Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Know Him ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
Chapter 11: Know Him
 
When I looked back at him, Edward was staring at the doorway. I turned; Al was standing there with wide shocked eyes.
 
“Alphonse.” Ed whispered, just loud enough so I could hear him. His voice was hopeful yet unbelieving. To him, having the child standing before him was a miracle.
 
I walked back toward the door. “I told you to stay in the truck. What are you doing in here?” He can't see his brother like this. I knew it would only add to the confusion. Too much stress could hurt his still new body.
 
The child's eyes were glued to what was left of the once great Fullmetal. “I heard yelling.” Al ran toward me. “Ona, it's not him, let's go.” He was pulling my sleeve now, his eyes looking into mine, pleading for me to leave.
 
I kneeled down, to look directly at him. He seemed so afraid of something. “This is Edward.” I tried stressing to him. “He is your brother.”
 
Al bit his bottom lip, which had begun to quiver. “No.” He shook his head fiercely. “That's not my brother. Please sis, let's go home.” He pulled at my arm again, harder this time.
 
“Sis?” Ed finally spoke up, his gaze shifting between the two of us. “But Al we don't have…”
 
“No!” The boy refused to listen, and instead began screaming. Hot tears were running down his red cheeks. “Brother is dead! Ona's my sister now, she takes care of me!” It was becoming too much for him to handle.
 
I grabbed his shoulders tightly. “Don't Al. Please. Remember what I told you about love?” He shook his head, so I reminded him. “Love is something you have as a family, no matter what. That.” I took hold of his chin and forced him to look at Edward. “is your brother.”
 
Al shook his head, tears were pouring down. He was like a confused wild kitten, trying to be captured and placed into a cage. “No! I'm going back to the truck.” He pulled away roughly before I could stop him.
 
I watched as he ran out the door. Something within told me to let him go. He needed some time alone. Yet in the end, the truth, that this was his older brother, would have to be faced.
 
Turning I could see the shock in Ed's eyes. His head was slowly shaking from side to side in disbelief, staring at the door. “How?” He murmured turning to look at me. “How is it possible?”
 
I moved to stand with my back against the cold concrete. Slowly I slid down it, sitting next to the pour disheveled man. “I found him. Or what was left of him.” I pulled my knees up close to my chest and wrapped my arms around them.
 
I waited until I had his full attention before I continued. My gaze was trained at the room. “It was about to rain, and my shoe had broken. I was cutting across a field to get home when I felt something stab my foot. There he was, a piece of metal, apologizing to me.” I shook my head sadly. “It was so strange that I couldn't help but take him home.”
 
My head shifted to look back at Edward. “He couldn't remember much; just his name, his mother, and you.” A smile crossed the elder brother's face as I spoke. “The poor kid wasn't even sure what he was. But I took him to a friend of mine who…”
 
I wasn't sure if I should continue. After all, the person sitting beside me used to be a state alchemist. Could he be trusted? I shook my head, he had to know, Al was his brother. “My friend, used a science our military doesn't approve of. He made the body. When the blood seal was close enough, it took over, finishing the job.”
 
“It wasn't alchemy?” Ed's eyes were looking deep into mine. Hoping against all he knew, that what I spoke was the truth.
 
“It's a science that does use some alchemy. But like I said, the government doesn't approve.” I leaned in closer. “If word got out, my friend could be in a lot of trouble. Your brother would be taken as an experiment.”
 
He nodded in recognition of the fact. But then he slowly bowed his head. “He doesn't know me. Al doesn't even want anything to do with me now.”
 
My heart wouldn't let that happen. “He's going to have to learn Edward. It'll just take some time to adjust. You're ten years older than him now. You have to give it time.” My head leaned back against the cold wall. “At least you have the chance to try. You should be grateful for that.”
 
I could feel his eyes on me but I didn't move. Nothing could make me speak about my past. It was too much for my heart to take. Emery was fifteen now. He'd spent two years in that orphanage. No one seemed to want to adopt a teenager. He was alone, and I couldn't even visit him.
 
“I don't know where to start.” Edward's voice brought me back. “I can't even walk anymore. How am I supposed to be there for him.” I opened my eyes and he pointed to a rusty automail leg and arm. “I outgrew those years ago. I'm a joke that isn't even very funny.”
 
He turned to look at me with eyes full of pain. “And now my brother comes back to find me like this.” A tear traced down his cheek. “He probably blames me. It was my fault he was ever in that armor. Now…” His voice failed him.
 
He hung his head as I moved a hand to his shoulder. “Come back with us. You can get cleaned up. We'll figure things out from there.” I stood and held out a hand. “Your little brother still needs you. He just doesn't realize it.”
 
Ed gave me a wary smile and took my hand. I helped him up and got his crutch. We made our way slowly across the floor. “What if he doesn't accept me? I'm not the brother he remembers.” His voice was soft and pain stricken
 
I remembered back to a talk I'd had with Al. “What if… what if he doesn't want me, cuz I won't be me” I took a deep breath, these two were so much alike. “You don't have to be the brother he remembers. You just have to be his brother. That's all he really wants.”
 
When we made it into the sunlight Edward had to shield his eyes. Al was sitting inside the cab of the truck, his face red with tears. When he saw us he turned away. Still doesn't want to accept the truth.
 
We walked up to the truck and I opened the passenger side door. “Hey Al.” Ed's voice was breaking and there was a nervous smile on his face.
 
The boy didn't turn to look at him, didn't respond. But he did move over to the middle of the seat. It took great difficulty to lift Edward into the truck. The younger boy refused to help. I could hear the soft moans of pain coming from his brother. I wasn't sure if it was physical or mental pain that hurt him so much.
 
I closed the door and walked around to the driver's side. My eyes gave Al a disapproving look before I climbed into the cab. As I buckled up I murmured, “Put your seatbelts on.” Both brothers did so, except that it was harder for the elder.
 
I could see him looking at his little brother. His eyes were hurt in so many ways. My own heart broke for him. They needed each other, no matter what Al thought.
 
I started the truck and pulled onto the road slowly. There was no need to rush now. I couldn't guarantee what would happen at home. For the moment they'd be forced to stay side by side. It was something I wished I had to endure with my brother.
 
 
As we pulled up to the house I shut off the truck and sat there for a moment. Then I turned to Al. “Help your brother out.”
 
The boy scowled at me. “He's not my brother.” With that he folded his arms across his chest and looked out the front window.
 
“Fine.” I took off my seatbelt. “Help Mr. Elric out of the truck.” He glared at me. “Alphonse, you are going to sit here until you agree.”
 
“Fine! I'll just sit here!” He didn't make a move so I rolled down the window. I started to relax, if I did get out he would follow. It was going to be one long afternoon.
 
 
After a few minutes, with a little difficulty Ed rolled down his window. “He doesn't have to help me.” His voice was soft and sad.
 
“If he wants out of this truck he does.” I turned to the elder. “If you want me to I can help you out but he'll still get punished.”
 
Al turned his head up to me. “Why Ona? He isn't my brother!” He was scowling and still had his arms folded.
 
“Because, you have to help people when you can. It doesn't matter if they're family or a stranger, you need to be nice.” I was bullheaded enough to sit in that truck all day, if that was what I needed to do.
 
“Fine.” The boy gave in. “I'll help Mr. Elric.” He refused to look at him though.
 
I opened my door and climbed out. Alphonse followed behind me. Grabbing his hand, I led him around to the other door. He opened it with a frown. I held Ed's side as he turned in the seat. His brother took his hand as he hopped down. Then Al retrieved the crutch and handed it to him. As soon as his brother had it he broke in a run for the house. I'd given him a key which he used to get in.
 
Edward was watching closely. Then slowly we walked to the door. By the time we made it inside, Al was in the bedroom with the door shut. Inside I could hear the radio, not blaring, but loud enough he could ignore us.
 
I helped Edward to the couch. He slouched down into the softness. “I'm not so sure about this. He doesn't want me here.” His voice was completely betraying him now.
 
I'd moved to the kitchen to get my guest a glass of water and something to eat. “It'll work out. And he'll get over it.” I bent down to look in the icebox. There wasn't much choice without cooking. I took out the things for a sandwich. “Is ham ok?”
 
He nodded so I pulled it and the bread out. “After you eat you can take a bath while I wash your clothes.” He looked up at me. “I've got a robe you can wear until they're dry.”
 
I put the sandwich on a plate and carried it to him with a glass of tea. I hadn't realized we still had any. “Thank you.” He nodded, accepting the food with a forced smile.
 
Al had shut the music off and was listening to us. It'll work out somehow. I told myself.
 
Author's notes
I know this one seems to be moving fast but I'm not sure how much more I've got to add. I know what, I just don't know how much. Ok now I've got myself confused!