Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Her Knight In Shining Armor ❯ Broken Heart ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own the characters Ed, Al, Winry or the basis for their past history. They belong to the creators of Full Metal Alchemist. I also don't own any of the fairytales mentioned. I don't own much of anything…
Warning: There will be some references made to the show. It won't give away anything about the ending… I don't think… Anyway there will be threats of rape and murder. Not too vivid though.
There will also be spelling mistakes due to where Lorna originates from. I allowed some spelling error because it's words she would use. And I don't want any flames on it. I'm from where she's from so I just had her speak the way I do!
Chapter Nine: Broken Heart
The next morning I woke up still unhappy about having had my dream of Al disturbed. I hadn't regained the vision when I'd gone back to sleep. I got up, yawned a bit and went to take a shower. Afterwards I was more refreshed and less irritable.
I walked out of the room and started for the stairs. Then I heard two voices coming from behind the library's closed door. `That's never closed.' I thought taking a few steps closer to listen.
“So what happened?” Winry's voice sounded concerned.
“He said he kissed her. Him, Al kissing her!” Ed's voice didn't seem upset, but rather proud.
`Who'd Al kiss?' My heart was now pounding in my throat.
“He needs to talk to Lorna about this.” Winry's voice sounded a little nervous.
`She knows I'll be heartbroken!' And of course, I was.
“He doesn't want to do anything to upset her.” Ed seemed to be pacing now. “Al doesn't want to loose her friendship, let alone her!”
`Her who? Her me, or her the girl he kissed?' My mind was spinning now as I spiraled down into darkness. `He's got someone. Maybe one of those girls in town.'
Tears threatened to emerge and so I went back into my room, careful to close the door without making any noise. I locked it then locked the bathroom door from my side as well. I didn't want to be disturbed.
`He's not mine. It's not like we're going out. But.' Now the tears did fall. I laid back on the bed. `But he could-a said something! He could-a told me about this girl. I mean don't friends talk about things like that?'
Just then there was a knock at the door. “Lorna?” It was Al. “I thought we were going to town.”
`Why so you can see your girlfriend?' My mind hissed at him.
“Lorna?”
“I'm busy today Al.” I was trying hard not to let the tears overflow into my voice. “I'm gonna be writing all day okay?”
There was silence outside the doorway. “You said you needed to mail something.” His voice was full of concern.
“I can do it later.” I answered kicking myself mentally. I'd have to mail that story in soon.
“Do you want me to bring you something to eat?” Oh why wouldn't he just go away?
On the other hand I was hungry. “Just an apple and some juice please.” I called rushing to the mirror. I had to put on makeup and quick!
My compact fell to the floor as I pulled out the basic essentials. I didn't wear it often but makeup could be a lifesaver at times. A little cover up and some powder and I looked fine. All the red marks from crying were covered.
Then the knock came again. “I've got some apples, oranges, and bananas.” He told me through the locked door. When I opened it I was surprised to see a whole basket of fruit. In a bag he had placed several kinds of juices. “I wasn't sure what you wanted.” He looked down at me.
I smiled while inwardly cringing. `Does he have to be so wonderful?'
“Thanks, I'll probably be worken all day.” I explained taking the basket.
He walked in and looked around my untidy room. The bed was a wreck, and I hadn't even gotten out the typing paper.
“I can stay and help, if you want.” He offered sitting down on the bed.
`Heaven help me! He's perfect and already taken!' I gave him another smile, trying to make it authentic. “No I'll be alright.”
“You seem… upset.” Alphonse ventured not moving from where he sat.
“Just a little flustered. My writing ain't going too well.” I sat down beside him and gazed out the window.
“Maybe you just need a break.” He offered placing a hand on mine. Tears welled in my eyes.
“Can't I have to work, gotta pay the rent.” I looked at him a little too sorrowfully.
“You don't have to pay the rent.” Al said moving his hand to my shoulder. “Winry doesn't need it now, and I can help with your other expenses.”
I smiled wearily. `You've got no idea you're the source of my problem.' “No, it wouldn't be right, my staying here for nothing.” I uttered, barely audible.
He gently stroked my back, “Your just being here is more than enough to me.”
An arrow seemed to pierce my heart. `Why's he so wonderful?'
“I'll talk to Winry and brother.” With that he got up and left the room. I watched him as he went.
He was so perfect, so wonderful, so… so everything I wanted. But he wasn't mine. He'd kissed someone else, taken his helmet off for someone else. He had trusted, some else.
I got up and walked over to my desk. Taking out a sheet of paper, I tried to write.
In the distance, on a hilltop, stands the knight. To everyone around him, he brings happiness. He gives to those who need it, helping all he can. A hero in the eyes of all, except to her.
To her he is everything she's ever dreamed of. Everything she's ever wanted and more. But to him, she is nothing more than a girl. Someone to help, someone to heal. She is only one of many, one of a crowd. He doesn't see the way she looks at him. Doesn't know what's in her heart. For she loves him, but has come too late.
Further in the distance, beyond where her eyes can reach, there is a woman. One he calls his own. One he trusts, the one who is his beloved. And as he rides away, the girl knows he'll come back some day. But always in the background, his lady waits.
Tears filled my eyes again. Quickly I brushed them away. I took the page and shoved it into the back of the drawer.
`He doesn't love me. How could I ever think he would? I'm plain and poor. Nothing about me is extraordinary, nothing unless he is by my side.'
I folded my arms on the table, put my head down and began to sob. Al walked in and slowly closed the door. “Go away.” I sobbed. “Please, just go.”
I felt his hand on my back. It was cold through my shirt. He'd been outside, obviously out at the workshop where Winry was now.
“Is what you wrote so bad?” He inquired kneeling next to me and tapping the desk. He'd seen me writing, saw me put it in the drawer.
I nodded, keeping my head on my arms. “It's probably a wonderful writing.” He comforted, pulling open the drawer.
“No!” I shouted slamming it shut again. I kept my eyes on the drawer, my hand still holding it shut.
He looked at me. I felt although he were hurting inside. “I think maybe you're doubting yourself too much.” He consoled placing one hand on mine as the other rubbed my back. “You're a wonderful writer. Everyone knows that.”
I shook my head, tears running like rivers down my face. “I just… don't want ya to read it.” I finally managed to say, and then looked back at him.
“Lorna, you know I care for you right?” He moved his hand from mine to wipe away the tears.
`Like a sister.' I thought turning to look back at my desk.
Slowly he stood keeping his eyes on me. “I care very much.” He confirmed then walked out the door, closing it behind him.
I cringed as I heard it shut. He cared for me but not in the way I cared for him. How could I let him know that? `It'd ruin the friendship, the only link between us.'
Author's notes
Joy: Please don't cry…
Lorna: You sniff wrote it! Starts sobbing
Al: Can I come in?
Joy: Not the best time.
Winry: Well can I explain?
Joy: No! Now get outta here!
Ed: Outta isn't a word… the spell check says so.
Joy: Yeah and everyone says your short!
Ed & Joy: bickers in the background
Winry: Continue reading… please…