Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Fateful Abyss ❯ Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Fullmetal Alchemist belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square Enix, Funimation, and others who are not me.



A sound awoke her, a low, feeble groan, and as her eyes slowly fluttered open, Riza realized it was her own. Her entire left side was thrumming with agony, and the rest of her was not far behind, aching with a myriad of lesser pains. Her position was uncomfortable, face down, sprawled awkwardly over something that was different degrees of hard, yet was warm, very warm, and for the moment she hurt far too much to move. So she sent her mind wandering instead, attempting to recall where she was and how she got there. As her gaze fell upon the broken shards of what had once been a metal arm, all the elusive memories clicked frighteningly into place.

"Edward!" she croaked out in abrupt alarm.

Gritting her teeth, she forced her head to rise, her forearm sliding tremulously over rocks and dirt to establish a firm brace. Then she pushed herself up with a hiss, her eyes darting anxiously to the man beneath her.

"Edward?" she called to him again, but received no reply whatsoever.

There was little light at the bottom of the well, where Ed had obviously transported them both, but Riza could plainly make out the damage that choice had inflicted on him. His automail arm was, indeed, a shattered mess at his side, a clear indication that it had taken the brunt of their fall upon impact. At least that was what she hoped as her eyes swept over Ed's pale, unmoving visage. His warmth was the only thing that assured her he wasn't dead, as did the faint caress of his breath as it brushed against her cheek. However, that breath was terrifyingly shallow. Of course, it probably didn't help any that she was virtually draped across his chest.

With a shaky, torturous effort, Riza managed to slide herself off him, but only just. She was still leaning snugly against his side, propped up by him and her own elbow in the space beneath his arm, but her weight would no longer be a burden to him. She took a moment to catch her breath and then continued her examination.

Pivoting as best she could on her right arm, she sent her other hand roaming over his body. First was his human arm stretched out above her, her dexterous fingers feeling through the fabric of his coat for any signs of a break or injury. To her surprise and relief, there were none of any serious consequence, nor were there any she could detect on his legs. The automail of the left appeared to be intact, as well. A closer inspection of his torso revealed more minor cuts and dark bruises, which indicated the possibility of several broken ribs. Riza could only pray there was no internal bleeding, for those injuries were likely the direct result of her landing on him. Equivalent trade be damned; Edward was not allowed to give up his life in exchange for saving hers.

A frown darkened her features as she gazed at him, her fingers reaching to brush stray locks of singed gold off his face. It occurred to her then that she had never seen Fullmetal looking this peaceful. Edward was rarely calm. Even when reading, his expression was full of rapt intensity, his brilliant mind always in motion. The rest of the time, Edward, himself, was in motion, be it his frequent, overly-animated displays of emotion, his dynamic, unyielding drive toward his goals, or his artful maneuvers in the quick and deadly dance of combat. Yet, now, all motion had stopped, and the silent, unnatural stillness was remarkably unnerving.

"Edward," she repeated crisply, her palm moving to cup his cheek. "Wake up, Edward!"

There was no reason she could determine that would keep him from awakening. Unless his head had struck the ground somewhat harder than she knew. Her hand curved behind his head, her fingers gliding over bound silk in search of a possible bump.

A soft gasp burst from her lips and her hand jerked back, wet and sticky and painted red with blood.

Releasing a deep breath, Riza calmed herself, then she gently turned Ed's face toward her and leaned over him to investigate the wound. There was a gash approximately five centimeters in length, though it didn't appear to be as deep as she had feared. It was bleeding, but slowly. All the blood on her hand had likely come from that which had already pooled beneath his head. However, the lump under the gash was as large and round as an egg. Riza doubted Ed would regain consciousness anytime soon.

Pulling a clean handkerchief from her pocket, she pressed it lightly against the cut. Riza knew there wasn't much more she could do. They needed to get out of there, and soon.

Looking up the well shaft, she wondered if the crisis had ended. She wasn't sure how long they'd been down there. She pondered a moment and then halted her ineffective ministration to reach for the silver watch in her companion's pocket and pop it open.

12:11.

She had arrived at the train station a little before ten, so approximately two hours had passed since the initial attack. Surely the General had taken care of the situation by now.

"Hello?" she called out experimentally. "Is anyone up there? Hello?" She paused for a reply, but received none. She tried again, louder.

"Hello?! We need some help down here! Is anyone there?!"

Again there was no reply.

Riza sighed in frustration, then waited a few minutes before trying again.

"Is anyone there?!! We need help down here!! Please, if you can hear me—"

"I can hear you," a hoarse voice complained weakly beside her. "Hell, they can probably hear you all the way in Munich."

Riza glanced down at Ed in surprise and saw his eyes blink sluggishly open. Relief surged through her being as she watched them slowly sharpen into focus.

"I don't care who hears me," she told him, an involuntary smile tugging on her lips, "just as long as they get us out of here."

"Out of where?" he said, voice husky with fatigue and confusion. He turned his head suddenly and winced, then peered blearily up at the well opening for several long moments. "Oh, yeah," he mumbled faintly, contemplating the distant sky.

"Are the bastards gone?" he asked.

"I think so," she returned promptly. "Several hours have already passed. However, no one seems to be answering my calls."

"Maybe they're too far to hear," he offered, his words slurring together.

"Maybe."

"Guess we'll just have to climb out on our own, then," he said, gaze falling onto the ladder rungs embedded before them in the cylindrical wall.

"I don't think I can," she informed him quietly. "I don't think you can, either."

At that, Ed's eyes fell immediately to peruse her bandages. They were both spotted dark with blood, though not as bad as they could have been, Riza knew. Ed had bound them skillfully, indeed.

"Ha!" he said with a snort, turning his attention back to the ladder. "You just watch me!"

Edward made as if to move but then halted, his brow furrowing as his gaze dropped to what was left of his automail. He groaned aloud. "Damn it! Winry's gonna kill me!"

"I should think she'd be proud," Riza countered evenly. "That saved both of our lives."

"Yeah, yeah," he acknowledged, grimacing. "Winry won't wait for the explanation, though. She'll kill me first, then demand answers afterward."

"I'll simply explain it to her beforehand, then," she returned matter-of-factly.

"You..." He paused. "You know, that might actually work. She would listen to you. Have to get out of here first, though.

"Give me a bit of room here," he said in warning, and Riza managed to shift herself back from him a few centimeters.

Ed took a deep, readying breath and then pushed, his left arm quaking, bearing all the weight as his torso curled. Riza saw his teeth clench down hard on what she imagined was a great deal of pain as he slowly righted himself, his knees bending, his feet attempting to find purchase on the ground beneath him in order to stand—

And then he was down, a cry tearing from his throat as his head struck the dirt with a dull thud.

"Edward!"

"Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!" he whined, reaching for his head. His hand came away with a fresh coat of blood. "Damn it!" he cursed as he saw it through pupils barely focused.

"Don't do that again!" she ordered brusquely, closing in, pressing her handkerchief to the wound once more. "I told you, you are in no shape to climb."

"I'm fine," he denied wearily, his breathing coming hard and fast. "I just need to rest a bit, that's all." He let his arm flop listlessly back to the space above her. "Just give me a few minutes here." His eyes scrolled shut.

Riza sighed and shook her head in exasperation. Why were all men the same?

Ed's breathing eventually slowed, but that only served to worry her more. She was afraid that if Ed was to lose consciousness again, he might never wake.

"Edward?" she queried, more sharply than intended.

"Yeah?" he returned, and promptly enough to ease her mind a little.

"How was your trip back home?" Her plan was simple: Keep him talking.

"Good." The briefest response possible.

"How is Alphonse doing?"

"He's good."

Riza rolled her eyes.

"And Winry? How are you getting along with her?" she added quickly, before there was another short 'good' answer.

"She's good, too," he said. "We get along the same as we always do. It's fine as long as she isn't aiming her wrench at me."

"Oh? I thought you liked her."

"I do, I guess. She's just… Winry."

"She isn't special to you then?" Riza asked in surprise. "I always assumed she was since…"

"Since what?"

"Well, you've never mentioned any other girl that I can recall. I don't recall you going out with anyone else, either."

A small chuckle curved his lips. "Well, I've been a little busy."

"I know," she acknowledged. "But that doesn't usually stop a young man from looking. Besides, you can't use that excuse anymore. You've been back with us for nearly two years, surely you've found someone by now."

Ed was quiet for a moment, but then he sighed, almost ruefully. "I guess no one else could measure up," he said finally.

"Measure up? To whom?" she asked, his response tingling her curiosity.

There was another significant pause. "Promise you won't laugh?" he said, sounding awkwardly sheepish and embarrassed.

"Of course not."

"Well… back then, when I was a kid… well, I kinda, sorta, had a crush on you," he finished lamely. Then his eyes cracked open slightly to gauge her reaction.

Riza merely blinked in surprise, several times.

"It's really no big deal," he went on quickly. "I mean, hell, half the guys in the unit liked you too. Heh, I even remember there was a running bet going, on who would get to kiss you first. Did you know about that?"

She simply gave him a look.

"Ha! Of course you knew," he said with a grin. "Nothing gets past you. Well, I was just dumb enough to put some money down myself. Of course, they all laughed at me. Bastards. Still, a kid can dream, you know?

"Then everything went to hell, as you well know, and after I finally got back here… well, like I said, I just haven't met anyone yet that can measure up."

Riza softly cleared her throat. "Well, I'm very flattered, Edward."

Ed simply smiled in response and let his eyelids droop closed.

Riza momentarily withdrew the handkerchief to check on the bleeding. It had slowed significantly, but she pressed it back to his head anyway.

"What about you?" he asked, his tone hushed. "I've never seen you with anyone, either."

"Me?" she said, once again taken by surprise. She pondered a moment on how best to answer him. "I suppose my reason is the same as yours," she said finally. "No one has ever been able to measure up."

"To who?" he asked, lashes rising once again.

Riza merely shook her head.

Ed stared at her for several long moments, silently contemplating.

"It's him, isn't it?" he declared suddenly. "Mustang."

Heat rose abruptly to her cheeks, but Riza said nothing.

"Told you the man's an idiot," he said with a snort, shutting his eyes once more. "You could definitely do better."

"Actually, I'm quite happy with my life the way it is," she informed him coolly, trying her best not to reveal just how deeply his words had penetrated.

"That's good," he returned softly.

"My career is very important to me, you know," she went on. "I'm not really interested in anything that might jeopardize that. This is the path I chose a long time ago and I don't regret it for an instant."

"Good."

She took another breath to continue vocalizing her rationale, but then halted. Somehow, they had come back to the short 'good' answers, and those answers were beginning to grow weak.

"Edward?"

"Hmm?" Very weak indeed.

"I'll make a deal with you," she said, her mind searching wildly for ideas. "If we both make it out of here alive… I'll go on a date with you."

For a moment there was no response, then, one golden eye popped open.

"Are you serious?" he said, his voice infinitely stronger. "Because if I am about to die here, that would be an unbelievably cruel joke."

"I'm completely serious," she assured him, her lips twitching in amusement. "And you are not going to die here."

His other eye opened. "Well, then, where should we go?" he asked, his tone strengthening further.

Riza smiled. "You tell me."

His gaze flicked upward as he considered his options. "You know that restaurant by the park? The fancy one with all the candles?"

"Dieter's?"

"Yeah, that's the one," he said, a smile touching his mouth. "Let's go there. Then, afterward, we can walk together in the park. There's this spot by the river… Al and I used to go there a lot. It's especially nice in the spring. I'll show it to you."

"That sounds lovely," she said, and meant it. "What should I wear?"

"Whatever you like, I guess. You look good in anything."

"But what would you prefer me to wear?" she insisted, though she was inwardly pleased with his response.

"Let's see..." His eyes closed momentarily, but she could see them moving behind the lids as he thought. "If I could really have my choice, then I'd have to say a dress of some sort. I don't think I've ever seen you wear one."

"All right," she agreed. "A short dress or a long dress?"

"Dunno… something in-between, maybe?" he replied after a pause.

"Okay. What color?"

Edward grinned at her, brightly. "Red."

She returned his grin. "Red, it is. Casual or formal?"

"Formal," he said, eyes twinkling, "but not too formal. Formal, but still comfortable to walk in."

"All right then, a semiformal, medium-length red dress. Anything else?"

Ed's lips pursed in thoughtful reflection, then his cheeks flushed crimson. "Not really," he said quickly, after quietly clearing his throat.

Riza arched a brow. "What?" she pressed.

He cleared his throat again, carefully avoiding her eyes. "Well, I don't suppose it would be possible… for you to… well, wear your hair down?"

Riza could not suppress a laugh. "I will if you will," she countered playfully.

Edward blushed again. "Okay." Then he glanced back at her, his brilliant smile returning full force.

"Thanks," he said, the warmth in his voice and his eyes radiating over her, seeping into her skin.

For a moment, it felt as if the air itself had grown thick and heavy, for she was having some difficulty breathing, and then she was smiling back at him. His eyes slowly wandered over her face, until the warmth within them gradually faded and a spark of something deeper, more intense, flickered in their depths.

"I'm sorry," he murmured softly, dark shadows of guilt entering his tone. "I'm sorry I brought you down here. I should have come up with a better plan."

"We're alive, aren't we?" she countered gently. "I don't think we would be if you had done anything different."

"Maybe," he said, though sounded highly skeptical. "I'm still going to get you out of here, though, just have to think of something… something to get us up there." His attention turned to the distant opening above, carefully contemplating. "A long time ago, this well used to work… maybe I could make it work again."

"You mean fill it with water?"

"Yeah," he said, still thinking. "That would make it easier for you to get to the surface… take the pressure off your leg… climb the ladder to the top as the water lifts you…"

"I see, so we float to the top then?" she said, her eyes narrowing on him sharply. "And how, exactly, do you intend to float, Edward?"

"I'm still working on that part," he replied with a sigh. "Didn't say it was the best plan."

He fell into silence, once more, speculating scrupulously. "Maybe if I filled it with dirt, instead," he offered finally. "Have the ground, itself, lift us out."

"That sounds a little more feasible," she said with a nod. "Can you manage it without burying us?"

Ed beamed at her knowingly, teeth glinting white.

"All right, then," she said, amusement lightening her tone. "Whenever you're ready."

"Ready enough." Edward's grin faded as determination set in, then he gathered himself as he had once before and attempted to sit up. His arm shook violently with the strain, but then he was up, his head bowed low as he panted heavily from the effort. "See?" he breathed out, his inflection weary. "Not a problem."

Taking only a moment to recover, Ed's hand stretched forth to the empty space of ground behind him and brushed it smooth. Then his finger dipped into the dirt and a circle was drawn, which quickly became an array. He paused again to shoot her an inquiring look.

Riza nodded briefly.

Then Ed's palm hit the array, igniting it with light, and the ground beneath them began to tremble. Slowly, very slowly, the ground started to rise, easing up the shaft, pushing them both carefully along with it. Ed's hand remained firmly planted on the glowing circle, his face screwed up tautly with intense concentration. But then, his eyes suddenly rolled back into his head, his palm sliding carelessly across the array, instantly snuffing out the light. The rising ground halted abruptly as Ed collapsed back beside her into utter stillness.

"Edward!" Riza's hand leapt anxiously to his face, tilting it toward her as her fingers scrambled to his neck for a pulse. It was there, though alarmingly weak, as was his breathing. She tried to rouse him once more, but all her attempts were in vain.

Peering up the well shaft in desperation, she called for help, praying that someone would hear her. Where the hell was everyone?! Sweat trickled down her temple and her voice grew hoarse as she continued to plead to the empty circle of sky. Riza wished she had one of her pistols, that would surely draw someone's attention, but to her consternation she had lost them somewhere up top during the attack.

Finally, everything became too much. Pain, exhaustion, blood loss, concern — all of it combined and more — was more than her wounded body could bear. With a gasp, she eased herself down from the elbow that was literally aching from the strain of upholding her, her cheek coming to a warm rest on the outstretched arm of the unconscious alchemist. Her weary lids closed in relief over stinging eyes, though Riza told herself sternly she was not at all giving up. She was just going to rest for a little while before trying again.

The irony struck her that maybe she wasn't all that different from those stubborn men after all. She was far too tired to laugh, however.

Her lashes lifted once more until Riza found herself gazing silently at Edward's slumbering profile. Worry for him overpowered all else; he had been through too damned much to lose the final battle here and now. Her admiration for him, for all that he had accomplished, was equaled by few others. Sure, he had made plenty of mistakes, as had they all, but he had learned from them, grown from them, had clawed his way back from the baneful consequences of them with laudable resolution. Edward had become quite the heroic young man, lack of physical stature notwithstanding. He was only a few inches shorter than her, now, and considering his age, Riza didn't think he would be getting much taller. No matter how much it disappointed him.

Still, it was hardly something to complain about, she mused wordlessly, for his outward appearance, though indeed smaller built than most, was perfectly proportioned. Plus, the handsome set of his features by far made up for any other possible flaws. In fact, she would go so far as to say that Edward had matured into an attractiveness that now rivaled Roy Mustang's. Which was saying a lot. For Roy—

No, no… she wouldn't go there. Riza sighed heavily.

It had been several years since Roy's ambitions had been flung to the wayside, and while they weren't altogether dead, they were tempered enough now that he surely had time for more—

Damn it!

Riza squeezed her eyes shut, forcing Roy Mustang and all the futile what-ifs from her mind. He had had his chance. He'd had many, many chances. And damn if she was going to waste her last living moments thinking of him! She took several deep breaths and then let her eyes drift open again.

Ed had not moved.

A sudden chill prickled through her and Riza instantly snuggled closer to him to ward it off.

"You had better not even think about standing me up," she murmured quietly into the stillness. Then she lay there a long while, watching Ed's chest rise and fall, listening absently to the soft, lilting rhythm of his breathing.