Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Her Knight In Shining Armor ❯ Perhaps You Can ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own the characters Ed, Al, Winry or the basis for their past history. They belong to the creators of Full Metal Alchemist. I also don't own any of the fairytales mentioned. I don't own much of anything…
Warning: There will be some references made to the show. It won't give away anything about the ending… I don't think… Anyway there will be threats of rape and murder. Not too vivid though.
There will also be spelling mistakes due to where Lorna originates from. I allowed some spelling error because it's words she would use. And I don't want any flames on it. I'm from where she's from so I just had her speak the way I do!
Chapter Twenty Six: Perhaps You Can
I woke up in the dream world. I hadn't been there since I'd left for the city. Now it was dark and cold. The snow was gone but the grass hadn't returned. Even the old tree was dead. All that stood was its weathering trunk.
`I guess I'm in hell. Of course, I shouldn't expect to go to heaven after hurting a guy like Al.'
I couldn't weep. My eyes were dry and my heart was gone. The soul than had once written poetry was dead.
`God, if you're listening, take care of Al.'
It felt like I'd come to the end of a long hard road only to find nothing waiting for me in the end. No speeches would be made in my honor. No one cared about Lorna McJoy. I would be forgotten, was one of a crowd, one of many. I was meaningless in the eyes of all around me, worthless, in my own eyes.
I drew my legs up in front of me and clasped my arms around them. My head lay against my knees. Slowly, tears began to fall, not for myself but for Al, whom I had hurt so badly.
“Lorna?” I didn't look up. I was in hell and knew my mind would play tricks on me.
“Lorna? What are you doing here?” The voice was soft and gentle.
“I belong here.” I sobbed, “I deserve to be in hell.”
A warm hand stroked my back soothingly. “You're not dead.” It whispered.
I shook my head, still refusing to look up. “Yes I am.”
“No.” It said, “You're not.”
I felt someone kiss my head softly. Still I refused to move. Then they kissed my shoulder. I couldn't move; if I did this person would be gone.
A hand gently stroked my hair. “I love you.” The voice whispered.
Slowly I raised my head. There he was, kneeling beside me, a soft smile on his face.
I buried my head again. I couldn't face him, not now, not ever. I was supposed to be dead, supposed to pay for my mistakes.
His hand moved and found its way under my chin. He lifted my head and kissed my lips.
I quivered slightly. “But… Oh Alphonse I'm so sorry!” I began to cry. I didn't dare touch him. He'd pull away from me, as I had him.
To my surprise he slowly embraced me in a warm hug. “Hush now, it's okay.”
I felt the pain in my side again but ignored it, “Al, please forgive me.”
“I will, if you forgive me.” He kissed my head again.
I nodded then the pain hit with great force. “Oh!”
Al moved to look at me concerned. “Lorna?”
I cried out in pain. “Please, help me.”
He nodded. “I have to go back to the real world. But I'll find you.”
I nodded; he kissed me again and then was gone.
I laid there in pain for what seemed like an eternity. “Please hurry Al.” I pleaded.
“What makes you think he's gonna come back?” My eyes feel upon a version of myself. She stood over me with a glare in her eye. I'd known her all my life. She was the demon that whispered in my ear.
“He ain't stupid enough to come back to you.” She sneered.
I shook my head, “He'll come back. He said he would.”
“No,” She laughed, “He's a saint and you're nothing but worthless scum. He only told you what you wanted to hear. Now you'll die, all alone.”
Tears ran down my face. “I ain't gonna die. You just want me to give up.”
“What does it matter if he comes back? He ain't real.” She smiled. “That thing lied to you. It's just a puppet controlled by Edward.”
I shook my head, “No Ed doesn't control Al. He's a person all his own.”
My own eyes glared back at me. “Is he? How do ya even know there's a soul in that suit? Did ya see one?”
It was true, I hadn't seen one. There'd been nothing but the blood circle. “But I felt one.”
“You felt one.” She mocked me. “You deserve a guy like Chad!”
“No.” I whispered. “Al!” I called.
The demon laughed. “He can't save you! Ya pushed him away!”
I shook my head. “No, he'll come back.”
“Ha!” She exclaimed, “You honestly believe that? After the way ya treated him?”
“You said he wasn't real.” I countered.
“Oh he's real enough.” She grinned wickedly, “And ya crushed his heart. Destroyed the man you loved.”
Why was I still here? Shouldn't Al have found me by now? Wasn't he coming to my rescue?
“You're just trying to break my spirit!” I yelled at my counterpart. “You only say what ya think will hurt me.”
“It ain't exactly hard.” Her voice was somber. “Only a little more and you won't be here when he does arrive.”
`Darn it Al hurry!' I begged silently. `I'm so tired.'
“Sleep.” The demon hissed.
No, I couldn't or I'd be lost forever.
The rain began to pour around me. It was cold and felt hard when it fell against me. My chest ached and my stomach groaned.
Everything began to fade.
“Sleep.” She hissed again.
Gradually the world began to go dark.
`Sorry Al.' I apologized silently; closing my eyes and letting the darkness consume me.
“Lorna?” I could hear Al's voice.
The darkness around me was the real world. It was raining and the only light was the one in Al's hand.
“Did I die?” I questioned as the sound of his armor came closer.
My eyes closed again before I felt him lift me into his arms. “What happened?”
I blinked and looked up at him, “I shouldn't a left.” Was all I could bring myself to say.
He began walking through the rain slowly, careful not to slip. I closed my eyes and listened to the clanking as he moved.
Memories came flooding back. The dream I'd had surfaced, Al as a boy following Edward's lead as they tried to resurrect their dead mother. The boys' father had left long before.
I watched again as Al lost his body and Edward gave an arm to attach his brothers soul to the armor. Watched their quest for the elusive stone.
Once, while they both sat, broken from a battle Edward's mind seemed to be thinking of how stupid they must seem to others. Al reminded him that at least they were alive. Ed seemed so broken inside, but his brother had tried to keep him from depression.
Al was real, he'd been through a lot, and I'd only added to his pain. Now I agreed with Ed, they were alive.
“Al,” I whispered, “I'm sorry for doubting ya.”
There was a long silence. “It's alright, I doubt myself sometimes.”
I reached up with a weary hand, “How can you?”
He looked down at me, “I can't feel Lorna. Can't smell can't taste. I wondered once if brother had programmed my memories.”
My heart broke, “But ya wouldn't have thought that if that murderer hadn't put the idea in your head. You were starting to forget cuz you'd been so young when your mother died. Most people don't remember that far back.”
Al stopped walking and looked at me, “How do you know that? I never told you.” He didn't seem upset, just confused.
“A dream.” I told him. “I watched you and Edward. I saw ya'll try and bring your mother back. You followed your brother to Central when he went to join the military. You even passed the test, could a gotten in too.”
Al shook his head but listened. “Remember, when that guy with the scar almost killed Ed? He'd offered his life for yours. Ya reminded him that a life didn't equal a life. Ya told him you didn't want that. Well after the other man saved Ed you said that that at least ya'll were alive. I believe that now, both of you are alive, both of ya'll are human.”
I quit speaking and closed my eyes. “You've had such a hard life Al, and I only hurt you more.”
“No,” Alphonse whispered, “You came back.”
He started walking again. All was silent except for the rain and the clank of his metal.
`I love this armor.' I thought silently.
Author's Notes
Al: What happened to Lorna?
Joy: She'll tell you when she's ready Al.
Al: I'll get her to bed.
Joy: Good idea.