 4 sergeants saluted and filed out, sternly. As they got out the door I could hear whoops and laughter as they audibly celebrated their victory. "Now then, Lieutenant, let's be off to my office for the mission briefing." We started for the main building and though Mustang made this seem like so much military to do I could see a proud smile on his face.
 
*****
 
It was nightfall by the time I returned to the barracks. After my briefing with Mustang he informed me that the items I had requested upon my return to central were finally ready. I picked them up and headed to join everyone in celebration. As I returned they were talking, listening to the radio, enjoying a few drinks. They clapped as I entered the room, and offered me a glass. I accepted and raised it high.
"I had no doubts, guys, cheers," we tapped glasses and all took a drink. They settled back in their seats.
"So, what's in the box, Lieu?" Creed said. His demeanor belied that he'd had a few more drinks than the others.
"Well, when I got to central I had the fuhrer pick up a few things for me, or more appropriately for you. Think if it as a bit of a graduation present." I opened the box and dug around a bit. "First off, since we are a special group here, I thought we should be a bit more distinguishable," I lifted out a uniform set. Rather than the standard Indigo blue coloring it was a deep crimson red. I tossed one to each of them in turn. As I pulled out the final one I walked over to Sgt. Creed. "Nathan, I know you've had your uniform specially tailored so I decided to give you something even better. This entire uniform is lined with small sand pockets, not big enough to weigh you down in any specific area, so you can move a bit more easily. As well," and I flipped it inside out, "each one is embroidered on the inside with a transmutation circle, so you don't have to worry about needing one." I handed him the uniform.
"Hah! Only in central could they pull this off," he laughed. A solemn look crossed his face as he looked up. "Thanks, chief," He said, with clear sincerity in his voice.
"Sgt. Armstrong."
"SIR!" He jumped up at attention.
"First, chill out," I chuckled and reached into the box again. "Second, a gift from your father. These are the same gauntlets he used when he was stationed here in Central." I handed him a set of old gloves, the knuckles spiked and a transmutation circle on the outside. As Jean took hold of them he began to cry.
"Thank you, lieutenant! Such a warm and heartfelt gift is more than I can give thanks for!" He lunged forward and put his massive arms around me in a crushing embrace. As he let go I nearly fell down.
"Ok, again, you need to chill out," everyone laughed as I straightened my uniform. Again I searched the box and drew out a book. "Tim, I know you've been looking for that fuel ratio so I figured I'd pick this up for you." And I handed him the book. "It contains all the research on the combustion engine that the military is currently developing for our experimental flying machines." His face lit up.
"Thank you, sir!" He returned to his chair and buried his face in the book, oblivious to the world around him.
"Well, then, I guess that leaves one more person," I turned and looked at Elicia. "I had to get some help from Mustang on this one but here." I reached into the box a final time. "This knife belt belonged to your father." I handed it to her. "We had the leather mended a bit and reinforced the holster for the weight of your knives but other than that it's the same as he left it." She stood there and held the belt, tears welling in her eyes. She then looked up and smiled, too choked up for a thank you. I simply winked and picked up the now empty container. "Get some rest tonight people. I'll brief you for our mission in the morning and our train leaves tomorrow afternoon. I will see you all then." I finished the rest of my drink and left, heading for my dorm.
 
*****
 
I sat reading over the file Mustang had given me in my briefing. It was getting a little late and I was about to close it and turn in when I heard a faint knock on my door. I walked over and opened it. There stood Elicia, donning her new uniform.
"Red looks good on you," I said. "How can I help you?"
"I know it's late, sir, but I wanted to tell how much I appreciate what you did," She said, wringing her hands together. "My father meant..means a lot to me and having this just makes me that much more determined to do my best." I smiled at her.
"You are quite welcome, Elicia. I'm know your father was a great man and I think you are destined to do great things as well. For now, why don't you get some sleep, I'll see you in the morning." She smiled and I could see a few more tears in her eyes.
"Ok, thank you again, Lieute....I mean, John" She stepped forward and kissed my cheek. Then looked at me one last time and walked on to her barrack. I stood in the doorway for a few minutes wondering what had just happened. A chilled wind blew in and broke me out of my stupor so I closed the door. This was going to be an interesting assignment indeed.