Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Fullmetal Alchemist : A Summoning ❯ Rude Awakenings ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or Fullmetal Alchemist. They belong to J. K. Rowling and Hiromu Arakawa respectively.

AN: Seriously, my Embracing the Kitsune fans are gonna kill me for this, but I promise this time next week, I’ll have a new chapter for both of my stories. Also, I don’t have a copy of the book, but I am trying to do this from memory so bare with me. This is a HP world mixed between book and movie because I do have easy access to the movies, but I like the detail of the books better. Ok, you can go read now... ^_~


~Ch 3 - Rude Awakenings ~

Harry looked at his friends with annoyance, but Ron spoke up. “Honestly mate, we would have told you if we could.”

“Yeah,” Added Hermione, “But Dumbl...”

“I know, I know.” The green eyed teen sighed in exasperation before sitting down on a bed.

Ron’s face lit up. “But hey, you’re here now so we can tell you what we do know.”

Harry’s seemed to brighten slightly, but Hermione cut in. “We don’t know much though. We haven’t really been included in order things.” She said cautiously, not wanting to get his hopes up, but not wanting to burst his bubble either.

The atmosphere of the room began to grow somber again, but just then the twins popped in and startled the trio. “Hello Harry!” Greeted George’s chipper voice.

“Catching up on all the gossip?” Asked Fred.

“Actually,” Said Hermione, “We hadn’t had a chance to tell him anything yet.”

“Oh?” Asked Fred as both twins raised amused eyebrows at each other. “Should we?”

“Tell him about our Hermione’s death defying encounter with the foreigner?” George said as he made dramatic hand movements. The twins nodded in agreement and turned back to Harry. “Definitely.” They said in unison.

Fred stood from his place seated next to the boy who lived and flailed himself into the arms of his twin, acting like a damsel in distress. “It was so scary!” He proclaimed in a girlish voice.

“Absolutely terrifying!” added George in an equally high and squeaky voice as he put the back of his hand to his forehead.

Hermione rolled her eyes. “Oh stop it you two. I do not sound like that.” Hermione flustered.

“Hold on a minute.”Harry spoke up on his confusion.“What foreigner?”

“He’s some all powerful German wizard that Hermione has a crush on.” Huffed Ron as he folded his arms across his chest.

“Honestly Ronald.” Hermione huffed back, but directed her attention to Harry. “The order came back from one of their secret missions with an unknown wizard from Germany about a week back. At first he was under heavy guard and all we could do was guess about him.”

“Don’t forget to tell him about the blood.” Added Ron.

Harry shot Hermione a worried glance at the interjection, but the witch answered his unspoken question quickly. “When he showed up he was unconscious and covered in blood. We were eavesdropping on the conversation, but we got caught and haven’t been able to listen in very easily since. From the snippets of conversations we have been able to catch, we think you know who was trying to use him for some dark spell to summon a powerful weapon. We...”

“We need to get to the good part already.” Said George impatiently.

“Yeah, get on with it already.” Fred added.

“I’m getting there.” She said in an exasperated tone. “Anyways, as I was saying. I finally got the chance to see him again after a visit from Professor Dumbledore. I’m guessing he was checking his credentials.” She began in on her deductions, but a loud cough from one of the twins caused her to sigh. “Well, the point is, his guard was lessened and Ron’s mom sent me up with a plate of food for him. I was supposed to leave it at the door, but Mundungus had fallen asleep you see. Being the curious witch that I am...”

~Flashback~
Hermione carried the platter of eggs and toast up the stairs to the third floor. As she looked down at the breakfast intended for the mysterious guest, her mind began to wander. She was curious as to why they were keeping the boy here if they felt they needed to keep him under guard. This was the headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix after all. However, Dumbledore had been to visit yesterday and told them that he was no threat. Mrs. Weasley had seemed relieved to hear that he should be aloud to move around a bit, but to her disappointment, the blond had yet to come down for a meal. This morning, while overseeing breakfast, the mother had sent Hermione up with a plate to ensure he wouldn’t starve.

As Hermione thought over it more, she couldn’t blame the man for not coming out. Even though Dumbledore thought him to be little to no threat, Mad-eye, always the paranoid one, said he wanted to at least have one guard with him at all times until they were certain of him. If she had someone watching her like a hawk the moment she set foot out of her room, she might just stay cooped up for as much as possible too. Stepping on the third floor landing and turning down the hall that led to the guarded room, she noticed Mundungus sitting in a chair and leaning against the wall with his eyes closed. Hermione stopped to think over the situation for a moment. She could always just wake the guard and leave the breakfast like had been intended, but the opportunity to meet the mysterious man had her curiosity peeking. Making up her mind she made her way past the sleeping man as quietly as humanly possible.

Balancing the tray in one hand, she swallowed hard as she grasped the handle in her hand. If she knocked then Mundungus was sure to wake and it would kill her chances at seeing the person on just the other side of the door. Besides, She thought to herself, It’s still early. He’s probably still asleep anyways. Her mind made up, she turned the nob and slowly opened the door. If he was awake and doing something like changing, she blushed at this thought, then he would have plenty of time to say something to the opening door. However, no one said anything and when the door was finally opened all the way she looked in on the dimly lit contents.

The shades were half drawn, letting a little of the morning’s light in, but still keeping the bed shaded. Letting her eyes adjust to the slightly darker room, she made her way toward the bed. Since he hadn’t woken up yet, she would just leave the food tray on the night stand and go. She looked upon the slumbering form of the covered blond and a blush darkened her cheeks. He was quite handsome, sleeping peacefully with his long locks spread about him on the pillow. She shook her head and moved to place the tray down. What am I doing? I shouldn’t be ogling him in his sleep. It’s impolite. She reprimanded herself, but what happened next was a bit of a blur.

As the tray touched down on the wooden surface it made a small clacking noise. The man that had been laying in the bed was up in a flash. She heard him clap his hands and before she even had time to register what was going on, she was pinned to the floor with a blade to her throat. Angry golden eyes pierced her own as a curtain of sun kissed hair fell around her face. “Wer sind Sie?” He said rapidly in a hushed and angry tone.

Hermione’s heart was beating so hard she thought it would pound out of her chest, but just when she thought she was about to be killed his features went from angry to confused. He looked around the room while still pressing the blade to her throat. Then, as if someone had switched on a lightbulb, he seemed to remember something. He looked down at her with wide eyes and jumped off of her. He backed away from her until his legs came in contact with the bed and he sat on the edge of it.

Hermione stayed on the floor, to afraid to move for the moment. She kept her eyes intently focused on him as she slowly reached for the wand in her pocket. Not only had this man attacked her, but the sword he had attacked her with was his arm! Now that she got a look at him in only his boxers, she realized one of his legs was just as metal as his arm. He seemed to notice the direction of her gaze and sighed. She watched as he clapped his hands and placed his flesh hand on the arm-sword. Her eyes widened to the size of saucers as the weapon turned into a metal forearm of a more normal shape. She swallowed hard. If he can preform wandless magic so easily, I don’t stand a chance if he fights me. She thought in fright.

He looked away from her and stared at something off in the corner of the room. “I’m sorry.” He mumbled under his breath, causing the girl on the floor to start. His eyes then turned back to her, a bit sharper as they narrowed in annoyance. “You shouldn’t be in here.” He said with a heavy accent, using a reprimanding tone. He fixed her with a slight glare as he pulled the sheet over his waist.

This seemed to snap Hermione out of her stupor and she quickly got to her feet. “Your right. I’m so sorry! I shouldn’t have come in here with out... it’s just that I was curious to meet you and...Breakfast...” She began to ramble in a nervous, rapid jumble.

Again the blond sighed and held up a hand for her to stop speaking which she did so obligingly. “You vill have to speak more clearly, I have not used English in a long time before this week.” His eyes soften up a small bit as he spoke to her. “Now, vhat are you doing in here?” He asked her slowly.

She blushed and looked away from his intense golden stare. “I uh, was bringing you breakfast and I... just wanted to get the chance to meet you.” She said and then chanced a peek up at him. He had cocked his head slightly, like a curious puppy, and one of his eyebrows was raised in question. “What?”

He smirked at her as he leaned back on his arms. “Do you make it habit to startle sleeping, half naked, men avake to introduce yourself?” He questioned with a slightly amused tone. This only caused her to sputter and blush more furiously. His smile lingered for a moment, but it slipped away to be replaced by the more steely one from before as her eyes settled on his still exposed metal arm. “You should not startle a sleeping soldat avake. It’s bad for the health.” He said as he motioned to her neck. Hermione put her fingers to the sore spot on the side of her neck and pulled back slightly red fingers. She looked up at him shocked and he appeared to be feeling guilty. “I’m sorry I hurt you, but I think you should probably leave now to get that looked at.”


“No, no. I’m sorry! I shouldn’t have come in here without your permission in the first place.” She hurried her way towards the door. “I’ll just leave you to your breakfast then.” Just before she reached the door his voice stooped her.

“Vell?”She turned back to see him staring at the food on the night stand. He finally looked up at her with a cocky smile. “Are you going to at least give me your name?”

Hermione blushed for the umpteenth time that morning. “Hermione.” She managed.

“Pleasure to meet you Hermione. My name is Edward.” He said with his smile still in place.

Hermione smiled back shyly as she rushed out the door and closed it a little harder than she meant to. Mundungus sputtered as he woke up and turned to look at her. “What are ya doin there?” He questioned with a sleepy slur.

“Nothing.” She squeaked and then made a b-line for the stairs. She rushed back down to breakfast, making a stop to clean her neck up before entering the kitchen-turned-diningroom. She acted as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened, but as soon as the teens were alone she spilled the beans.

~End Flashback~

“So, not only does this new guy have a metal arm and leg, he can also preform wandless magic?” Harry questioned skeptically. At Hermione’s solemn nod, he knew she was telling the truth. “So is that it? Is that the only time you’ve seen him?”

“No.” Said Fred. “We saw him once while we were cleaning. Professor Lupin was walking with him past the room we were in.”

“They were carrying stacks of books in their arms too.” added George.

“Mom made us stay where we were, so we didn’t get the chance to talk to him like Hermione did.” Pouted Ron. “He didn’t look all that powerful from where I sat.”

“Anyways,” Hermione said a little louder to draw Harry’s attention back to her. “As soon as I got the chance I looked up what the word soldat, thinking it might mean something important. Surprisingly it was not a magic related term. I used a German to English dictionary and found that the word meant soldier.”

“What kind of soldier?” asked Harry.

“Don’t know mate.” Said George putting an arm around his shoulder.

“But there’s a way to find out more.” Said Fred as he pulled out a flesh colored string.

Ginny shook her head. “It’s no use. Mom’s charmed the door so that they’ll be useless. Besides, I think the meeting is probably more about Harry's trial and Snapes report than it is about the new guy.” She stated.

-

The order had finished the usual business and were now moving off topic, to a subject of a little bit stranger nature. The blond man currently taking residence in the order’s head quarters was the leading conversation topic now. The most particular fact being that of what Dumbledore had asked him to do.

“I can’t believe he did that.” stated the potions master gruffly.

“Dumbledore seems to trust in him and, personally, I find him rather pleasant.” Said Lupin.

“It’s one thing to like a man’s personality, but it’s another thing entirely to ask him to become a member of the staff!” said Snape irritated.

“I agree with Remus and Dumbledore,” interjected Sirius. “I’ve had quite a few conversation with him and, although his tale seems a little wild, he seems to be telling truth.”

“Dumbledore would know if he were lying.” Added Shacklebolt in his deep baritone. “I see this as a valuable opportunity for the wizarding community.”

Sirius spoke up again before Snape could utter his protest. “He has agreed to help guard Harry and the school during the year. This isn’t even his battle and he’s going to help us. We should give him the benefit of the doubt.”

Mad-Eye wasn’t so convinced. “We also can’t forget that he will be getting information from us as well. Not to mention resources and supplies. What’s to say he doesn’t turn on the lot of us. Makes me uncomfortable that we stopped putting a guard on him all the time.”

“If he did turn on us, it would be for his own goals.” Said Snape begrudgingly. “From what I’ve heard, Voldemort wasn’t happy with the results of the summoning and had no idea who the boy was.”

“And he tried to kill Edward.” Added Mr. Weasley. “The enemy of my enemy is my friend.” He said with a nod.

“Are you all over seeing the little detail of his age?” Mrs. Weasley asked in an affronted tone of voice.

“Now, now Molly.” Said her husband placatingly. “We’ve already discussed this. He’s twenty-one and supposedly an officer in his home military. I’m sure he’s more than capable of taking care of himself.”

Tonks nodded. “Yeah Molly, he’s only a little younger than me and I do alright.” She said defensively.

“Exactly my point.” The red haired woman said a little louder. “You saw the injuries he has. No one his age should have had to go through something that would maim him like that!” There was an edge to her voice as she thought over what her own children would go through because of the current war. “Why would any government let a twelve year old into the army anyways? We shouldn’t even let him try to go back to that awful place.” Mr. Weasley sighed as he set a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Lupin, in a calm voice, responded with, “It may seem awful, but his long military experience, even at his young age, would mean a bonus for our own purposes. After he is versed in the basics of how our own brand of magic works, he will be a force to be reckoned with if someone came after Harry.”

“Listen to me Molly,” Sirius spoke, “ Dunbledore has already said he has to keep his distance from Harry for now and an extra set of eye watching his back would make me sleep a lot easier at night.”

“Yes but...” She trailed off in defeat. Molly wisely chose to object no further, for now, and the meeting was adjourned. As the members of the order that were not staying for dinner filed out of the meeting area, Mrs. Weasley made her way to the stairwell to retrieve the children. When she looked up to the floors above she saw the glint of golden eyes watching her from the third floor banister, but their owner quickly turned and retreated from the edge. With a shake of her head, Molly started up the stairs. She would invite the young man down for dinner if she thought it would make a difference. He was rather reclusive and had yet to join them all for a sit down meal. I can only hope he does better at Hogwarts. She thought forlornly for him. If he doesn’t like large crowds of people he’s going to have an even harder time.

- - - - - - - - - - -

IVX: So... What do you think Edward will be teaching? And for those of you wondering about how he is using alchemy... don’t worry. It will all be answered in the following chapters. This chapter was supposed to be mainly from the others’ points of view. I like working a story from different angles, but don’t worry. We’ll soon be seeing the wizarding world through our favorite alchemist’s eyes. If anybody read the fifth book, I have a little spoiler hint for the next chapter that you should be able to get. The title of the next chapter is.... Fears. Put that with the time line of the book and it shouldn’t be to hard to figure out what interesting encounter chapter 4 will bring. ^_^ Oh, and by the way, You guys rock... ^_~