Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Now ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Al carried the suitcase, Pinako watched from the porch, and between them, Ed and Winry said their goodbyes. They stared at each other, suddenly uncomfortable. Words not being enough, they finally succumbed to a passionate kiss that left them both breathless.

Holding her close, Ed whispered "Any regrets?"

A soft giggle was his response. Winry raised defiant eyes and whispered back "Only that we didn't do this sooner." She gazed at him intently, as though memorizing his face. "Ed," he tensed, perhaps fearing her asking him not to leave "please come back safe, so we can make some more yesterdays."

Ed smiled sadly. "When I am with you, these nows belong to you, Winry. And one day, when Al and I are whole again, I will give you my tomorrows, too." One last, gentle kiss between them, and the boys turned and walked to the train station.

Pinako watched them go, watched her granddaughter bravely wave, then turn and run into the house as soon as they were out of sight. After all, she never missed anything. Especially not the ring in her pocket, transmuted from steel bolts and pencil leads, that was given to her to hold for Winry. A commitment neither would voice, but that was there all the same.