Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Speaking to an Object ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
Author's note: To those who read my first story `Her Knight in Shining Armor' I'm sorry, but I don't think this one is as good. Sorry, I don't know why but I just wasn't able to capture all I wanted to with this one. Please don't hate me! I'll try again later!
 
Chapter 1: Speaking to an Object
 
I walked across the freshly plowed field, my bare feet leaving imprints as I went. The clouds above threatened to pour down atop my head before I made it home. One of my sandals was broken, forcing me to take them off. The wind had made a mess of my long blond hair. I looked up at the clouds with a frown. My dress would become see-through should it happen to get rain-soaked.
 
I wasn't paying attention to where I was stepping until my foot hit something sharp, hidden just beneath the dirt. “Ow!” I stumbled and fell onto all fours. Then I sat and turned to look at my foot. Already I could make out the line where something had sliced my skin.
 
I moved to see what had caused the problem. There, sticking up where my foot had left its mark was a shining piece of metal. I pulled it out slowly, hoping it wasn't rusty. Looking at the fragment I found an alchemy design on it.
 
“Strange… Oh!” I dropped the metal and my gaze moved to my foot which was dripping blood. It burned as though salt had gotten in it. I supposed that it was the dirt. “Oh great, now I'm bleeding!”
 
“Sorry.” A voice seemed to come from nowhere.
 
Startled I looked around. There was no one there. The field was empty and my house was the closest. I knew there was no one visiting me so I wondered aloud. “Who said that?”
 
“I did.” I looked down to the thing, which had caused the problem to begin with. It didn't glow or move so I jumped a little when it continued with its apology. “I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you.”
 
This can't be happening. “What are you?” I questioned, picking up the shard. I looked at it with wonder in my eyes. “Some sort of possessed artwork?”
 
It gave a short laugh. “No, I'm Alphonse. I'm…” It didn't finish.
 
“Well?” I questioned further, forgetting my foot for the moment. I'd cut myself plenty of times, but never on something that could talk! I didn't believe in magic but at the same time I didn't know much about alchemy. Still I was sure that a speaking object wasn't an everyday occurrence.
 
“I'm not sure anymore.” Its voice sounded like a small boy, making it seem harmless. Still, my mind told me that any nonliving thing that could speak should not be taken lightly.
 
“Well Alphonse,” I started, remembering the clouds and struggling to stand. “I'm Ona, let's get home, then we'll decide what you are.”
 
I winced as my foot touched the ground. It felt as though any light pressure would cause the stabbing feeling to return. Hopping seemed to be my only method of getting across the field. I started to, wobbling as I took the first two jumps. But then I stopped, thinking of something. “You don't have friends in this field, do you? I'm still barefoot.”
 
The talisman gave another laugh. “No, I'm alone.”
 
I smiled and began hopping again, almost falling with each leap. My arms were stretched out to the sides, trying to keep my balance. It did seem weird to be speaking with a thing rather than a being, but on the other hand it was just too much of an opportunity to pass up! My curiosity wouldn't allow me to just leave the thing behind.
 
My house was square and flat to the ground. It had no porch, no stairs. It was plain and painted a dull grey. I made my way back to it and managed to get inside just before the clouds let loose their fury. With a roll of thunder the torrent came down.
 
 
Inside my home was a small one bedroom. It had been left to me when my parents died. The front door led into the dining room/living room, which were connected. From the front door I could look across the bar into the kitchen. The door to my bedroom was opposite its opening.
 
I set my shoes down on the floor and the speaking object on the bar. After that I moved to the bathroom, leaning against the wall. I went straight back and made a quick right.
 
I'd have to bandage my foot. Making it to the hospital wasn't an option. So I got out all the needed supplies, which I just happened to keep on hand. Looking in the closet I rolled my eyes. I'm so accident prone! But at least I'm ready when something does happen.
 
 
I sat down at the kitchen table and moved the object from the bar. “So...” I started, as I began cleaning my wound, touching it as lightly as possible. “What do you think you are?”
 
“I think I'm… I don't know that either.” The voice sounded so sad that I stopped what I was doing and looked toward it. How could a thing so show much emotion with only the use of a voice?
 
“You said your name was Alphonse. So that means you're a boy right?” It didn't make much sense but at least that gave me something to go on. Any piece to this puzzle would, or rather could, make a big difference to the overall outcome.
 
Apparently the metal was thinking too because he questioned me sadly, “But shouldn't I be… human, if I am a boy?”
 
“Ah!” I streaked as I poured the alcohol into my wound. It stung like a thousand bees all attacking in unison. And not one of those insects was backing off!
 
“Ona, are you ok?” Alphonse asked quickly, unsure if he'd done something wrong. I could tell that he would have been on the verge of tears had he been human. His voice was enough to show that.
 
“I'm fine.” I mumbled, after I'd blown against my foot, the movement of wind easing the pain just a little. Still I cringed as I continued speaking. “I do this all the time. Just stings when you have to clean the stupid things!”
 
“I'm sorry.” He whispered, in an even sadder voice. I hadn't realized it could have gotten any more miserable. It made my heart ache for him.
 
I placed the gauze against my wound and winced. It still stung but I tried not to make any noise. “You know,” I started, wrapping my foot with bandage tape. “Once I cut myself on a blunt object.”
 
There was a soft giggle. “Blunt object?”
 
I nodded, unsure if Alphonse could actually see me. “Oh like it couldn't happen to anyone!” I took my teeth and tore the tape. Then I pressed it down firmly, biting my lip against the pain the pressure was causing.
 
I continued recalling the incident to him. “It was letter opener I had gotten one in the shape of an old time sword. It would have been understandable if the blade would've been the one to poke me, although it wasn't sharp. Oh no I had to do it with the other end, you know the handle?”
 
Alphonse was laughing now. A smile spread across my face, this was a child, I was sure of it. For nothing else could laugh like that. It tugged at my memory, trying to uncover something I'd buried long ago.
 
I stood cautiously and picked him up. Moving carefully, I made my way to the overstuffed green couch. I flopped down and propped my foot up on the coffee table. My eyes gazed out the double windows that looked over the field where I'd found my new little charge. The rain was coming down like a flood.
 
Shifting a little, I continued with my story. “Well it was on the floor and wedged somehow. I moved my foot and it hit something. But since I'm who I am, I forced my foot against it anyway, not bothering to see what the problem was and moving it.” I took a breath. “So in the end, I stabbed this very same foot with a blunt object. And I've got the scar to prove it!”
 
The boy metal laughed some more, “But you're okay now, right?”
 
My head nodded again. “Sure, and I've done worse than this to myself, and with no help from anyone!” I chuckled once more. “So don't worry, if you hadn't been there it would have just been something else.”
 
Alphonse stopped giggling, but said in a somewhat cheerful voice. “I'm glad you found me Ona. I've been so lonely.”
 
My face turned to concern at that statement. “What do you remember Alphonse?” I held him up and blew the dirt away from the circle which was obviously all he consisted of.
 
“I remember… everyone called me Al.” He paused a moment. “And there was brother, and mom, but…” His voice seemed to grow sad again. “She died and brother's gone. He left me. I think maybe he died too.”
 
I hated to see a child in pain. It broke my heart to hear someone so young sounding so depressed. It didn't mater that he was only a small circle. He still had the soul of a child. “What was your brother's name?”
 
“Edward.” His voice was soft. “Edward Elric. But some called him… Fullmetal. I don't know why though.”
 
That seemed to spark something in my memory. I thought for a moment before the information surfaced. The Fullmetal Alchemist, he was a hero. Same age as me I think… Then I asked, “Al, he was a State Alchemist, wasn't he?”
 
“I… yes I think so.” His voice seemed to brighten just a bit before it waned again. “But he's dead now, just like mom.”
 
“No.” I shook my head and sat up straighter. “The Fullmetal Alchemist didn't die, he retired. But that was close to seven years ago. I remember because it was on my thirteenth birthday.”
 
“But…” The boy's voice lightened again, “Then he's… he was thirteen when I… when I got lost. I remember that much but… I still can't remember anything else.” His voice dropped slightly. “Why can't I remember?”
 
“Well.” I supposed aloud, “If you've been in that field seven years I wouldn't doubt you'd loose some of your memories. Perhaps you're the reason he retired. All I know is that he didn't need to keep searching. Maybe you've got something to do with that.”
 
“But why would he just leave me? Doesn't he care about me anymore?” The child seemed to be wondering to himself rather than speaking to me.
 
My heart broke. Here lay the remnants of a child who had; no body, no memory, and now doubted his brother's love for him. “What if he thinks you're dead?” I offered. “If you used to be something other than just this small piece of metal, and I bet you were, then maybe he thought your… circle had been broken too.”
 
I didn't know much about alchemy and was sure the words were wrong. I'd always hated science as a child. So the thought of alchemic reactions was too much to my mind.
 
“You're probably right!” Al was thinking positive again. “He just doesn't know I'm still here, that's why he didn't find me!”
 
A smile crossed my face again. “Well then we'll just have to find him.” I looked out at the storm which was still going strong. “After it quits raining.”
 
 
 
Author's notes:
The blunt object story… it's actually true. I did it while writing `Her Knight In Shining Armor'