Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Heal as I Hurt ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
Chapter 17: Heal as I Hurt
 
Edward lay on the bed, worried anticipation painted across his face. Al stood next to him with a frown but his eyes glowing. “You can hold my hand brother.” He took it in his.
 
“No.” Winry shook her head, still looking down at the attached automail. “When we connect the nerves he could hurt you.” She was concentrating all her energy on her work.
 
Al frowned deeply. He wanted so much to help his brother. Not being able to do anything would break his heart. “Why don't you hold his arm instead?” I offered, trying to sooth the child. “That would still mean a great deal.”
 
His gaze turned to Winry who nodded. He took his brother's arm in both of his hands. Ed gave him a grin and a wink. He'd been through this before, but it wouldn't be like when he'd had repairs. Now several years had stretched between this operation and his last connection. That alone would make it more difficult on him.
 
“Take hold of this.” The mechanic pointed to a wrench that was connected to a bolt on Edward's leg. She was directing the order to me. “When I say to, pull with all your might. I'll do the arm at the same time. Alright?” I nodded accepting my job, praying it didn't slip.
 
“I'll count and we'll do it when I get to three, ok.” Then she slowly began counting. “One, two,” I held my breath. “Three!” I pulled as hard as I could. Sparks flew as the energy traveled up to his body.
 
He jerked violently, freezing with his back arched. He held his mouth shut but the moaned seemed almost as loud as a yell. His eyes were wide in the pain. Then it was over. His body relaxed, and he dropped to the bed, and the sound was gone. His eyes closed as he passed out before us.
 
“Brother?” Al whispered, touching the elder's face. Tears welled in the child's grey eyes. “Will he be ok?” He looked up to Winry, afraid that his sibling had just died right before him.
 
Winry placed a hand on the boy's shoulder and gave a tired smile. “He'll be fine now. He just needs to rest. Come on, you still haven't eaten this morning.” He nodded and followed her out of the room, but looked back over his shoulder at us.
 
I took a seat and sighed heavily. It's over, it's finally over. Now they can be like a normal family.
 
 
Edward woke just as the clock struck twelve. He blinked weakly. His head turned and his gaze fell on me. “Ona?” He breathed softly. I nodded and took his real hand in both of mine. “It's over.” He sighed before going back to sleep again.
 
 
The next day he was able to sit up and move the arm a little. Alphonse was at his side speaking with him as I passed the open door. The child's face lit up the room. The elder smiled and nodded, listening to his every word. “And so you should be able to walk by the end of the week! Won't that be great? “
 
I turned from the room. They hadn't noticed me looking in on them so I decided to let them alone. They needed to be left undisturbed, giving them the time to just speak and do nothing together.
 
Winry was in the kitchen washing some dishes. I strolled in and took a rag from the counter to start drying. “Thanks.” She murmured. Her face was glowing, happy with patient's progress.
 
“Al says Edward should be walking by Friday.” I told her drying a plate, trying to make polite conversation without sounding too sad. “Ed's trying to be so strong for his brother.” She nodded thoughtfully in response.
 
“He's always been like that.” She told me, her voice was that of someone reminiscing. “He went into the military to research the philosopher's stone. Always pushing himself harder than he should have. Now he's finally got Al back, and those two will be just fine.”
 
“Yes.” I nodded, a wary smile on my face. “They should be just fine.” I looked to where we'd left the wheelchair. “You can keep the chair if you want. You'll probably find someone who needs it.”
 
She smiled at me. “Thanks, I could use it. Some people come in here on crutches. It's hard for them to get around. That should be a big help.” Then she paused. “You know, Ed never said how Al got his body back.” She kept her eyes on the dishwater as she continued scrubbing the dishes.
 
“A friend of mine.” I explained, drying the silverware. “He knows about things like that.” She didn't say anything so I didn't bother to continue. The three of us had agreed back at the house to keep Al's secret from everyone. Knowledge could be dangerous for the person who possessed it. It was better if Winry didn't know, for her own sake.
 
 
The days seemed to pass by quicker than I wanted them to. After the week before, I had hoped this one would creep along. Instead it sped along without mercy. Soon Ed was standing, though he had to use a cane to get around.
 
I had been sitting in the living room looking through a book. “Well, how does it feel?” I asked him with a smile as he walked into the living room. Al was right beside him. “Being able to walk again?”
 
He grinned broadly. “Ona, it feels wonderful!” Sitting down beside me he sighed and looked up at the ceiling. “Soon I'll be doing everything for myself.” I could feel the happiness radiate from him
 
“Yeah! And we can go on walks, and swim and all sorts of stuff.” The boy was standing beside his brother happily, a hand on the automail arm. To him the world was full of wonderful possibilities.
 
I grinned, trying to cover my breaking heart. He'll be able to care for Al now. I knew this day would come. I just didn't expect it so soon. My mind went back to when I had first moved into the house in the country.
 
 
Looking around I found it empty and lonely. Oh Emery, what am I going to do here? I'm all alone. How am I supposed to survive? Our parents had left plenty of money, but it wouldn't be enough to save our family home in town. The home in which I had grown up.
 
I spent months just crying. Clemont had tried to comfort me but I'd pulled away. Lori offered for me to stay with them but I'd refused. I wouldn't go on living a happy life while my brother was alone in the orphanage. I couldn't, it would be wrong.
 
 
“Al tells me your house is a one bedroom.” Winry and I stood on the balcony watching as Edward tried out his new leg on the soft snow. He was bundled up, as was his brother. She turned to look at me. “It sounds like the three of you were crowded there.”
 
I nodded with a smile. “Yeah, but it was worth it. Just look at them.” I pointed as Al did a cartwheel across the yard. He fell down laughing. “They're so happy now. That's all that really matters.”
 
She watched them too. “Yes. But you know, they already have a home.” I flinched inwardly. “They can stay here with me. We'll be a family, like when we were little.” Her eyes turned to look at me without moving her head. “I'm alone now, and I've really missed them.”
 
My stomach knotted. “Yeah, I know you have.” I blinked away the tears. “This is a great place you have here. So much room and it has such a wonderful view.” My voice threatened to fail me. “It'll be a great place for Al to grow up.”
 
A grin crossed her face. “Then you won't push the issue? Won't make them go back with you?” She wasn't trying to hurt me, didn't mean to be the one to crush my hopes. To her these brothers had always been family.
 
I shook my head. “No, I'm not going to try and make them go back.” I took in a deep breath. “The house is small, I don't really have the room.” To myself I added. I couldn't do that while Emery is still in that awful place. It would just be wrong
 
 
That night I packed the few clothes I'd brought with me. I didn't want to say goodbye, couldn't face tears in Al's eyes. I knew it would be more than I could take. I knew it would be better to just go without all the sorrow.
 
Winry stood in the doorway watching me. “Are you sure you don't want to tell them?” She sounded worried. “Alphonse would probably want to tell you bye. He… He cares about you. You've done so much for him and Edward.”
 
I zipped my bag up before meeting her gaze. “I can't. I couldn't bear it if he started to cry.” After a heavy sigh I continued. “I did help them, now I need them to do this for me. I need them to just go on, like I was never here.” A lump clogged my throat as I lifted my bag off the bed and moved past her.
 
She walked me to the front door. I knew she was worried about what would happen the next morning. “I'm not asking you to go. You know you could stay here Ona. Don't you?” Her eyes were cast down and her hands were clasped in front of her. She reminded me of a child apologizing for a broken toy.
 
“I know. But I can't stay. I have a home, theirs is here, with you.” I shook my head and turned to walk away but then looked back over my shoulder. “Take care of them for me. Maybe write me once in a while. Let me know how they are.”
 
With that I walked away, leaving behind my new family. Temporary family. I corrected myself. They were never really mine. They've always belonged here. Ed knew that, that's why he was worried. That's why he had me come… to make it easier on Al.
 
Looking up at the stars a tear ran down my face. My heavy jacket kept me warm but my heart already felt cold and alone. Watch over them, for me. I prayed silently.
 
 
Author's Note:
 
I don't dislike Winry. And I'm not sure she would react this way… but it fits my story.