Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Looking For Help ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
Chapter 2: Looking For Help
 
“Ona?” A soft voice called from my nightstand.
 
I turned on the small half bed. Shifting from under the covers I managed to find and pull the string to the lamp, he was sitting under. The light only lit up a small area, but it was enough. “What is it Al?” My voice was tired and seemed to be coarse with sleep.
 
My eyes were heavy, but my instincts had awakened me upon hearing the child's voice. I supposed it was just the thought of Alphonse being alone all those years. I wanted to assist him in some way, no matter how small or large a task that would call for.
 
“Were you asleep?” He whispered to me, just as I had done to my mother so many times.
 
“It's alright. What do you want?” Turning to prop myself up I tried to shake the sleep from my voice, which ended up being harder than I thought it would be. Apparently I'd been out cold before he'd spoken.
 
He sounded sad, “I was just wondering… if you were still here.”
 
I had found out that he couldn't see. Hearing seemed to be the only sense he possessed. Talking was his only method of communication. It pained me to think of the darkness he was in, with only noises being able to reach him. Even a blind child could taste and smell, Al could do neither
 
“I'm here. Do you want to talk?” By then I was fully awake. I wanted to help, and if he needed to speak with me early in the morning, then that was just fine. I'd do almost anything to take away the pain that now accompanied his young voice.
 
“Ona, what time is it?” He was thinking about my needs, showing that his heart was both soft and kind.
 
I looked out the window into the darkness. It was hard to tell if it was the clouds or simply nighttime. Then I saw lightning roll in the distance and I knew it was the storm, it had yet to pass. The weather seemed to be as endless as the skies and as restless as my new roommate.
 
I glanced down at my small brass alarm clock. It was fifteen to five, much earlier than I ever woke up. But right then that didn't matter. “It's morning.” I lied to the child. “I need to get up anyway.”
 
“Are you sure? It's hard to tell.” Al couldn't sleep, which had probably left him lonely even when his brother had been close.
 
I got up and walked to the wall to switch on the overhead light. How could I sleep while this child was scared? “I'm gonna go ahead and get dressed, but we can talk if you want to.”
 
“Is it still raining Ona?” I looked out the window again. While the clouds still hung in the sky they had quit pouring. The fields were soaked and the wind had dislodged a few branches here and there.
 
“No, it's not raining.” I mumbled, pulling off my nightshirt and looking through the closet. I pulled out a red one. “But it's still cloudy out.” I slipped the shirt quickly over my head.
 
Al mumbled something I couldn't hear. I knew he wanted to try and find his brother as soon as possible. The waiting was something he was having trouble with. In his condition time seemed to be a foreign object. He couldn't tell it by the sun, or even by his own exhaustion.
 
“Hey Alphonse,” I pulled on a jean skirt and tugged at the stuck zipper. “I could see about calling Central.” Finally it zipped and I fastened the button. “Maybe they'd know where Edward is.”
 
“Really?” His voice was happy. “But… why would Central know?”
 
I shook my head thoughtfully. He really couldn't remember much of the years he'd spent following his brother, as Edward worked for the military. “That's where the Fullmetal Alchemist worked out of. I think he had a dorm type room there. Surely they would know something.”
 
 
After going to the bathroom, brushing my hair and teeth I returned to the bedroom and picked Al up taking him to the kitchen with me. That way I would be able to fix breakfast as we continue our conversation. I'd have to bide my time, calling this early wouldn't get us any information. But I'd told the boy it was morning. Technically it was, just not as late as he supposed.
 
I took out an iron skillet and turned on one of the gas burners. Then I added some grease and bent over to retrieve the carton of eggs. I paused a moment letting the cool air blow against my face. As I was pulling the eggs out I almost dropped the milk. Careful! I scolded myself mentally.
 
Breaking an egg and letting in slide into the pan my finger accidentally touched the edge of the now hot skillet. “OH!” shoot! Ow Pain ow! I stomped my foot on the floor and shook my hand furiously trying to make it quit hurting.
 
“Ona?” The child's voice was full of worry.
 
“It's alright Al…” I calmed down a little. Moving to the sink I turned on the cold water, then I put my finger under it. “It's just a little burn, nothing too serious.”
 
He giggled slightly, “You are clumsy, aren't you?”
 
I rolled my eyes and laughed. “Yeah, well… alright I guess I am.” Turning off the water I found that my egg already needed to be attended. I had to hurry and grab a spatula so it wouldn't burn.
 
Al stopped chuckling. “When do you think you could call?”
 
This kid's got a one-track mind! Though, I guess I can understand. He's been alone for so long…I hope is brother is findable now. The thought had crossed me that Edward may have lost his mind. Living without family was hard; I knew that for a fact. I had heard he'd had a major breakdown. I hoped he hadn't done anything hasty. If he had I wasn't sure what I'd do.
 
“Well, I think it's a little early to start calling anyone.” My gaze fell on the clock which was just barely showing five. Way too early. I told myself. “But after breakfast I can start looking up numbers in the phonebook.”
 
 
I'd moved the phone to the small coffee table and had a list of numbers on a tablet. Al was sitting next to it. I was bent over holding the receiver. “Hello, I'm calling for information about Edward Elric, The Fullmetal Alchemist.” I held the phone close to my ear, praying the people in Central knew something useful.
 
“Why are you requesting this information?” The man on the other end of the line sounded suspicious, which made me flinch involuntarily.
 
“We were friends, and now I'm looking for him.” I lied into the receiver, and then added in a hushed tone. “It's personal sir.” I hoped that would work.
 
There was a murmur on the other end of the line. Then he came back, “I'm afraid we have no record of Fullmetal's location at this time. Perhaps you should check with Miss Winry Rockbell in Resembool.”
 
 
I took down the information then thanked the officer. Hanging up I turned to Al, who'd stayed quiet. “Have you ever heard of a Winry Rockbell?”
 
“No. I don't think… well… maybe…” The poor child was becoming confused. Trying to recollect the memories only made it harder on him. “I'm sorry, I just can't seem to remember.”
 
I nodded then picked up the phone and dialed again. Realizing he couldn't have seen my response I told him, as it rang. “Don't worry, we'll find him.” Then I tapped my pen on the table impatiently.
 
Finally there was a click as someone answered. “Hello?”
 
“Hello, this is Ona and I need to speak with Edward Elric.” I requested, crossing my fingers. Please be there. My lips moved in silent prayer.
 
“Edward?!” The person who'd answered was obviously a young woman. “Please do you know anything about him? I haven't heard from him in years. Is he ok?” Her words were rushed and hopeful.
 
“No, no.” I frowned and let out a short sigh. I was sorry I'd called. “I'm needing to speak with him. I was told by Central that you might know where he is.”
 
“Oh.” There was a little sound of pain on the other end. “No, I'm sorry. Edward's not here. No one's seen him since… since…” She was crying now. “I'm sorry I can't help you. Please don't call again.” With that the line went dead.
 
Al heard me hang up. “Any luck?” His voice was no longer full of hope; instead it was failing him completely.
 
I leaned back sorrowfully against the couch. “Sorry Al, but we'll find him. It'll be alright.” I sat forward again and picked him up off the table. I frowned at having failed him. “Until then, you can stay with me. If that's what you want.”
 
“You'll let me?” The optimism had returned. “But… how will I find him? I can't…”
 
I didn't like where he was going. “WE will find him. Don't worry, WE will.” I stressed the word we so that he'd know he wasn't alone. I couldn't let him think that, not ever.
 
“Thank you Ona. That means a lot to me.” Those words struck somewhere keep in my subconscious. That's right; Clemont still owes me for getting him the medicine that healed his daughter. And he knows alchemy!
 
I moved to stand. “Al, let's go talk to one of my friends. He only lives a little ways from here.” Grabbing my purse I headed for the door. “He's and alchemist who might be able to help.”
 
“What can he do?” Alphonse questioned as I slid him carefully into my pocket.
 
“He's looked into creating fake limbs and bonding them to amputees. Maybe he would know how to get you a body.” I paused to lock the door. “If nothing else he may have information about your brother.”
 
“Do you really think he could help me get a body?” The child sounded as hopeful as ever.
 
“Well.” I didn't want to dash his expectations as we walked along the dirt road. No one ever drove it anymore so it would be safe to talk. “What he does isn't exactly official. The military doesn't know about it. He creates human body parts from nothing. He's never made a whole person, but I bet he could.”
 
“It's illegal?” Al sounded worried now.
 
“It just isn't government sponsored. But whatever you and your brother did doesn't exactly fall under what they would consider right.” I didn't wait for him to ask what I meant before explaining further. “If your soul was attached to something like armor, then you must have tried human transmutation. Or at the very least soul transmutation, which apparently worked.”
 
“Do you think that's bad?” He sounded sad, but I had to take a moment to consider my response. It was a good question, not one to be taken lightly.
 
“No, I don't think so.” I watched as a kitten played in a field, chasing a butterfly. “And anyway you two must have only been kids. Children make mistakes. It's part of growing up. You shouldn't be held accountable forever.”
 
 
Author's Notes
 
I'm not sure how to spell the name of the Elric's hometown. But Resembool is how several of the websites spell it, so I guess I'll go with that.