Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Now ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The noise from Winry's workroom was deafening. "What do you mean by destroying my best automail arm ever?" The argument was in full force and Winry had her wrench out. Al sighed. This would keep Ed and Winry occupied for the next hour or so, if past experience was an accurate measure. Time enough to seek out Pinako.

He found her on the porch, rocking and smoking. "Auntie, " he began respectfully, "I need to speak to you. He winced, as much as a suit of armour can wince, as a hammer sailed out of the window to the workroom.

Pinako followed the trajectory of the hammer. "Hmm. I have time. Perhaps you would walk with an old woman?"

"Yes," another crash from inside "a walk would be good."

They walked away from the house, a companionable silence dropping over them. After a time, Al glanced behind them to see the house in the distance.

"I remember Auntie. Once Brother and I fought over who would marry Winry. I won, but she rejected me." Fond remembrance in his voice, a hesitant Al warmed to his subject. "Did you notice how Brother has grown recently? He needed to have his automail adjusted again. His body is changing." Another sigh. "I won't change, Auntie. I am still an 10 year old boy, though I am 4 years older. But brother is changing. He still has his nightmares. But he has other dreams too. And I hear him call Winry's name. When he's near her, and she measures him or works on his automail, he blushes and won't look at her." Al stopped and turned, his demeanour serious. "We have always loved Winry as our sister, but I think for Ed it is becoming something more."

Silence. Pinako and Ed stared at the house. The setting sun began to illuminate it.

"And Al, why do you tell me this?" There was no censure, or surprise in Pinako's voice. Just serenity.

"Because I worry for Brother. He is so consumed by finding the Philosopher's Stone, to return us to our natural bodies. I fear he will deny himself any joy or happiness, for my sake." Al turned to Pinako, pleading "I don't know what to do, that I could do anything for that matter. But I needed to talk to somebody."

Pinako nodded sagely, and puffed away on her pipe. "I understand Al. I share your concern. But what happens is up to the two of them. We must trust them. It is good to share our concerns with our family." She reached up and patted an armoured arm. "You are a good boy, Al. To love your brother so." Pinako started walking. "It is getting dark, we do need to return home."

"Yes, Auntie" Al hurried to catch up.

"And Al?" Pinako kept her gaze forward.

"Yes Auntie?"

"The barn cat you love to play with? She is going to have kittens. The vet and I feel that she could have them anytime in the next 3 days. Would you be able to stay until then? I know how much you love cats . . ."

"Oh Auntie! I will ask Brother - I am sure he will let us. Do you think I could stay with her until she has them?" Excitement radiated from the armoured child, and he skipped with the joy of it.

"Very well," Pinako smiled "She has made a nest in the barn, and will not leave it. I think she will be glad for the company."