Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Ever Since You ❯ In a Heartbeat ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

'''''''''''''''''''''''''
In a Heartbeat
'''''''''''''''''''''''''
Through the fire
To the limit, to the wall
For a chance to be with you
I'd gladly risk it all
Through the fire
Through whatever, come what may
For a chance at loving you
I'd take it all the way
Right down to the wire
Even through the fire
Walking down the packed street one summer afternoon, Riza Mustang scanned the crowd of people as they made their way around the marketplace wielding and dealing their way to the best offer for their purchases. In front of her, Black Hayate was chasing a little girl with long black hair and golden eyes. The sun glittered in her eyes. They shone the greatest shade of gold… so beautiful… so innocent… so… perfect. As Riza walked over towards the vendor and picked up some fresh fruits and vegetables thinking of what would be the perfect dinner tonight. Not anything with a lot of oil… that would be completely unhealthy and with the second one coming along, she had to think of him first. Making a beeline to the local grocery store after with her in tow, Riza walked to grab the last couple of items from the frozen food aisle which include peas, carrots, and a carton of Butter Pecan Ice-cream, she made her way to the check out stand. Along the way, neighbors and friends alike complimented the sight of mother, daughter, and family pet just doing the weekend groceries. They always commented on the glow she had the radiated off the blithe features. It was easy to say that Riza Hawkeye was living the life of a dream.
...xxxxxxx...
In a flash of colors, Lieutenant Elizabeth Hawkeye was sent back to the battle field immediately in a blur of roaring flames and machine guns crackling. Rain pounded down on the soldiers as bullets whizzed past her head making her turn abruptly to her commanding officer who was crouched down next to her. Looking down at her semi automatic, she opened the chamber and saw but three bullets left. Pulling her head over the top of the cemented wall they were currently taking refuge behind, she estimated roughly ninety feet left to the enclosed building. There they would be dry, there they can finally be out of the no-man zone, there Roy could use his alchemic powers to its fullest.
Turning towards Roy again as he turned around from firing a couple of rounds from his own pistol, Riza shouted over the firing and explosions, “Sir! WE NEED TO EVAUTATE! ABOUT 90 FEET DUE NORTH FROM HERE!”
Roy nodded and then shouted back, “On your go!”
Riza gave a curt nod and then looked from around the barrier as the firing died down a bit and then with the speed that she acquired from hours and hours of training, Riza grabbed Roy's shoulder and shoved him up to go towards the abandoned building, kicking up bullet shells and dust as they scrambled across the battle field to their solitude of synthetic peace.
Out of the shadows, a rebel fighter pulled out his gun about to pull the trigger when Riza caught sight of him and aimed with deadly precision that ended the man's life.
Two bullets left… 30 feet to go…
From behind the corner of the church, as Lieutenant and Cornel nearly reached the door, a dark figure loomed around and shot out a large pocket knife. Raising her gun again, Riza shot the knife from out of the air and then sent the man to his knees as she shot out her last bullet.
Zero bullets left… 3 feet to go…
Roy threw opened the doors and then let Riza in before he slammed it shut. They made it…
Then from the confines and shadows of their refuge, death walked with ease and then flew straight for Roy's heart.
It happened all too fast… One second Riza was by his side the next she was in front of him as a small blood stain began to grow where the bullet pierced her body. All she could hear was his voice straining to bring her back… then the pain took over…
...xxxxxxx...
Waking up with a start, Riza turned to the voice that was screaming to her. Roy's eyes were blazing with maddening concern as he held her face in the palms of his hands and slowly spoke to her in whispers, “Riza… Riza… it's okay… it's just a dream…”
Her breathing erratic, Riza turned into his bare chest and clutched to him like he was her very source for breath. Slowly, without warning, they fell. Warm tears fell onto his toned chest as she sputtered clips and pieces of her dream. “There was so much screaming… bullet shells… smoke… Gods, Roy, I was so scared! Why was I scared I've never been scared on the battle field… I didn't know what to do… it all happened so quickly I just didn't think before I just jumped… and…” Pulling back she looked at him in the eyes and said in an almost inaudible whisper, “She was so beautiful…”
Brushing one of her stray strands of golden locks from her eyes, Roy asked in a soft curious voice, “Who was, love?”
“You're daughter…”
Roy taken slightly aback, he merely stared in awe as she then began to furiously describe this daughter of his and all he could do was gape at her. “You really saw all that?”
Riza slowly nodded and then said, “And after all that beauty, I was still willing to endanger everything I have hoped for just so that you would live…just so that you could maybe have a taste of that heaven that I have dreamt of. I would have given it all for you… in a heart beat.”
Roy slowly smiled and said, “I know… but I also know that you would not be as selfish and leave to live in this cruel and inhumane world without you too… am I right?”
Riza tilted her head to the side for a second, contemplating his words and then asked with such ferocity, “Yes… I would never leave you and I would risk it all to have you…” Her eyes shone a brilliant gold as Roy brushed away the last of her tears.
“That's my girl.” Roy mumbled against her forehead and softly kissed it before tucking them in under the sheets again. Sleep iluded the both of them as they were then pulled again into the land of dreams, but this time seeing the very same thing…
a small girl running in the market place with Black Hayate in tow. And this time they both were there.
...xxxxxxx...
You like? It's just as corny as my last one… but I hope you like the bit of drama that I added in there...Thanks for reading.
Salute,
Lemony