Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Her Knight In Shining Armor ❯ Beginnings ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own the characters Ed, Al, Winry or the basis for their past history. They belong to the creators of Full Metal Alchemist. I also don't own any of the fairytales mentioned. I don't own much of anything…
Warning: There will be some spoilers. Anyway there will be threats of rape and murder. Not too vivid though.
There will also be spelling mistakes due to where Lorna originates from. I allowed some spelling error because it's words she would use. And I don't want any flames on it. I'm from where she's from so I just had her speak the way I do!
Chapter Two: Beginnings
After I was done I walked downstairs and peered into the living room. It was large and exquisite. The kind I wrote about in my longer stories, it would be perfect for inspiration. Yet upon finding no one there I turned and headed for the kitchen where I found Edward.
He was sitting on a stool at the island cabinet, soda in hand reading a small hardback book. He looked up and frowned at me.
I clasped my hands behind my back and said a silent prayer before speaking my request. “Can I borrow some food? I'll pay extra in the rent this month, and get my own tomorrow.”
“I guess so.” He sneered at me. “Can't just let you starve.”
I opened the refrigerator and took out two pieces of bread and a slice of ham. Taking out a can of soda I shut the door. Ed had been watching me closely. I got the idea he didn't want me in his business so I just sat down across from him and popped the coke. I wasn't about to strike up a conversation.
“So what do you do?” He inquired closing the book, forcing me to speak with him.
“I write,” I started then swallowed the bite of sandwich I'd taken. “short stories and poems.” I was starting to wonder just how much this meal would cost me.
Ed glared at me hard, “True stories?”
“No.” I answered though I'd already taken another bite. I gulped it down quickly, “I write sort of, poetic pros. Ya know, kind of like poetry in story form.”
He nodded loosening up just a bit. A smile crossed his face which surprised me. “Fine.” He said, opening his book to continue reading.
I finished eating in silence. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps there was a story here. But the concept of loosing my place to stay was too distasteful to warrant further investigation. If there was a story here, it could be uncovered by someone who already had a home.
After eating I went back to the living room. Sitting on the couch was a large suit of armor holding a book. I flinched when it turned to look at me. “Oh hi.” It said, “You must be Lorna.”
“Yes.” I nodded smiling, praying he hadn't seen me flinch.
“I'm Alphonse, but everyone calls me Al.”
`What an amazingly story type name he has.' I thought to my self. `I never heard it before.'
He put the book down and held out a hand to me. “Sorry to startle you.”
“It wasn't you're fault.” I told him shaking his hand. “I've just never seen a suit of armor before. It's like a fantasy, like seeing a unicorn, ya know?”
He chuckled a little as if to show me he was smiling on the inside. “Yes. It's an old suit my father had.” I nodded still smiling.
The rest of the afternoon went well. We talked small talk and laughed quite a bit. Ed looked in on us every now and then. In truth he seemed weirder than his brother. Sure Al wore a suit of armor but at least he wasn't suspicious of my every move.
All in all the day went very well. That night I showered and sat down to look in my small mirror and brush my hair. I thought about what a wonderful story like house this was. I'd always dreamed of being in a place like this. I was sure, if Edward would let me stay, that I could be happy here.
That night was the first time I had the dream. It wasn't to be the same vision over and over, but rather the same place.
I stood in a field under a lone tree. The terrain was full of beautiful flowers and surrounded by a forest. I sat down with my back propped against the tree's trunk and watched the clouds pass by. I breathed in deep the air that was full of such wonderful smells. It was a spectacular place.
When I woke the next morning I felt rested. Still the dream seemed so real, as if I had been there. But then, I'd had those kinds of dreams before. Yet, this one appeared to hang in the air, as though it had some magic to it.
I shook off the feeling laughing to myself. `Magic?' Sure there were some strange people here. Some weren't entirely human. `But magic, is that the right word for it?'
Author's Note
Joy: Well now Lorna has met Al.
Ed: About time.
Al: Brother, be nice to Joy, she's the one writing it.
Lorna: Yeah and I think it's going well.
Joy: Thank you both. Keep reading everyone.