Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Years Apart ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
Chapter 12: Years Apart
 
Ed had managed to get into the bathtub and was now soaking. I took his clothes and tossed them in my small washer. Its door was parallel to the front entryway. It looked like a closet if someone didn't know it was there.
 
Al had come out of the bedroom but was still sulking. He sat at the table pretending to read, though I'd noticed he hadn't turned the page. “We don't need him here sis.” His face turned up to look at me. “I don't need him. I've got you.”
 
I shook my head as I folded laundry. It was piled around me on the living room floor. “Please Al, give him a chance. Doesn't he deserve at least that much?” I laid down a black shirt atop the others.
 
The boy shook his head and scowled at me. “I don't want to give him a chance.” His eyes diverted from mine and the frown deepened. Only now it seemed to be more sad than angry. “He's not the same.”
 
I stood and walked over to him. Leaning on the table I shut the book. Then my hand ran through his hair. “You were worried he wouldn't want you, remember? You thought because you wouldn't be the same he'd turn his back on you. Now you're doing it to him.”
 
Alphonse looked up at me with a sad expression. “But he scares me.” I could see the tears forming in his young eyes. “He's so much bigger. And… his arm and leg… I'm afraid of him.”
 
I sat down beside the child, placing a hand on his. “It's ok if you're scared. He is too.” Al didn't seem to buy that. “He's afraid because you're turning away from him. Don't you think that hurts him more than anything? It would hurt you if the rolls were reversed.”
 
Now tears streamed down his flush cheeks. “I didn't think about that.” He wiped his eyes with his arm. Then he looked back at me and whispered. “But I'm still scared of him.”
 
I leaned forward and touched my head to his. “It's alright, just try. That's all you have to do. You'll learn.” I heard a noise in the bathroom. “Now, I need to speak with him. Why don't you go and try to rest. Clemont said stress could hurt your new body.”
 
He nodded and stood. Then he hugged me tightly before heading off to the bedroom. I watched him as he went. Please be ok, and understand what you need to do. I prayed.
 
Edward came out in a generic bathrobe I'd given him. He looked at the bedroom door before continuing toward me, using the crutch. “How is he?”
 
Ed sat down and I put my head in my hands. “Better.” How was I going to break it to him? “Al is… scared.” I lifted my head to look at the elder brother. “You're so different now. He doesn't remember you without your limbs and it scares him.”
 
The poor man hung his head in shame. “I was stupid, tried to go against the rules of Alchemy. Al lost his body, and I lost my leg. Gave my arm to attach his soul to that suit.” He threw his head back. “I condemned my brother to a life without feeling. A life as a hollow shell. Some big brother I am.”
 
“Edward.” I placed a hand on his shoulder, causing him to look at me. “Older siblings are… stupid sometimes. We make mistakes, things we can't change.” I lowered my head back onto one of my hands. “We seem to screw up not only our lives but those of our brothers too.”
 
His hand moved to touch my arm. “What happened?”
 
Tears welled up in my eyes. My soul begged to be free, pleaded with me to tell someone. Everything had been bottled up in me for so long. After two years no one knew what was in my heart, that everything had been my fault.
 
Edward was my peer in more than one way. He, if anyone could, would be able to understand. “They asked me to watch him. All I would've had to do was take him with me. He could've come to the movies with us…” My mind was replaying it like a movie.
 
 
“Mom! I don't want to take him!” I'd whined. “He's such a baby!”
 
“Ona, why can't you be a good sister and take him to the movie with you?” She and dad were going out to a romantic dinner. It was something they did every other month.
 
“Why? Can't you just take him over to Matt's house?” I had grabbed my coat. “Or has his only friend turned on him?”
 
“Now Ona…” Dad tried…
 
“No!” I'd screamed. Emery was sitting in the stairway. His eyes looked so sad when he gazed at me. “Get your own friends!”
 
 
“I stormed out of the house.” Tears streaked my face as I relayed the memory. “They were taking him to his friend's house. But there was another driver, whose breaks failed. Dad died instantly. Mom… asked me to take care of my brother.”
 
Ed touched my hand. “What happened? Why isn't he here with you?”
 
I shook my head, my voice breaking. “They won't let me have him. They say I'm too young, said I couldn't take care of him. Now he's stuck in that orphanage and they won't even let me see him!” My arms folded across the table and I laid my head down to cry into them.
 
“It wasn't your fault Ona.” He comforted. “You had no way of knowing. There was no way you could have…”
 
“But if I'd only taken him with me. Mom and dad would still be here. We'd have the big house in town.” I sobbed. “Now it's gone, I couldn't make the payments.”
 
“Don't worry… We'll figure out something.” Ed whispered into my ear softly.
 
 
I looked up at him. He knew what I was feeling. He'd been the elder, tried but failed in so many ways. That was why he was like this now. He had broken on the outside, while I was slowly being destroyed on the inside.
 
“How about if I give you a shave?” I brushed the tears away as my mind turned back to the current problems with Alphonse. “That would help you look younger, and I'll fix your hair.”
 
He nodded and allowed me to help him stand. I took a chair to the bathroom with us so he could sit down. After he was settled I took out the razors and shaving cream. I shook the can and ran some water in the sink. With a wet rag I soaked his face, and then added the cream.
 
“Now.” I murmured raising the blade. “Sit still.”
 
He grunted a little before I started. Slowly I moved the blade along his face. I was more careful than when I shaved my legs. I hadn't bothered to tell him I usually nicked myself. But with him I went slowly. He needed to look younger if his brother was to be comfortable around him.
 
After I finished I rinsed his chin off. It was now smooth and he did look several years younger. He was now the picture of a young adult rather than an experienced man. I smiled and held up a small mirror so he wouldn't have to turn.
 
He stroked his face slowly. “That's me…” His eyes flashed to mine, then back to the mirror. “I do look younger.” A smug grin crossed his lips.
 
Setting down the mirror I picked up a hairbrush. “Now what do you want me to do with all this hair? It's as long as mine.”
 
The grin faltered and he hung his head. “It needs washing. I couldn't really do it myself.” His hand moved through the tresses.
 
I nodded, noting that it was wet but not clean. “Well… Do you think you could stand up at the kitchen sink for me to wash it?” Ed nodded so we moved into the kitchen.
 
 
I stood to his left so he could use me for support. Luckily I had a small hose that fit on the hydrant for washing my own hair. I lathered it up twice for good measure. By the time we were done his clothes were dry.
 
He changed in the bathroom then came to sit on a chair in the kitchen. I used the hairdryer to dry it faster. “How do you wear it?” I asked brushing out the tangles.
 
“Back when I could, I wore it in a braid.” His eyes were brighter than they had been back at the warehouse. I could see a slight spark as he gave a sad grin. “Sort of hard to do that now.”
 
I leaned down to whisper in his ear. “It's alright, that's why I'm here.” A smile passed over his lips but he didn't say anything. I stood straight and carefully brushed his hair. It was so soft and shined now that it was clean.
 
Still he seemed worried about his missing limbs. “Some big brother he's got.” He murmured as I fixed his hair. “He comes back from the dead and I have nothing to offer him. I can't even walk or take care of myself anymore. I'm not going to be much use to him like this.”
 
I couldn't help myself, I put down the brush and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, giving him a tender hug. “You can have other automail limbs made. Until then you'll stay here. Give you two a chance to get to know each other again.”
 
He placed his hand on one of my arms. “Thank you Ona. You've done so much.” I backed away and he looked up at me. “But I can't stay here. I'd be in the way.”
 
“No you won't. I'll set up a cot in my room. You boys can sleep in there.” I started working on his hair again. “And I'll sleep on the couch. I've been staying in here anyway.”
 
He smiled up at me as I finished braiding his golden locks. He was quite handsome when cleaned up. Maybe he would've taken my breath away, had my heart not been locked up so tightly. “You're wonderful, doing so much for strangers.”
 
“Well, I guess I've just been lonely.” I turned toward the bedroom door with a short sigh. “Ready for me to call Alphonse out?”
 
Edward breathed in deep before nodding. His expression showed fear and apprehension. “As ready as I'm gonna get.”