Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Medical Genius ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
Chapter 3: Medical Genius
 
Walking up into the yard I could see that the clouds had no intention of backing off. It seemed as though they were trying to stop me. I know it sounds strange, but the previous afternoon and night had been extremely bizarre. Clouds following me would be nothing!
 
I walked up the steps to the two story house and knocked on the door. The porch was one of those that wrapped around three sides of the house. It was painted a light blue with white trim. Clemont had kept the place in relatively good shape.
 
His wife answered the door with great surprise. She was taller than me with red hair, and wore a white apron. “Oh Ona!” She greeted, then embraced me. “We weren't expecting you. I didn't think anyone would be out in this weather.”
 
“Hi Lori, I'm here to speak with Clemont.” I explained, as she ushered me inside.
 
She led me into the living room. It also doubled as a library and study for the couple. Not long ago the true library had been transformed into a play room for their eight children. Now the living room consisted of a single couch and many books, which were piled high like pillars. Papers lay scattered everywhere.
 
I moved around the clutter finding my way to where I knew his desk sat. “Well, have you buried yourself in paperwork again Clem?” I smiled, calling him by his childhood nickname.
 
A head came up from behind a stack of books that surrounded a hidden desk. His black hair was a mess and his brown eyes were tired. “Ona? Is that you? Where have you been? We haven't seen you in so long.” He moved to hug me as he always did, and then turned to his wife. “Lori, why don't you get our old friend something to drink?”
 
I motioned her not to. “That's okay, I'm here to call in a favor.” She gave a small nod and left, closing the large double doors behind her.
 
“A favor? Well that sounds about right.” Clemont sat back down at his desk before pushing some papers off of a small wooden stool. “Sit down and tell me.” He stretched a little by leaning against the back of the chair.
 
“How large are the things you've been able to create?” I knew Al could hear me and I hoped he didn't speak up too soon. If I could manage it Clem would go for the idea without giving me any trouble. Otherwise he could lecture me on what was right and what was considered taboo.
 
My old friend leaned back and put a hand to his chin. “Well, I've been able to replace full limbs, and even some organs.” He gave me a wary look. “But you have something else in mind. Am I right?”
 
I nodded, and then baited the hook. “I need you to make the body of a child.” His eyes grew wide as I reeled him in. “I need it be about ten and I could use it as soon as possible. That is, if you think you can do it.”
 
An eyebrow rose as he looked at me. “Oh I'm sure I could. But what would you do with a full body?” Then he leaned forward, his elbows on his knees and his clasped under his chin. He added in a whisper, “You can't raise a child without a soul.”
 
I gave him a wicked grin, “I've got a soul to go in it. I'm just not so sure you can do it.” Then I leaned back, loving the fact that I could still taunt him. I hadn't had the chance since we were kids, back before my world had been torn apart.
 
“Show me this soul. Is it of a dying child?” His interest had been peaked, just as I knew it would.
 
I shook my head still grinning. “No he's not dying. He just needs a little help.” I slowly pulled the piece of metal from my pocket. Holding it in both hands I said, “Alright Alphonse, time to tell him.”
 
“Hello sir.” At hearing the child's voice Clemont jumped. His eyes grew wide but he couldn't seem to speak. “Ona, is he still there?”
 
“Yeah Al, he's just a little shocked at the moment.” My attention turned back to my friend. “Can you help us?” I gave him another grin, enjoying the look on his face to the fullest.
 
He nodded his head up and down. I'd never seen his eyes so large. Since he was still awestruck he motioned for me to follow him though the hidden door. It had been built in behind one of the panels which couldn't be seen from the windows.
 
Clemont had made the house himself, without the use of construction workers. That meant that only those closest to him knew where the doors were. Even though I'd known him and Lori my whole life, I still didn't know where all the hidden passages were. It was incase I was taken captive, should word of his work leak out.
 
The passage was dark and damp. As we descended a long stone stairway Clemont regained his voice, though it was still a little on the shaky side. “What is he?”
 
“He's Alphonse Elric and I…” Clem turned to me so quickly that I almost stumbled.
 
“Elric? The brother of the Fullmetal Alchemist?” His eyes were ablaze with wonder. I only nodded. “Then it is true!” He turned and picked up his pace but continued speaking. “The Fullmetal Alchemist was rumored to have bonded the soul of his brother with a suit of armor. During a battle over the philosopher's stone, not far from where you live now, the boy was thought to have died. Fullmetal believed his brother's seal to be broken, though no such evidence was ever found.”
 
We reached a lower room, which I knew well. It was full of jars of water with developing body parts inside. Lungs and hearts floated side by side, growing to fit their new owners. This lab was dimly lit until he flipped a switch causing it to become blindingly bright. I blinked, trying to regain my sight.
 
“But what about brother?” Alphonse sounded as worried as I was.
 
“Fullmetal retired shortly after. No one has heard from him since, or at least not that I know of. Now.” He held out a hand and I gave him what was left of the young boy. “I'll need specifics. Things like eye color, height, hair, what you looked like at the time of the accident.”
 
“Accident?” Al was confused again so I decided to explain.
 
“He doesn't remember anything except his brother's name and that his mother died.” I could see the concern in my friend's eyes. He wanted to help, and couldn't afford to get this wrong. The outcome meant far too much.
 
“Well, I've got some photos of the young state alchemist.” He sat Al down and moved to a bookcase, pulling out a folder. “He was a hero of mine. After all he was right about the same age as us.” He looked to me and I nodded.
 
It was hard to believe that this man had eight children. Triplets were rare and they'd had two sets. Just two months before Lori gave birth to twins. If the couple kept it up the house would be overflowing before they hit twenty five!
 
He showed me a picture of the young prodigy. “He was twelve here. I'll make a few adjustments though.” His attention turned to the younger Elric. “Do you remember your hair color?”
 
Al heard his question, “Light brown, I think. And my eyes were… I'm not sure.”
 
“Don't worry, half the time I can't remember my eye color with all the kids running around the place!” Clem laughed which made the boy giggle. “I'm not even sure how old I am anymore.”
 
“Twenty.” I told him with a grin. Then I turned to Alphonse. “Twenty years old and father of eight!”
 
“Eight?” I could tell the child was shocked.
 
“Yes.” The proud father laughed. “Well let's get on with this. I'll make your eyes grey.” Then Clemont moved to the counter. “Take a seat Ona, we're going to be working on this for some time.”