Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Now ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Pinako watched. It was a hobby, an outgrowth of old age. She noticed everything, even though she commented on little. Not much escaped her eagle eyes. And so it wasn't by chance she observed Winry that day, standing at the window. Her cornflower blue eyes were downcast, with a suspicious sheen. Her hands were twisting at the material of the drapes. A heavy sigh, shoulders were set back as she braced herself.

"They boys aren't much for writing." A gasp of surprise, a guilty flush of her cheeks. "No mail again I see." Winry did not meet Pinako's eyes.

"No. Al is the one who will sometimes drop us a line. You'd think Ed would at least have the courtesy to let me know how his automail is working." A fire lit in the soft blue eyes, transforming them to sapphire. "I work and I slave and he takes my beautiful creations and beats the . . ."

"You worry about him." A statement of fact, casual in reference but the eyes were as sharp as ever, missing nothing through the faint haze of smoke from her pipe.

Startled, her blush intensified. "Al too, I worry about both of them. . ."

"But it is Edward in your dreams, correct?" A piercing gaze, spearing through Winry captures her eyes.

Shocked, breathless her hands convulsed, reaching for her wrench/comfort. "No! What? How . . ." Truth cannot be denied and it was written on Winry's face; red, white, red again, with embarrassment and shock warring.

"It is not a cause for upset, child, unless you try to deceive yourself. That way lies harm. Choose to acknowledge it, and just go on." Pinako barely reached Winry's shoulder, but when she chose to don her mantle of wisdom, she appeared to tower over her granddaughter.

A choking laugh and Winry turned away, staring out at quiet hills of Rizenbul. "So what do I do now. I'm little Winry, sister and all-round pest who tagged along. And now just his mechanic. I might as well be invisible. It isn't like I can walk up and say `oh, by the way Ed, I love you' . . ." The room felt suddenly too small and she began pacing. "He doesn't feel that way about me, grandma. And how can I ask that of him when there's Al? Al needs him more than I do. All I can do is sit and worry and dream. . ."

Pinako loomed above her "Are you my granddaughter? Where is your fire? Where is your determination? Remember WHY you became a mechanic in the first place! Oh - I know you told others you wanted to follow in my footsteps," gray hair swirled out of the neat bun as she waved her arms fiercely at Winry, who cowered against the wall "but I know it was to help Edward, to give him back his arm and leg, to be a part of his life . . ." Abruptly she turned and walked over to the door, standing with her back to Winry. "And now you have a choice. What to do. You will figure it out. But if you have the courage, well now. That will tell me if you are my granddaughter or not." Pinako opened the door. She paused, half turned in the doorway to look at a stunned Winry, and delivered her parting shot. "Rockbell is my name. And your father's. But it wasn't his father's. I know the choices you face. Do you?" Pinako turned and left. Winry slumped to the floor and stared at the closed door, her thoughts in turmoil.

Rockbell, not my grandfather's name? But that means . . . who was he? Does Grandmother mean for me to . . . but how . . . what if . . . will he want me . . .

Winry leaned her head on her knees. She had a lot of thinking to do.