Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ I Skip the Little Ones ❯ Theme 9: Unknown Past/Before We Knew Each Other ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Small spoiler for Chapter 87 of the manga and the corresponding Brotherhood episode (I think it's called The Underground Oath, or something like that). READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Also, to SageQuill and 4cherryblossoms: Thank you for your encouraging words! Hope you (and everyone else reading) enjoy the chapter!
 
Theme 9: Unknown Past/Before We Knew Each Other
Mother
 
Roy didn't know how they got in that position, but he really didn't care to think much about it. All he wanted was to lay there with Hawkeye's body tucked under his arm and her head on his chest and his eyes closed. He could feel her warmth even beneath his cotton shirt. It was surprisingly…nice, that warmth.
 
Hawkeye shifted and tapped his chest. “Mustang.”
 
“Hmm? Yes?” He reluctantly opened his eyes and saw her staring at his face.
 
“I was just thinking. In all the years I've known you, you've never told me about your parents.”
 
What is she talking about? “What are you talking about? You've met my mother.”
 
Her eyes made a funny little jerk, as if she had started to roll her eyes but thought better of it. “Not Kris Mustang. Your actual parents.”
 
“Why do you want to know?”
 
“Does it matter?”
 
“No. Roy sighed, looked at the ceiling. “It was a long time ago. Do you know about the incident with the Xingese ambassador?”
 
“Yeah,” she nodded. “His daughter eloped with a soldier. Everyone knows about it.”
 
“Mmm. Their son is my father.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yeah. He was a little nerdy mathematician. My mother was… well, she just was. There was nothing remotely special about her. She stayed at home, raised me. Shopped. Cooked. She was especially ordinary…” He trailed off, suddenly confronted by half-forgotten memories.
 
“She sounds like a nice person,” Hawkeye said finally.
 
“Huh? Oh. Yeah. She used to rescue dogs.” He frowned, unconsciously pulling Hawkeye a bit closer. “I was eight. They died when the house caught on fire. Smoke inhalation.” Hawkeye went stiff, and Roy looked back down, meeting her shocked eyes. “See why I don't talk about it? But they didn't burn, Lieutenant. They were pulled out before they could burn. The smoke killed them.”
 
“I-I…”
 
Don't!” Roy said raggedly, suddenly knowing what she was going to say. “I was eight! It was traumatic, it was horrible, but I don't want your pity! I just… I just… need…Ugh!” Words failed him. Squeezing his eyes shut, he slammed his head back onto the pillow.
 
Hawkeye froze for a moment, then sighed and put her head on his chest. She squirmed until her arm was free, then wrapped it around him. “You're a fool, Roy Mustang. It's not pity if the person cares for you.”
 
Roy frowned, processing that. He decided to change the subject - there were too many pitfalls in that direction at the moment. Maybe, after he accomplished his goal, he could consider that path, but for now…
 
“You've never told me about your mother.”
 
“Hm? I never really knew her. She died when I was young…”