Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Her Knight In Shining Armor ❯ The Past of the Elric Brothers ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own the characters Ed, Al, Winry or the basis for their past history. They belong to the creators of Full Metal Alchemist. I also don't own any of the fairytales mentioned. I don't own much of anything…
Warning: There will be some references made to the show. It won't give away anything about the ending… I don't think… Anyway there will be threats of rape and murder. Not too vivid though.
There will also be spelling mistakes due to where Lorna originates from. I allowed some spelling error because it's words she would use. And I don't want any flames on it. I'm from where she's from so I just had her speak the way I do!
Chapter Fifteen: The Past of the Elric Brothers
“Lor-na!” Winry drew out my name, which snapped me back from the dream. “You're going to freeze out here!” She had a blanket wrapped around her shoulders looking outside the door.
Already my face seemed to have gone numb. `Why does he always fall asleep when I do?'
“Alright, we'll come in.” I called out exasperated.
Al nodded and we rose and walked inside the house. Edward was sitting on the couch looking extremely blushed with a red mark on the side of his face.
`Went too far.' I assumed shaking my head.
“You're going to get sick again.” He fussed, trying to look nonchalant.
I laughed pulling off my coat. “Yep and you're gonna be red for Christmas if ya don't slow down.”
He blushed even deeper, “I slipped!” He proclaimed loudly.
I turned to Winry who seemed red with embarrassment. “He did. It was just a reflex.”
Al walked upstairs solemnly without saying a word.
“What's wrong with him?” Ed asked, watching his brother go.
“He's just upset about, well stuff.” I whispered, taking a seat next to Ed, trying to get warm.
Edward looked to Winry who nodded then left the room. “What about?” He pursued.
I watched the flames dance in the hearth. “He's upset cuz of the armor.” I answered turning to Ed.
The elder brother's face seemed to fall a thousand times over. He looked hurt and bewildered, almost as though he was to blame.
“My fault.” He uttered, turning to look at the fireplace. Tears were in his eyes though they stayed well hidden.
I placed a hand on his shoulder. “It's because of the accident ain't it? He was hurt too.”
Ed only nodded, his eyes never wavering from the flames. “We tried to bring her back.” His voice was soft and sad. “We were little. I thought if we knew enough Alchemy it would bring mom back to us.”
Now I could tell there were definitely tears in Edward's eyes, though he wouldn't let them fall. “If I hadn't pushed so hard Al wouldn't have done it. He wouldn't be…” Ed's voice failed him for a moment.
“She wasn't human. What we brought back. It was a monster, but the equivalent trade still had to be met.” He turned to look at me with those golden eyes.
“I did this to him, to my own little brother. Now he has to pay for my mistakes.” Edward's voice finally broke, “Why didn't they just taken me? Why did they have to hurt Al?”
I wrapped my arms around him tightly. He clung to me as though I were a life raft. Sobs racked through his body. I had begun to feel like a sister to him and it hurt me to see him like this. It was as though I was holding the broken boy he had been so many years ago.
My heart screamed with pain as I held him, `Oh please just let me take this hurt away. Let me take this pain from him.' I pleaded silently to the heavens.
Slowly the sobs became less and less until he was at last asleep. I laid him down on the couch and covered him with a blanket. His face was red from the tears while his eyes were closed tightly. My hand gently stroked his face allowing him to relax.
Standing turned to look at the undecorated Christmas tree. `I've gotta make this the best Christmas I can, for their sakes.'
I looked into the corner where the photo album sat. Inside were pictures of the boys when they had first come here. They stood side by side making funny poses for the camera. Edward wore a red jacket with a black symbol on the back. I looked closely to find it was a snake wrapped around a cross. Above that hovered a crown with wings separated out beside it.
They looked so happy. `I'm the one to blame.' I thought looking at the pictures. `He didn't mind the armor till we became close.'
I closed the book and started for the second floor. Alphonse still needed to talk with someone.
Winry stood at the top of the stairs. “Is he okay?” She whispered, while wringing her hands.
“He cried some.” I told her stopping to talk with her, “He's asleep now. Be there for him, when he wakes up.”
She nodded and slowly made her way downstairs. I watched as she walked into the living room.
`Maybe she should-a been there to see him cry, instead of me.' I thought sadly. `But then again, she already knew what happened. Maybe he can't relive it in front of her.'
I walked into the boys' bedroom. Al stood at the window looking out. I knocked lightly on the door then walked in. He didn't turn to me so I strolled over to stand beside him.
“Alphonse?” I tried softly, “Do ya mind that I'm so dreadfully plain?”
He looked down and me and touched my cheek, “Of course not.”
“Then why should I care bout the armor?” The question seemed to hit a nerve.
He moved to sit on Edward's bed. “It's not the same Lorna.”
I moved with him but knelt on the floor because he kept his head down. “I can't feel you, can't do everything you deserve.”
My heart was breaking again.
“You're perfect and I'm…” He didn't seem to want to finish.
I placed a hand gently on his knee. “Al, we're both only human. No one's perfect, no matter how hard we try.”
“Only human.” His voice echoed.
`He's said that before.' I remembered back to the talked we'd had Thanksgiving.
“What if I'm not human?” Al questioned looking at me this time.
“How couldn't you be?” I cooed.
“Perhaps you're wrong and all I am is this armor.” Why did what he say sound so out of place? It was almost as if he'd been the one in my dream.
“No armor can contain such a wonderful soul and not be human.” I ventured, trying to shake off the peculiar idea of him having heard my dream.
He seemed to be looking deep into my soul now, as though searching for something. Whether it was for my knowledge or sincerity I didn't know. But I gave a soft smile, trying to ease his pain.
“You must be an angel.” He finally broke the silence, stroking my hair. “Or my Beauty.”
I shook my head gently, “Naw. The beast was unkind in spirit, and you have the most wonderful spirit I've ever come across.”
I rose up and kissed the cold metal cheek again. `Even if he can't feel it,' I thought`he'll know what it means.'
Author's notes
Lorna: Well that was depressing.
Ed: Thanks soooo much for That chapter!
Joy: Sarcasm won't get you anywhere Edward.
Al: Where's Lorna?
Joy: Packing to leave… Read on.