Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ I Skip the Little Ones ❯ Theme 10: Promise ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Because I didn't do this before, consider this a blanket announcement for all chapters:
Fullmetal Alchemist © Hiromu Arakawa. I'm not that good at cliffhangers, nor can I draw that well.
A/N: After #8, or a #8-like incident, so it might be confusing if you skipped… ^_^ Also, spoilers for CHAPTERS 100-101 OF THE MANGA AND A NONEXSISTENT BROTHERHOOD EPISODE. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
 
Theme 10: Promise
Marital Bliss…?
 
“Are you simply determined to spoil her, or is there some ulterior political motive involved?” Riza demanded. She shoved the book back onto the shelf with perhaps a little more force than strictly necessary, but she didn't care; he was a fool. Her anger boiled within her, quickly melting the thick layer of ice between it and her brain.
 
There was a soft click as Roy put down his pen. “What? She can't have a bit of fun?”
 
Riza whirled around, her hands in fists at her sides. “She's the Führer's daughter. She can't go out in public without guards. Just like the Führer can't go traipsing around Central without an escort! Fun has nothing to do with it!”
 
”What does being my daughter have to do with her walking around town?” he shot back. “Not many people know what she looks like, anyway. She should be able to meet people outside of this hellhole without those people bowing and scraping. Besides, she was with me, she was perfectly fine.”
 
Everyone knows your face, it's not too hard to figure out who Lauren is! And, in case you've forgotten, sir, but you can't exactly see very well. Someone could have taken her right from you without you noticing!”
 
Roy's expression froze, and Riza mentally kicked herself. She purposefully avoided the topic of his sight.
 
“I would have known, Riza. Nobody could have taken her from me. Let them try! I will burn them to a crisp!” he rasped, snapping his fingers demonstratively. Suddenly he rose and stormed across his office to her. He grabbed her arm; she winced at his unusually tight grip. “Is that what this is all about? I knew you'd been brooding over something lately, but this-? I thought you were better than that, Riza.” His voice was little more than a hoarse, cutting whisper. Under the anger, there was a small, sad expression - almost as if he was about to cry - but she was too mad to care.
 
At that moment, there was a timid knock at the door.
 
“Come in,” Roy growled.
 
A soldier's head poked through. “Uh, Your Excellency, General Mustang, ma'am, the Drasnian ambassador has been waiting for almost half an hour. He is becoming very… impatient…” Under the combined forces of their glares, he quickly retreated and closed the door.
 
“That's not the issue, you- you-!” She shoved him away. “My point is that I'm trying to protect her, and you. There are some horrible things out there, and she needs to be safe.”
 
He roughly took her shoulders. “So you're going to lock her in a box?” His face was too close; she tried to take a step back, but couldn't. He back was against the bookshelf. “If you want to protect her, then you don't raise her to be naïve. You don't inhibit her, you don't trap her, you let her discover the good and the bad on her own and guide her away from the horrible, so later she doesn't go stir-crazy and run off and get all tangled up in it!” Riza tried to push past him, but he somehow managed to pin her bodily against the shelves. A few books were lying on the floor, but she hadn't noticed them fall.
“Riza,” he said, visibly trying to calm himself. “Riza. She's gotta live. It's not going to be like it was with us: we'll be there for her. But don't try and lock her up. She won't be able to survive later if can't live normally now. Promise me, Riza. Promise me she'll live as normally as possible, not caged, but free. …Please.”
 
His blank eyes stared boldly, desperately into hers and the pleading note in his voice made her anger dissipate. Suddenly she found herself wishing his eyes were normal again, just so she could see them, coal-black and determined. “Yeah, Roy, I promise,” she sighed.
 

No sooner had she uttered the words than his lips crushed against hers. She had a moment to wonder if she was being paid off like some common hussy, but the thought quickly vanished beneath the whirlwind of emotion. She pushed deeper into the kiss, her fingers knotting in his hair. Then a dreadful thought entered her mind and she groaned against his mouth.
 
“The ambassador's waiting for us,” she said when they finally broke for air.
 
Roy smirked. “Let him wait.” He kissed her again. Then he left…
 
…to lock the door.