Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Her Knight In Shining Armor ❯ The Christmas Rush ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own the characters Ed, Al, Winry or the basis for their past history. They belong to the creators of Full Metal Alchemist. I also don't own any of the fairytales mentioned. I don't own much of anything…
Warning: There will be some references made to the show. It won't give away anything about the ending… I don't think… Anyway there will be threats of rape and murder. Not too vivid though.
There will also be spelling mistakes due to where Lorna originates from. I allowed some spelling error because it's words she would use. And I don't want any flames on it. I'm from where she's from so I just had her speak the way I do!
Chapter Sixteen: The Christmas Rush
“I'm leaving for a few days.” I announced, backpack on my shoulder heading for the front door.
Al stepped out from the living room. “But you can't. It's almost Christmas.”
“I know.” I told him shifting the weight of my bag. “I've gotta go to a larger town and get my shopping done.”
He looked at me then opened the front door. “I'll go too.” He offered, ushering me out.
I smiled and shook my head once we were on the front porch. “Not this time.” I said soothingly. “I'll call ya though.” I stood on tip toes and he leaned down to me. I gave him a peck on the cold metal cheek.
“Sure I can't go?” He pursued, walking me to the end of the drive.
“Positive.” I answered. “That's why I waited to tell ya. So ya won't talk me into letting you go.” I smiled. “I already told your brother and Winry.”
“You told them?” He moaned in a hurt voice.
“Yeah, they wouldn't beg to come. Now don't worry bout me. I'm a big girl and I can take care of myself.” I hugged him one last time then began walking.
He stood at the end of the drive. `Like a puppy.' I thought, `Watching a child leave for school.'
At the train station I bought a ticket to go into the largest town in the area, Westwood. I'd be gone until Christmas morning, Winry'd known that. However she didn't know what I was going for exactly. Just that I was going to get gifts. But I had something special in mind.
The ride seemed like a long one but I spent much of it writing in the notepad I'd brought with me. I checked my list making sure I wasn't forgetting anything. I'd already reserved a room and ordered Edward's gift, it should be ready sometime that afternoon.
When the train pulled to a stop I got up and walked out into the cold air. People seemed to be bustling all around the station. I looked around then found where a map hung on a wall. When I'd located my hotel I began jogging. I'd have to hurry and drop off my stuff because it was already getting late.
“It should be under the name Lorna McJoy.” I told the woman at the front desk. She flipped through the note cards before coming to the right one.
“Oh yes.” She said pulling out the card. “You'll be with us for three nights?” I nodded, she turned to retrieve the room key. It was the old kind like a regular house key. “Room 122.” She confirmed handing it to me.
I thanked her then hurried down the hallway. It wasn't a fancy hotel but not a real cheap one either. It was, in fact, the only room not already reserved for those three days. The whole town seemed to be full of people for the holidays.
As I walked out to the street I looked around. Across from the hotel was a small diner. It was where I'd be eating while I was here. Beside that stood a bookshop. `Careful not to go in there. Or I'll never get my shopping done!' I chuckled to myself then set off for the specialty clothing shop.
I'd sent in the order weeks before along with several copies of photos I'd seen the day we put up the Christmas tree. I had mailed the copies off along with Edward's measurements to have a replica made.
When I first walked in I glanced around. The store also created wedding dresses and other special attire. I walked up to the counter and gave my name along with the order number.
“Oh yes, the short red jacket.” The man mentioned, looking down at his paperwork. “But this won't fit you.” He added looking back up at me.
“It's a gift for Christmas.” I explained, “Is it ready?”
The man smiled again, “Ah, for your boyfriend?” I shook my head and he frowned. “Yes it's finished I'll just be a moment retrieving it.”
While he went into the back room I took time to look around further. There were many beautiful ball gowns along one of the walls. I walked over to a purple one that was just about my size. The fabric of which was extremely soft to the touch. But I didn't have a place to wear it so when the owner came out with the jacket I walked over to the desk.
“Very pretty, yes?” He asked, nodding at the dress.
“Yeah.” I agreed pulling out my wallet.
“It's just about your size. Perhaps you'd like to try it on?” He sat the jacket down, trying to make another sale.
“Naw, I haven't any place to wear somethen like that.” I looked up at him to see that he was frowning again. “Maybe later, if I need one. Your work is so lovely.” He smiled and nodded.
I paid him what I owed, which was nothing short of expensive. But this gift would be worth it.
I walked out with the gift folded in a paper bag. I looked up to see a tool shop. Thinking of Winry I stepped in. There were all sorts of things I'd never seen before.
“May I help you Miss?” An older gentleman behind the counter inquired.
“Yeah, do ya have anything that would do as a gift for an automail mechanic?” He looked at me thoughtfully then led me over to a special room in the back.
“We don't get much call for these sorts of tools.” He explained showing me around. “In fact I only just learned about automail myself a few years ago.”
I nodded figuring he came from world without such things. “What'd ya think would make a good gift?” I requested his opinion, while running my hand along one of the tools.
“Well I have something over here that might work.” He walked past me and moved a few tools over. Behind them was a large toolbox with its lid open. Inside were things I'd seen in Winry's shop.
“This has most of the tools automail mechanics use. It also has the things that tend to break easily.” He picked it up, examining it further.
I noticed the price tag and cringed. “I can't afford anything like that.”
“Well.” He put the box under his arm and a hand to his chin. “I've had it awhile and no one else has wanted it. How about if I take 50 off?”
A smile crossed over my face and I nodded. It still wasn't cheep but at least it was in the budget I'd planned on spending.
“I hope your friend likes it.” He wished aloud, leading me back to the checkout.
“I'm sure she will.” I assumed, following then taking out my money.
He had a puzzled look on his face. “She?”
“Yep, Winry Rockbell.” I looked up from my purse.
“Winry Rockbell? Why I've heard of her. She's the best there is!” His face was glowing. “Tell you what; I'll cut it by another 25 if you'll give her my card with it.”
I nodded taking his business card. “Just tell her I'd like to meet such a wonderful mechanic, and let her know about my automail room. It's the only one around for miles.”
“I'll do that, and thank you.” I smiled paying for the box. `Now I can get her something else too.' I thought glad I'd be able to give her more than just tools.
From there I went into a pawn shop. I wasn't sure what I was looking for this time, but felt there was something I should get.
“No.” The owner was saying, holding a necklace with a large rock on it. “It's not real. Heck I'm not even sure what it is.” He handed the clear rock back to an elderly woman.
She frowned, “But he said it was valuable.” The woman explained looking at the red gem. “I must get my granddaughter something.”
I walked over to the woman and looked at the fake jewel. Her eyes turned up to me, “My husband gave it to me long ago. Said it was real important.”
I nodded. To me it was beautiful. The chain was a delicate gold while the gem was in the shape of a teardrop with a clasp holding the top.
“It's not even real gold lady.” The man behind the counter claimed.
She nodded sadly and walked out the door. I followed her until we were just outside the shop. “Mama,” I said stopping her. “I'd like to buy that necklace if ya don't mind.”
She looked up at me with a grateful smile and nodded. I pulled out several bills and handed them to her. “But it isn't real.” She stated looking at the amount of money.
“Don't matter to me.” I clarified, looping the chain around my neck.
“Bless you, and have a merry Christmas.” She waved as she strolled down the sidewalk.
Author's notes
Ed: Is that what I think it is?
Joy: Well… maybe… possibly
Ed: So we get our bodies back next chapter.
Joy: No Edward. This is 37 chapters long, you think you're going to get it back at 17?
Ed!!!!Why Is It That Long!
Joy: Because I type fast… and have too much time on my hands.