Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Her Knight In Shining Armor ❯ An Unwelcome Meeting ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own the characters Ed, Al, Winry or the basis for their past history. They belong to the creators of Full Metal Alchemist. I also don't own any of the fairytales mentioned. I don't own much of anything…
Warning: There will be some references made to the show. It won't give away anything about the ending… I don't think… Anyway there will be threats of rape and murder. Not too vivid though.
There will also be spelling mistakes due to where Lorna originates from. I allowed some spelling error because it's words she would use. And I don't want any flames on it. I'm from where she's from so I just had her speak the way I do!
Chapter Three: An Unwelcome Meeting
When I had finished dressing I walked down to the kitchen where Alphonse was speaking in a frantic hush to his brother. He stopped as I walked into the room and crossed to the cabinet.
Edward had a serious expression on his face, his eyes following me. I tried hard to suppress the shiver that threatened to work its way up my spine.
“Morning.” Al greeted cheerfully. Still I heard what seemed to be, concern? No, that wasn't it. There was almost an excided apprehension in his voice.
“Morning.” I responded, smiling over my shoulder.
I took a pack pop tarts from the second shelf. Winry had told me they weren't eating that flavor so I could have the box. I also reached into the icebox and took out a small bottle of orange juice.
Walking to the dinning room I sat down at the opposite end of the table. The brothers seemed to have been deep in conversation and I didn't want to bother them. So I took a seat and opened the pop tarts. I hadn't felt like toasting them.
Al's helmet came around the corner. Then he walked in, “You don't have to eat in here.” He was making his way to my end of the table.
“Well ya'll were talking and I didn't want to be eves dropping.” I answered, opening the bottle of orange juice.
“Ya'll?” He questioned sitting beside me.
I had to stifle a laugh because my mouth was full of liquid. I'd forgotten how, much of my words weren't used here.
Also my accent was a bit different. “I'm from a place called Texas. We have a different way of speaking.”
He nodded thoughtfully. “It's nice, different but nice.”
I could hear the smile in his voice. Most people had thought it was weird. But it was part of who I was. What did it matter if we didn't all speak the same?
We talked a little more that morning. Then Al went with me into town to buy some food although he said it didn't really matter.
“You're brother seems to think it matters.” I countered as we walked toward the town.
Edward hadn't wanted Al to come with me. He seemed uncomfortable with our friendship. `Very overprotective.' I thought to myself.
“I know he can seem… well…” Al seemed to be looking for the right words.
“Ed is Ed.” I stated, “That's about the only way you can explain some people. Don't worry I don't mind. Maybe he'll learn to like me.” I smiled.
“It isn't that.” Al shook his head fiercely, “He just likes his privacy is all.”
I nodded. That seemed to be an understatement but I didn't want to say so to Al.
“Lorna?”
“Yeah.” I looked up at him thoughtfully.
“Don't let him get to you. Try and make it work here. Winry and I like you and well, I already think of you as a friend.”
I smiled wide this time, “I think you're a wonderful friend Alphonse.”
Then my eyes clouded over and I looked at the ground. “I don't make friends easily. Too much of a loner, or too shy I guess.”
Al nodded as if he understood exactly what it was like. While I could tell Edward was outgoing, his brother was the exact opposite.
`Maybe that's why he feels Al needs protection.' I thought wishing I had someone to care about me in this new world.
Soon we made it to the village. Eyes seemed to be watching us wherever we walked. Alphonse occasionally looked down at me as if to see if I was uncomfortable. In all truth I was. Not because I was with him, but because people stared at all.
Still I held my head high, as if I were better than everyone else. `Play the part,' I thought, `and they'll leave you alone.'
“Lorna!” I heard my name called from a nearby café. “Why Lorna I can't believe it's you!”
To my horror it was Jake, a nice guy at times, but a little too pushy. I didn't want to expose Al to him. I wouldn't wish to expose anyone to him. Except maybe a girl with some bad PMS who could take him on.
“Jake, how nice to see you.” I tried to smile, but it wasn't the same as when I spoke with Al. “How are you?”
“Fine girl just fine. And who is this?” He looked up at Al as if he was some sort of nut. I cringed. I couldn't let him get to Alphonse; he was too nice a guy.
“Al could you go get a loaf of bread over at the bakery, while I speak with Jake?” He nodded but I got the idea I'd given him the wrong impression.
“Who's the tin can?” Jake asked in a hushed laugh as Al walked away.
“One of my room mates and if you hurt his feelings I'll hurt you.” I hissed. Usually I was nice, but not when it came to protecting my friends. Right now Al was the only one I had, other than Winry.
“Oh feisty little witch aren't you? How about we go back to my hotel room? Leave the slave to do the shopping.” Jake slid his had around my waist and stroked my thigh.
“Get your hands off of me.” I pinched his hand hard causing him to wince. “Al is not my slave and you're not my friend.” With that I turned to walk away.
“We don't have to be friends.” He insisted grabbing my arm and giving me a wicked grin before pulling me close.
Quickly, as if on reflex, my knee went up. With that he let go and bent over. “Don't you dare touch me again!” I turned to go, this time without any hindrance.
As I walked into the bakery I could feel that my face was red with rage. Al was paying out. When he turned he seemed to stiffen, just for a second, then walked toward me with his head down. “Where's your friend?” He asked with a broken voice.
“Oh Al!” Immediately all my rage left me.
I took his arm with both my hands as we started to walk out and down the street. “I didn't mean it like that. I just didn't want you around him. He's such a jerk and always says the wrong things.”
“And you two were just standing close because?” Al's voice was full of pain.
“Al look back, maybe he's still there.” Alphonse turned and we both saw Jake limping along back towards one of the bars. “It wasn't what you were thinking.”
Al stood, watching Jake. “What did you do?”
When he turned to look down at me I felt very embarrassed by what I had done. “I sort of… well… He wanted me to go to the hotel and I uh…”
“Told him no, in no uncertain terms?” Alphonse's voice seemed on the verge of laughter.
I nodded turning red all over again. He laughed out loud and put an arm around my shoulders. I laughed too glad he wasn't upset. I felt like we'd been friends for years.
Author's Notes
Lorna: What were ya'll talking about Al?
Al: We were…
Joy: You can't tell her!
Winry: Am I going to be in this or not?
Joy: You will don't worry. (Looks around) Where's Ed?
Winry: He's mad because Al went with Lorna.
Lorna: Well can we BBQ with the flames?
Joy: Sure, why not? I'm need `em for improving my writing anyway.