Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Lunar Alchemist ❯ Concussion ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Authors Note: The beginning of this chapter is in third person and then it'll switch back to Elle's POV
 
Chapter Five
Concussion
 
Last time on the Lunar Alchemist:
 
“Put your hands behind your back!” A police officer shouted at Elle.
 
“Mom!” Elle called as the police officers handcuffed her.
 
“What are you doing?” Jake asked.
 
“We're putting Elric under arrest.” The officer replied.
 
“For what!?”
 
“Murdering her father.” The officer replied sadly.
 
Elle's POV and the true start of the chapter:
 
“Elle didn't murder her father. It was an accident. Besides there's no way to prove that he wasn't already dead from the collapse.” Jake said.
 
Mom came in the room and saw me in handcuffs just then and gasped and ran over to me.
 
“Elle what happened?” Mom asked.
 
“Elle, can't speak until the trial or a lawyer is present.” The officer replied.
 
“I have a right to.” I told them. “They think I killed Dad so I'm being arrested for murder.” I added.
 
“There's no way to know he wasn't already dead and you didn't know that he was there. You were told everyone was out of the rubble.” Mom added.
 
“I know that!” I said. “Where will I be held?” I asked.
 
“The local prison for a few hours. Then you'll be transferred to the second prison in Central. A prison made for rouge State and normal alchemists. You'd probably spend twenty-five years to life in there.” The officer added.
 
“Fine, let's go then. But I want Mom and Jake to come to central with me too.” I said.
 
“Mr. Jake is a witness. He'll be needed along with the two men inside the cave with you to come to central for the trial.” He told me and then turned to Mom and Jake. “Elle will be held at the town jail until the train is about to leave at four. Be at the station by four Jake or we'll get a court order to make you come.” The officer added.
 
“Can I at least hug and kiss her good bye?” Mom asked.
 
“Very well.” The officer said and mom approached me and did as she said before smiling at me.
 
“Don't worry El, you'll be okay.” Mom said.
 
“I know. Tell Alphonse what happened. Maybe he and Ed can talk to Colonel Mustang or something to help out.” I said. “There's no rule saying you can't.” I added.
 
“Alright dear. It's a good thing Al's still on the phone.”
 
“Let's go Elric.” The officer said dragging me away and shoved me into the back of his car and drove me to the jail and once they gave me the jail uniform threw me in a cell with a woman in her mid thirties and my hands were bound in front of me by wooden handcuffs and took my necklace away.
 
“Hey kid, you can't be more than ten years old, what the hell did you do?”
 
“I'm thirteen thank you.” I said.
 
“You're an alchemist aren't you?”
 
“Yeah I am.”
 
“Explains why you're still handcuffed. So, who'd you kill?”
 
“I didn't kill anyone!” I snapped.
 
“That's what they all say. Are you a state alchemist?”
 
“I don't know yet. I took the exam but didn't get an answer or response telling me if I was accepted or not.”
 
“Don't worry, you won't get called now. You're a hardened criminal now.” The woman replied. “You'll be in front of a firing squad by the end of the month.”
 
“Doubt it they can't do anything until they get an autopsy. They need evidence that I did it too. Testimonies won't be enough to convict me.”
 
“What are you? A member of the town rescue squad?”
 
“Yes I am actually.”
 
“Interesting. What's your name kid?”
 
“Elle Elizabeth Elric.”
 
“Marathel.” The woman said. “Robbed a place.”
 
“They think I killed my father.” I added and the cop came and opened the door.
 
“Come on Marathel, time for lunch.” The cop said. “Elric stay there.” The cop added.
 
I stayed in the cell as Marathel got off the ground and followed the police officer out. I walked over to one of the beds and laid down on it. Since it was almost two o'clock according to the clock across the hall I had more than likely an hour and a half until I would be guided to the train station where I'd be sent to central to await trail. I fell asleep on the concrete like bed and was awakened when an officer pulled me off the bed harshly and my head hit the ground hard.
 
I was automatically dizzy but the officer didn't care. I knew right then I might not make it to Central in one piece. I tried to regain my bearings but ultimately I couldn't.
 
“Hey give me a hand. She's half asleep.” The cop said to a near by guard.
 
The guard came and I was drenched in sweat and I suppose blood because all of a sudden I was gently laid on the ground and my vision was swimming as if I was losing a lot of blood.
 
“Did you make her hit her head?” The guard asked placing my head up on a pillow to try to comfort my head and elevate it at the same time.
 
“Yeah. I didn't mean too I pulled her off the bed. We have to get on a train to central by four o'clock.”
 
“She needs to go to the hospital. Unfortunately Xenotime doesn't have one.” The guard added.
 
“We'll take her to a hospital don't worry.” The officer said.
 
“Somehow I doubt that.” I thought. “I seriously don't think I'll get to Central in one piece.”
 
“Come on Elric stand up.” The cop added and he got me up on my feet and dragged me to a car that was parked at the bottom of the steps and put me in the back of the car.
 
Between the time it took us to get to the train station I threw up twice on myself because of Xenotime's bumpy roads and the dizziness I had. Once we got to the train station the cop dragged me to our train platform where my Mom, the two men from the caves, and Jake were waiting for us and when they saw me barely able to stand, blood running down my face, and vomit on my clothes they ran over to me.
 
“Elle, are you alright?” Jake asked.
 
“I think I have a concussion.” I moaned.
 
“Let me see your head.” Mom sand and she carefully moved my hair to find a huge gash on the side of my head. “Elle, you're head's split open. It looks like it needs stitches, what happened?”
 
“She wouldn't cooperate and hit her head on the floor of the cell.”
 
“No. You woke me up from a nap by dragging me off the bed and I hit my head off the floor because I can't fix my body since I had handcuffs on so I couldn't use my hands to take the blow.” I told them.
 
“My poor baby.” Mom said “We need to get her to the hospital to see if she needs stitches or not.”
 
“We can't. Elle must head to central.” The cop said and that sent my mom off the deep end.
 
“My child needs to go to a god damned hospital! If she doesn't she can die. Besides, she won't make it on the train. Do you see that she's covered in vomit and blood jackass? I'll have you sued for child abuse.” Mom shouted.
 
“Mary, calm down.” Jake said. “Give me my niece or I'm calling Roy Mustang the State Alchemist.”
 
“Do it! Go on!” The cop said.
 
“Jake walked over to the pay phone and called Roy I suppose he gave Jake good news because he smiled.
 
“The colonel said you're unfit to care for my niece. We're to take Elle to the nearest hospital which is in Colestone and the colonel will meet us there personally.” Jake said.
 
“Ed…and Al?” I asked.
 
“Want them there too?” Jake asked and I nodded.
 
Jake turned around again and asked Roy if Ed and Al could come with him. I was never in the hospital before or anything and even though I'd have Mom and Jake with me to help comfort me now that I've found them I didn't want to lose them. Also, to be completely honest, I was scared. Scared for the results of the trails, and scared for my life with the concussion. If I didn't get medical attention soon I know I could probably slip into a coma and never wake up to see my brothers, mother, or uncle again.
 
Meanwhile, Mom left me in the care of the two men momentarily to exchange their tickets for tickets to Colestone. Since right now you can only get to Colestone by train since there is construction on the main roads between Xenotime and Colestone. So obviously tickets to Colestone were lower than normal. Almost by seventy percent no less.
 
When Mom got back she boarded me onto the train once she got the tickets and laid me onto a bench and wrapped a blanket around me that she pulled out of a suitcase.
 
“Do you feel okay hon.?” Mom asked as Jake and the two men sat down.
 
“Kinda, I'm really nauseous and extremely dizzy.” I added as Jake took off his vest and rolled it up for me to use as a pillow. “Uncle, did the cop give you my necklace?”
 
“Yes, but you can't have it. You're still under arrest. Roy is trusting you not to use alchemy and trusting us to bring you to Colestone's hospital safely.” Jake said.
 
“Okay, I just wanted to make sure you had it. Are my brothers coming with Roy?”
 
“He said they were. They'll be on a train heading to Colestone in two hours at the most.” Jake said. “But why do you want Edward and Alphonse at the hospital with you. You have us.”
 
“Jake!” Mom said. “Leave the poor girl alone. She's probably scared.” Mom said.
 
“Elle, we're so sorry this is happening to you. We tried to stop it at the mines.” One of the men said.
 
“Is that you two are testifying on my behalf?” I asked.
 
“Well yes. It's our fault you're arrested. You might not make it as a state alchemist now with this on your record though.” The second man added. “I'm Nick by the way and that's Kenny.”
 
“I don't blame you guys. Rather be under arrest then have you two dead.” I added. “Other wise I wouldn't be on the rescue squad either.”
 
“You're a good kid Elle.” Kenny said. “Thank you for saving my life.”
 
“Mom, I want to sleep.” I said. “I'm way to dizzy.”
 
“You can't sleep.” Mom said.
 
“I hate not having a hospital in Xenotime. We have doctors but no hospitals.” Nick said.
 
“Why didn't you bring Elle to Dr. Marco? He's a good doctor.” Kenny asked. “After all, Colestone is almost an hour away even by train.”
 
“Xenotime is just to poor to have a hospital. We can't build it and even if we cold, where would we find doctors and nurses to work there other than the two normal doctors we have? Also, where would be buy medical supplies?” Mom asked.
 
“Couldn't we ask the state for funding?” Kenny asked.
 
“Let's not talk about this around Elle right now.” Jake said suddenly.
 
“No, keep talking. Otherwise I think I might fall asleep.” I said.
 
“Wait, can't she sleep as long as one of us is watching her? She needs rest and it might help her.” Kenny said.
 
“Normally you'd be right but her concussion might be extremely serious so she should stay awake until we get to the hospital.” Jake said.
 
“That's right.” Mom said and I closed my eyes since the train started moving. “Elle?” Mom asked worriedly.
 
“I'm awake, the train's moving and I don't want to look outside to get even more dizzy. And I also want to make it to Colestone without vomiting.” I added.
 
“Alright honey.” Mom said and the train conductor came by.
 
“Excuse me, is she okay?” He asked.
 
“She might have a concussion. We're heading to Colestone Hospital.”
 
“Would you like water for her?”
 
“Elle?”
 
“Um…sure I guess. I don't know what good it would do me though.” I said.
 
“Might help your throat. I'm sure it might be sore.” Jake said.
 
“I'll admit it dos hurt a little bit. Mom, do you have some spare clothes of mine with you?” I asked and the man left to get the water.
 
“Want to change your shirt?” Mom asked.
 
“Uh-huh.”
 
“Alright, come on.” Mom added grabbing a blue sports tanktop and led me to a bathroom and I got my shirt on and then we headed back towards our seat and Mom laid me back down and covered me back up with the blanket.
 
The rest of the train ride to Colestone went rather well. I mean, I still had motion sickness and was rather dizzy but unlike the car ride, I didn't throw up, and the train conductor did me bring me Ice water and it really did help my throat.
 
After we got off the train Jake demanded that I get on his back and he would carry me to the hospital which according to Nick was on the other side of the town.
 
Jake literally did carry me to the hospital too and when we got through the emergency room door, even though my head was bleeding, they made us sit in the waiting room for about an hour and a half until we were finally called into a bed and Jake carried me again towards the ER room in the far back and the doctor smiled at Mom.
 
“Okay, you split your head how Elle?” The doctor asked.
 
“I split it when an officer pulled me off the bed at the Jail house while I was asleep. The cell floor wad made of concrete.”
 
“You're really coherent. That's a good sign.” The doctor said. “What are your symptoms?”
 
“Um, I'm extremely dizzy, nauseous, and I also have a serious headache but it's not a migraine yet.”
 
“I think she has a concussion.” Mom added.
 
“Well, she will need stitches, then we'll see if she has a concussion and if so how bad and treat her for that. Is she still under arrest?”
 
“Yes, the military is sending someone today from Central by train. We have to stay here until she's well enough to travel by train.” Mom said.
 
“Alright. Well, first let's clean and sew up your head Elle.” The doctor said. “I'll warn you, it'll hurt.”
 
“My brother had two automail limbs attached and my father had one. We're a strong family.” I replied smartly.
 
“Ah, that's never a bad thing. What caused your brother to lose his limbs and get automail.” The doctor asked.
 
“From what he told me he was in an accident.”
 
“They were separated and just found out each other exist a week or so ago. They're coming with the police officer.” Mom said.
 
“I see, you or they decided to stay with your parents?”
 
“Um…I'm adopted. My father abandoned me with Mom and my brothers are orphans.”
 
“I'm sorry about that. I'm adopted too and was an orphan.” He added and pulled out a needle, medicine, and thread from a drawer.
 
It took about fifteen minutes to clean and stick my head up and let me just say I put Edward and Alphonse to shame. After all, they lost so much from attempting human transmutation and when Ed got the Automail attached, from what Al told me one day, barely made a sound and their Aunt (in a way, she's kinda like Jake) and her Granddaughter who were the engineers and surgeons said that Ed didn't even cry.
 
That day Ed officially became my role model. I mean, a thirteen-year-old boy supports his brother and doesn't break at all. He still holds his same personality even though he has a lot of self put guilt and dread on his shoulders.
 
Anyways, from there, they did multiple tests that would determine if I had a concussion and if it was severe or not and they gave me some medicine to relieve the symptoms I had and they also rigged me up to an IV for some reason.
 
After the test results came back the doctor came in the room with my medical chart and approached my bed.
 
“Hey Elle, is that medicine working?”
 
“Yeah, I'm not dizzy as much as I was in the car and on the train. I can actually see a little bit now.” I said.
 
“That's good.” The doctor said. “Now, Elle's condition.” He added and pulled out my test results. “Um, it seems Elle does have a serious concussion and the concussion gave her vertigo which explains the increased level of dizziness and nausea. She'll be dizzy anywhere from two weeks to a month or it could be longer. It depends when your body gets it's equilibrium back.”
 
“There's no way in Hell I'm sitting in a jail cell for a month to wait for a useless trial.” I shouted. “No…way…in…Hell.” I slowly pronounced.
 
“Calm down Elle. Roy won't let that happen if he can. You're injured after all.” Nick said.
 
“It won't matter Nick. I'm wanted for friggin murder!” I said and I suddenly got extremely dizzy. “Whoa, what's going on?” I asked.
 
“What's wrong?” Mom asked.
 
“I…I can't see. I'm even more dizzy then I was in the car on the way to the train station.” I added and then I had to throw up and when I did blood came out. “The Hell?”
 
“Elle!” Mom said and looked right at the doctor. “What's wrong with her?”
 
“It's possible with Vertigo. Her body got too stressed when she shouted.” The doctor said. “Why don't you rest Elle? She can sleep but someone must wake her every two hours. I will try to send a nurse round but we've been busy lately with traumas so it might be a little later or sooner.” The Doctor finished.
 
“We understand.” Mom, Nick, Kenny, and Jake said.
 
“If whoever the military sent left today they'll be here the day after tomorrow early in the morning.” He added.
 
“Thank you.” Mom said and the doctor left the room. “Go ahead and sleep honey. I'll wake you up in two hours.”
 
“Alright.” I said as I made myself as comfortable as I could with a hospital bed and I fell asleep.
 
The next couple of days went the same as the beginning hours did. Tests to check my condition, having my mom change and clean my stitches with a damp cloth with the doctor's permission, I was fed questionable food, and I was getting irritable so in short…I HATED MY FRIGGIN LUCK!
 
Eventually, while I was asleep, a furious amount of banging jolted me out of my sleep and I held my head because I had a headache again.
 
“Who the hell?” Jake asked.
 
“Fullmetal! What the Hell do you think you're doing? It's a hospital for god sake!” Roy shouted.
 
“The colonel.” I said. “Edward must be restless like me. Hopefully Ed used his flesh hand and not his automail one.”
 
“Alright…I'll get it.” Mom said and she opened the door to see Al covering Ed's mouth and Roy rubbing his forehead. “Um…Colonel Mustang?”
 
“Yes ma'am. These are Elle's brothers. The tall one's Alphonse and the short one's Edward.”
 
“WHO ARE YOU CALLING SO SMALL THEY COULD BE CONFUSED AS A NEW BORN CHILD WHO IS FOUR MONTHS PREMATURE!?” Ed shouted.
 
“That was creative Edward?” Jake said sweat dropping.
 
“Edward honey, Elle has a headache-” Mom started.
 
“More like migraine now.” I added.
 
“So you have to be quiet alright?” Mom finished.
 
“Okay Ma'am.” Ed and Al said.
 
“You guys can call her Mom if you want.” I said. “I know it might be hard to do that though.” I said.
 
“Okay.” Al said.
 
“I'm sorry but I can't do that.” Ed replied.
 
“I understand. Call me Mary then if you can't call me Mom.” Mom added.
 
“I'm very sorry about your loss.” Al said.
 
“It was a dangerous job. We already had a plan and knew it was bound to happen one day. Mike only continued to work at the mine because it would help support Elle if the State Alchemist thing didn't pan out. Pretty much our whole town works in the mine unless you own a farm, or restaurant, or work in the rescue squad like Elle and Jake, or you're a female.” Mom explained. “How many people die at the mines on average Jake?”
 
“Um…at least ten people a year. Mike was the seventh since five died along with Mike, and one died three months ago in an careless accident.”
 
“Careless?” Ed asked.
 
“Idiot left the key in the forklift and left it in neutral on a hill and it rolled backwards and on top of him.” I added. “I enjoyed that one.”
 
“Elle!” Mom said.
 
“Are you going to be alright Elle?” Roy asked.
 
“Huh? Oh yeah, I have a serious concussion and it gave me vertigo. Yesterday the doctor said I can leave by the end of the week, board a train by mid next week, and I can have vertigo for at least two weeks and possibly longer than a month. It depends on how it long my body takes to get my equilibrium back to normal.” I said. “Would I have to sit in a cell until the vertigo goes away Roy?”
 
“I talked to the Fuhrer. He said he'll allow you to be placed under house arrest until an autopsy comes in. if the tests say she might've been alive you'll be charged for manslaughter. If he's dead; you're free, and pure grain alive; alchemic murder under the harshest degree.” Roy said.
 
“I could go up against a firing range.”
 
“No, hung.”
 
“Hung?!” Ed, Al, and I said shocked.
 
“Yes. I used as much as my power I could to help you though Elle, I honestly view it as an accident myself but I'm not the one on the jury.”
 
“Elle?” Ed asked as he gently rubbed my back. “Are you alright?”
 
“I'm okay Ed.” I said.
 
“Are you sure?” Al asked.
 
“Yeah. I'm sure, after all, I'm pretty confident the autopsy will prove that my father was dead. He was in the rocks and with that many rocks on top of him I'm surprised the skelaton stayed together once I melted the rock. I didn't really get a good look at it though, I cried when I realized who it was and I only knew because of his arm.”
 
“Why was his arm deformed?”
 
“No, he had automail. The automail was melted.” I said. “Even if I'm tried though they can't really confict me I had no idea he was there.”
 
“You're on the rescue squad sis. I'm sorry to say this but the military won't have the same logic.” Al said.
 
“Al! She's going on trial and could be hung and you say that to her?!” Ed shouted.
 
“Brother! Voice level.” I moaned.
 
“Oh sorry.” Ed said.
 
“She should know the truth.” Al replied calmly and without changing his voice volume. “Let's talk outside Brother before you make Sis feel even worse.” He added getting up and tried to move without his armor clanking and Ed followed him out.
 
“That was shocking.” Roy said. “Those two rarely fought.”
 
“Ed's just worried about me is all.” I said.
 
“Oh, do you have Elle's transmutation circle necklace?” Roy asked. “I need to take it.”
 
“I have it.” Mom said. “She hasn't used alchemy since the transmutation in question.” She added handing Roy my necklace.
 
“That's good.” Roy added. “Did you all eat lunch?”
 
“No. It's Kenny's turn to go to the cafertiera and get us lunch.” Nick added.
 
“Alright I'm going.” Kenny moaned and got up. “The boys should get dinner to earn their keep.” He said.
 
“Hey, leave my brothers' alone.” I told Kenny with a glare.
 
“Yeah, yeah.” He said and left and we saw a flash of blue outside.
 
“What the hell was that?” Nick asked.
 
“Alchemy and a huge transmutation at that.” I said. “I hope Ed isn't taking protecting me to far. For Al's sake.” I added wobbily making my way towards the window where Ed was being drenched by a fresh made fountain.
 
“I think it's Al you need to worry about.” Roy said.
 
“I'm only related to their mother by blood.” I said as a nurse came in.
 
“Colonel Mustang sir? General Gran is on the phone.” She said. “You can take it from in here.”
 
“Thank you.” Roy said picking up the phone. “Yes General sir? …What? …When? … Who?…Again?…Her too!?…A chimera? Was he out of his mind?…I understand …. She'll be fine….At least a week from now but she has vertigo that'll last at least a month….Should I let them know?….I understand….Good bye.”
 
“Roy, is everything okay?” I asked.
 
“No, Nina and Tucker were murdered.”
 
“WHAT!?” I shouted. “No…no way.” I added.
 
“That's not all. Tucker turned Nina into a chimera before she was killed. She was half human half lab according to a test sheet in his lab.”
 
“He used Alexander to fuse with Nina.”
 
“I suppose so. A neighbor heard a scream and called us when she saw an alchemic light. Nina escaped and so did Tucker and both were killed. An alchemist imploded them. Tucker's brain and Nina's entire body.”
 
“Implode? Alchemy can't do that.” Nick said in disbelief.
 
“Sure it can.” I said. “By stopping at step two.”
 
“Alchemy has steps?” Mom asked.
 
“Yeah, three of them. Analization, deconstruction, and reconstruction. If you implode something you put it under huge amounts of pressure until it explodes. It doesn't take much to make humans implode either.”
 
“When you melted the rocks, was that step two or three?” Nick asked.
 
“It depends on how you look at it.” Roy said stepping in for me. “Some alchemists would think she stopped at stage two. Others, would say the lava or whatever was left over would be the complete transmuation right Elle?” Roy asked but I didn't answer. “El?”
 
“Huh?!”
 
“You tune out easily.”
 
“Sorry, I was thinking.”
 
“About Nina?” Mom asked. “Who was she?”
 
“She's the four year old daughter of the man Edward, Alphonse, and I stayed with during the exam. He was a state alchemist and Nina always called Ed and Al her big brothers. Ed was little big brother and Al was big brother because of their heights. I guess I considered her my sister too.” I said as slient tears ran down my face. “I hope Ed and Al will be alright.”
 
“Just don't tell them.” Nick said.
 
“Are you nuts? They considered Nina their little sister.” I said as Kenny came in with a drenched Edward and a scratched Alphonse behind him and I pointed at Ed and laughed. “Ed lost! Ed lost!”
 
“No I didn't!” Ed said.
 
“You so did. Your face says it all, and your clothes.”
 
“Did you boys repair the damage you made?” Roy asked.
 
“Yes sir.” They replied. “ Hey Elle, why were you crying?” Al asked.
 
“Um…Roy?” I asked.
 
“I got ya.” Roy said in complete understanding. “Boys, sit down.”
 
Ed and Al did so with a curious face and tone for Al for he gave a soft “Huh?” as he sat knelt on the floor and Ed sat down in a chair. (Indian Style doesn't work for Al) I was it worried about how'd they'd react when they were told about Nina and Tucker.
 
“What is it Colonel?” Al asked.
 
“Nina and Tucker were killed.” Roy said and their eyes widened in shock.
 
“No.” Al said sadly. “Not them.”
 
“Don't feel bad for Tucker though Al.” I said.
 
“Sis!” Al scolded.
 
“Tucker made Nina and Alexander into a chimera Al. An alchemist killed them.” I added.
 
“When?” Ed asked finally in a shaky voice.
 
“Yesterday. I just got a call while you were out. There's no way to contact us on the train.”
 
“Damn it!” Ed shouted.
 
“Maybe that's why you weren't feeling good yesterday on the train Brother.” Al said.
 
“I guess.” Ed said standing up. “Excuse me.” Ed added and left the room.
 
“I figured as much.” I thought. “Ed's personality is just like mine in a way. He's scared to lose people he gets close to. Al and I are the only exceptions because we're the only ones left unless our Dad's still alive. He probably won't call my Mom, Mom because he doesn't want to lose another Mother. I just hope this trial doesn't happen or I'm not convicted. If I am, Ed might just lose it.”