Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Fullmetal Alchemist : A Summoning ❯ Fears ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or Fullmetal Alchemist. They belong to J. K. Rowling and Hiromu Arakawa respectively.

~Ch 4 - Fears ~

A figure leaned against the wall in the shadowed hall leading to the downstairs kitchen. The large gathering of wizards sat around the table with full bellies. The figure in the hall was trying in vain to read a book. The dim light cast from the room just beyond the threshold next to him be severely insufficient. He sighed as his stomach gave a small twinge of hunger induced pain and he debated yet again if he should join the rather large group. The wonderful smell of the food had wafted up stairs and drew him this far, but he had been reluctant to enter the mock dinning room. First of all, he had yet to come to a family meal. Edward had hoped to avoid the bombardment of questions the children might throw at him the moment he showed his face. The order members were aware of the situation, but he had to keep his true and full background from anyone else, including the youngsters, for now. Secondly, he was if unadmitedly, a little aitated with all of the wizards for just being what they were.

Of course he realized with Dumbledore’s request this was one thing he would need to let go of. He figured once he had access and ability to the art as well, he would feel a little less spiteful, but he would need time to deal with his regrets on... less fortunate happenings involving equivalent exchange. As his thoughts turned down this dark and dismal path he began to wonder on how Al was doing on the other side of the gate. However, his rumbling stomach decided to remind him exactly why he was down here in the first place.

Ed had made his way all the way to the bottom of the stairs, but he had been stopped in his trek by steadily raising voices. There was a heated debate going on and about whether or not the boy he was to help watch over, Harry, should know all of the details pertaining to the war. Edward had tried to be patient, not wanting to get into the middle of things and draw more attention to himself, but he was quickly tiering of the attitude the usually kindly woman was taking towards the entire situation. In fact, with his aching tummy and the absurdity of it all, he decided it may be time to make a grand entrance. I barely show my face for a week and suddenly show up to give advice... I’m sure they’re gonna love this. Ed smirked at the though. Might stun them quiet long enough for me to eat in peace though.

“He’s not a child.” Said Sirius angrily.

“He’s not an adult either!” Yelled Molly right back.

“I think you are missing the point entirely.” Said an accented voice from the direction of the door. The room was dead quiet as everyone turned to face the speaker. Edward was standing at the entrance to the dinning area with his nose in a book. He had on a button down white shirt with a black, silver lined, vest over it. A silvery chain hung from the pocket of his black slacks and glinted in the fire light. Knowing that he had their undivided attention with just those few words, he allowed himself one more smirk before schooling his features and lowering the book. Golden eyes scanned over the occupants of the room and he gave an appraising glance over Harry before moving on. Closing his book with one hand, the other in his pocket, his eyes settled on Sirius. “It doesn’t matter what the boy has done...” He started in an apologetic tone, but never had the chance to finish his thought as Molly interrupted him.

“Ha! See, even Edward agrees with me.” She said triumphantly to Black before sending an aproving smile to Ed.

The alchemist cocked an eyebrow at her. “Oh?” He said with patience. “I don’t remember saying that.” He said pointedly and Mrs. Weasley’s smile faltered. “Now as I vas saying... It doesn’t matter vhat he has done Or how many birthdays he has had. It seems that he is a target in this var and in my opinion, the boy should know every detail. It could end up saving his life or the life of someone near to him.” At this he locked golden pools with surprised green orbs and smirk.

An indignant snort came from Mrs. Weasley and it was Ed’s turn to have his smile fade from his lips as she spoke. “I should have known.” She said in a huff. “You’re nearly a child yourself, what would you know.” The dismissive tone in her voice did not go over well with the Fullmetal Alchemist.

Everyone jumped as the sound of a book slamming on the table rang out through the room. All eyes were on the blond again. His eyes were closed and there was as light twitch to his eyebrow. Taking a deep breath, he opened his eyes and raised his arms up in front of him, his gloved fingers undoing the buttons of his cuffs. “Frau Weasley...” He began to roll up the sleeve of his left arm casually as he spoke in a deceivingly calm voice. “I believe you need to seriously reconsider your view of me.” Then he started to roll up the sleeve of his right arm just as casually. However, the metal arm was anything but casual as it glistened like the watch chain had. The ones who had yet to see his substitute limbs were staring slack jawed, but Molly seemed to be fighting off a cringe. With his deed finished he turned steely eyes on the red headed woman. “I have seen more combat than most who are twice my age and I held the title of a high ranking military officer. But most importantly,” His eyes bore into her’s with the intensity of a veteran auror and he leaned on the table with both hands, “I have seen horrors beyond your vildest nightmares, horrors that vould break a gentle soul like yourself. It might be better if you hold your tongue on certain matters in the future.”

You could have heard a pin drop as he let his gaze linger on Mrs. Weasley, but he soon relinquished his hardened gaze and stood up straight again. He turned to the boy he was now standing beside. “You are Harry, ja?” Harry nodded and Ed relaxed his features a bit, placing his right hand on his shoulder. “Good luck.” He said with a half hearted smile and a pat. I would be a hypocrite not to support your right to fight. Having spoke his peace, he left the room.
The silence reigned for a moment more before Sirius spoke out. “Good going Molly.” He said in a sarcastic voice. “His first dinner with us and you’ve gone and offended him.” He scoffed.

Harry sat in stunned silence for a minute as he thought over how the hard metal arm had felt on his shoulder and thought also about why the new comer had stood up for him. Hermione on the other hand, found the title of the book that had been left on the table most interesting. It read, “Hogwarts: A History.”

“I believe,” interjected Lupin. “We were on the topic of...”

Edward stalked away from the room grumpily. He hadn’t been called a child in a good long time, but he had already had enough of that to last him a lifetime. His early adventures in the military had been plagued with the incredulous looks and discrediting comments when ever he had revealed his occupation. He hated being underestimated for anything, but especially his appearance. If he had been a foot taller the woman probably wouldn’t be making such a fuss, is what the back of his mind was nagging him with, but he wouldn’t allow that thought to the forefront. He had grown since he was a teen, but he was still on the short end of average.

So caught up in his thoughts was he, that Ed hadn’t noticed the absence of his book until he reached the first floor landing. He paused for a moment, but didn’t need to think twice about wether or not he should go back for it. Fat chance. He continued walking with his arms crossed. I’ll just find something more entertaining while I wait for them to clear out so I can get some food. As if on cue, his stomach gave a little grumble which only proved to sour his mood a little further. His eyes narrowed and his steps picked up a slight stomp.

Ed hadn’t roamed the house much since his arrival so most of the rooms’ purposes hadyet to be revealed to him. He had just started to pear into a random room when a girl’s loud protests filled the hall, which was followed closely by the loud shrieks of the crazy talking portrait. At this Ed cringed. Who in their right mind would create something like that!? He pondered as his hands covered his ears. Turning in the direction the voices had voice had come from, the figures of Molly and her daughter coming to the top of the stares came into his view. At this Edward jumped into the room and closed the door.

After he turned the lights on, he looked around the room he had landed himself in. It was rather large and looked as though it had been quite grand back in its hay day. There was some type of embroidered family tree handing on one wall and a large fire place on the other. Glass fronted cabinets held an assortment of things that Edward couldn’t quite decipher the use of. After a closer look at the cabinets, he made his way towards the windows. He was going to look out one of them, but the loud buzzing sound the curtains gave off the impression that he would get stung by an entire nest of bees. Then again, I don’t really think I want to know what is making that noise. I’m not in the mood for more magical crap right now. He thought with a frown.
Turning away from the window, he noticed a writing desk in the corner. With nothing better to do, he moved closer to inspect it, but he soon realized that in was quivering. In fact, the closer he came to it, the harder it shook. What he hell? He looked over his shoulder at the door as if someone might bust in and catch him doing something naughty, but seeing the door still closed he turned back to the desk. His infamous curiosity was getting the best of him and with a sigh he thought, I’m probably going to regret this, but... His hand reached out for the lock holding the drawer shut.

Back at the table Sirius was now explaining to Harry as best he could the situation, with out letting to much slip. “Like a weapon... something he didn’t have before.”

What kind of weapon, like something worse than the avada kedavra?” asked Harry.

“That is enough!” said Mrs. Weasley sternly, startling Harry who hadn’t noticed her coming back yet. “I want you up to bed. All of you.”

“You can’t boss us around.” Said Fred, but the objection died on his lips as the sound of a ruff, blood chilling yell echoed through the house.

Everyone seemed to freeze for a moment, but Harry was the first to react. Being closest to the door, he made it to the top of the first flight of stairs before anyone else. The voices of the adults falling on def ears as he raced toward the sounds of a tortured and cracking voice. He sprinted down the hall and came to a stop at the entrance to the drawing room. The sight before him shocked him so badly he lost the ability to move, speak, or even think. All he could do was take in the gruesome scene with morbid curiosity.

There, in the middle of the room, was the strange blond man who had defended his position just a little while ago. His vivid golden eyes were wide in terror as he clutched the bloody body of another blond haired man. The body in his arms was pale and limp. The eyes were doll like and unseeing and there was a massive wound in the man’s chest that seemed to be the source of the astonishingly large amount of blood. Edward had a death grip on the deathly pale man and he spoke with a horse voice. He was speaking in German and the only word Harry could translate was the word he repeated the most often, nein... no. Edward began to rock slightly, his voice dying down to a course whisper, and he buried his face in the other mans hair. Harry stood transfixed on those glassy eyes so like those of Cedric’s on that night.

A moment later, Harry was nearly bowled over by the lanky Professor Lupin. The jostle knocked him out of his stupor. Finally able to tear his eyes away from the scene, he looked up to the face of his former defense against the dark arts teacher and watched a shocked expression cross his face for a moment. The approach of the others pushed the man into action and the werewolf raised his wand. Mrs. Weasley and Sirius made it to the door just as the words left Lupin’s mouth. “Riddikulus!” He shouted as a loud gasp escaped Mrs. Weasley’s mouth and she fell back into Sirus who helped keep her upright from the shock. The spell hit the body of the fallen man in the blue uniform and he suddenly turned into a blond haired baby doll in a pink dress.

The rapid change in size and shape of his brother’s body obviously caught Edwards attention. After looking down at the doll in shock, he threw it away from him in fright. As the doll hovered off of the ground and changed into a spinning shapeless form, it began to approach him again. Suddenly someone jumped in front of him and the thing that had been masquerading as his brother turned into a large glowing orb.

“Riddikulus!” Shouted Lupin again and it turned into a popped balloon that spiraled around the room. As the thing flew back into the writing desk he locked it closed with his wand. The doorway was filling with curious faces, but Lupin took a second to steel himself before turning back to the alchemist. He hated to see the broken look of someone that had just faced their worst fear with out warning. When he did turn around he was surprised to see Edward staring at the desk with a blank, unfeeling look. He made to say something, anything, to the poor lad, but the blond stood abruptly, halting Lupin’s coming explanations and/or words of comfort.

His bangs shadowed his eyes as Ed turned to the door, walking slowly toward it. He didn’t have to ask them to move, but the people at the door parted for him all the same. As his hand made contact with the banister, a teary eyed Molly stepped forward. “Edward I... I’m...” She started, but he just held up a halting hand and continued up to his room.

Ron turned to Harry with a questioning look. “What was all that about?” Harry just shook his head and took off in the direction of his own room as well.

Finding her voice again Mrs. Weasley broke the unease. “Right.” She cleared her choked up throat and her voice came out a little less shaky. “Up to bed with you, the lot of you.” She made a shooing motion and they begrudgingly started their ascent.

-

Edward closed the door and leaned his back against it. He slowly sank to the floor while his eyes stared out unseeingly. The blank guise he had placed on his face had been to keep him from having a break down. Blank the mind, feel nothing, think nothing... and you won’t lose it. This was something that could only be done fro so long though. The image that had been played out before him was fresh and it was forcing its way back into the forefront of his minds eye. Al had been dead... dead despite Ed’s sacrifice to the gate and if that hadn’t worked then there was nothing that Ed could do to save him this time. His worst fear had been that he wouldn’t be able to save his brother and he had just faced that fear head on.

Slowly Edwards blank features tightened into an angry scowl and his fists balled at his sides. He jumped to his feet and practically threw himself at the books on hie night stand. He angrily threw some over his shoulder as he searched for one in particular. Finally his eyes scanned over the title he was looking for. Turning to the index and then quickly flipping to the indicated page, his eyes swept across the text fervently. His scowl deepened into angrily gritted teeth and he threw the book at the door. Fuck this fucking magic shit!

Lupin had just raised his hand to knock on the door when a loud thud surprised him. Looking at the door wearily, he raised his hand to the wood once again and knocked. “Edward?” He waited for a moment as he listened to more sounds of things being slammed before the noise died down. “Edward...?” He tried again, still patiently waiting for a response. After another few moments, the scarred man decided that talking to the door would have to suffice. He leaned against it slightly and took a deep breath as the contemplated where he should start. “What you saw in there tonight, it was...” Lupin lost his balance as the door swung open. He had barely regained his composure when a book was thrust into his arms and the door slammed in his face.

Looking down at the title he read, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.” A look of understanding crossed his face. “I see.” He said softly. “Well, it seems that you would prefer to be left to your own devices. I’ll leave you be, but you know where to find me should you find yourself in the need for talking or merely calming company.” That said, Lupin laid the book next to the door on the ground and walked back down stairs.

On the other side of the door Ed flung himself on the bed with his arms behind his head. His eyebrows were furrowed as he stared at the ceiling, but he was a little calmer now. Though he had no intention of taking the man up on his offer, it was at least nice to think that there was someone here that held some form of concern for him. Though it would have been nicer for someone to have warned him about the damn magical creature that could show you your worst fear living in a writing desk, of all things! He had no one to blame, but himself though. He had been the cat that curiosity nearly killed several times. More importantly, he should have looked at the book of magical creatures closer after his little run in with “Buckbeack” in the first random room he had entered a couple days ago. Couldn’t go around thinking half the creatures he came in contact with were chimeras after all. Besides, he had no intention of getting caught off guard like that again.

Ed rolled on his side and stared out the window to look at the stars. He knew sleep would be hard to come by, but he would at least try to calm his mind by gazing out at the beautiful night scape. He needed to be composed by morning in the very least. It wouldn’t do him any good to let the others think of him as weak after the little speech he gave at dinner. On that note, Ed found it funny that he wasn’t hungry in the slightest anymore. One of the drawbacks to such disturbing images being forced upon you.
-

After the kids were settled into bed, the twins quite literally ‘popped’ into Harry’s room. One of them landing on Ron’s knees who protested in pain.

“Sorry.” Said Fred. “It isn’t easy apparating in the dark you know.”

“So, Harry,” Started George. “You gonna tell us what you saw?”

“Yeah,” Said Ron. “I’m always missing the good stuff.” Protested Ron.

Harry threw a rather nasty look at his friend, but Ron wouldn’t be able to see it in the dark. “It seemed rather personal.” Spat Harry.

Ron made a sort of snorting noise. “I don’t see the big deal. We had to face a boggart with Professor Lupin.”

“Come on Harry.” Pleaded Fred.

“We really want to know what had mum in such a fit.” said George with a pleading note to his voice.

Harry debated over whether or not to tell them. If it had been him facing the boggart, would he have relived Diggory’s death like from his nightmares? If he had, would he really want the others to see it... see what the image would do to him. No... can’t say I’d want to share that with anyone. “Sorry, I’d really rather not talk about it.”

“That bad eh?” Said Fred in an excited voice.

“Now you have to tell us.” Stated George firmly.

“I said no.” Said Harry, equally as firm.

With a sigh Ron realized first that Harry was not going to budge on the subject. “So how about the telling off he gave mum?” Said Ron, bringing up another conversation topic.

“Yeah,” Said George with a giddy tone. “Not often she’s rendered speechless.” He said and the brothers, shared a small laugh. Harry, in the mean time, was thinking on what he had seen in the drawing room and the image of a certain fellow student seemed to overlap that of the unknown blond’s.

-

The next mourning at breakfast, the teens were all very surprised to see Ed sitting at the table, sipping coffee and looking though another book. Even more surprisingly, he seemed to be carrying on a casual conversation with Mrs. Weasley and Sirius, looking up from the pages of his reading material every so often. The twins looked at each other and shrugged before taking a seat and Harry rubbed the sleep from his eyes as if making sure he was seeing things right. Hadn’t all three of them been in a rather heated argument, or something of the like, just last night?

It was then that Ed turned to them in greeting. “Guten Morgen.” He said simply before turning back to read from his book. Hermione and Ginny joined them followed by the rest of the stragglers who were drawn by the ever wonderful smell of Mrs. Weasley’s cooking.

As everyone began to dig into breakfast, Hermione surprised the others by being the first to try and strike up a conversation with Ed. “So... Edward,” She started as she gazed at the cover of the book he was reading. This one was titled ‘The Standard Book of Spells Grade 1.’ “If you don’t mind me asking, why are you reading that book? It seems rather elementary for someone skilled enough to use wandless magic.” She was sincerely interested in his books of choice. If she didn’t know any better, she would say he was starting at Hogwarts this year.

Ed closed the book slightly to read the title as if he didn’t know what he was reading. He then smiled up at the bushy haired girl and answered her. “This is actually the first time I’ve read this kind of book.”

At first Hermione gave him a confused look, jaw hanging slightly open, as if trying to figure out weather he was joking or not. Then she seemed to settle on something and smiled back. “Oh, because they have different books in Germany?” She stated more than asked.

Ed however answered her again. “Nein, because I have never preformed magic vith a vand before. I vas hoping to learn how.” He said with a smirk in place as a resounding ‘what?’ rang through the room from several of the teens’ mouths. “You see, I’ve only ever learned the art of alchemy. I vas under the tutelage of a private teacher and never dabbled in the other branches of magic. As alchemy does not necessarily need a vand, I never felt the need to practice vith one.”

Hermione looked stricken. "That..." She asked incredulously, "was alchemy!?"

“If you are referring to vhen you snuck into my bedroom,” his smirk widened and a twinkle of amusement flashed through his eye, “ then yes.” His eyes drifted in the direction of the other adults as if waiting for something and Hermione was blushing scarlet.

“Hermione Granger!” Scoulded Mrs. Weasley, “What exactly are you doing sneaking into men's bedrooms!?” Hermione cringed and grew even red, if that were possible. All the adults were now staring at the usually reserved, bushy haired witch in astonishment.

Ed chuckled and waved it off before anyone could get too upset. “It is alright Molly. No harm done. The little fraulein just vanted an introduction.” He turned amused eyes on Hermione. “Isn’t that right?” Hermione shook her head vigorously and looked away as she sipped on her orange juice. Well, that stopped her questions. Thought Ed, pleased with his evasion of anymore questions from the overly observant witch.

Edward had already ate and was now only sipping his coffee, so as he looked around at the crowded table he decided it was his time to go. “Vell...” he said with a slight stretch, “I think I’ll go get ready to leave.” He turned to Lupin. “Do you mind if I hold onto those books you lent me for a vhile?”

“Not at all, just send them back at your leisure.” He said pleasantly.

Ed smiled back at him. “Danke.” He said looking deeply into Lupin’s eyes, hoping he understood the deeper meaning to his thanks.

“Wait a minute.” Harry’s voice broke in and Ed turned to look at him. “You’re leaving already?”

“Ja, but don’t vorry Potter, I’m sure ve’ll meet again.” He said cryptically. Looking around at the rest of the room’s occupants he said. “If I don’t see some of you again before I leave, It has been...” he paused to find the right word. “Interesting.” He finished. With a wave over his shoulder, he left up the stairs to gather the couple outfits and few books he had been lent or given. His only worldly possessions... well, in this world at least.

A little later that morning Harry and the others were helping clean when the doorbell rang. The noise had rang out loudly and disturbed the portrait of Mrs. Black again. Mrs. Weasley sent Harry to close the door of the room they were in and before he closed it completely he got a look at the front door. There was the man named Kingsley that had been in his guard. The thing he overhear him saying involved him picking up a certain blond alchemist.

-
IVX:And there you have it. The infamous Boggart scene. I always wanted to do one, but I really didn’t want to do this cross-over in the third book. Good thing I read th fifth book, ja? Hope you enjoyed it. R&R, Thanks... ^_~