Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Lunar Alchemist ❯ The Trial ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7
The trial
 
The day of the trial finally came and honestly I was a little scared about the outcome despite the fact that I wouldn't be judged today.
 
When I got there I had my new dress on and since I was an alchemist I had to be handcuffed by Hawkeye still so I couldn't attempt to escape even though I'm not retarded.
 
I sat on a very uncomfortable chair while my mom sat behind me and she was telling me to be calm and respectful but I pretended not to hear her because I'm still not allowed to interact with my mom.
 
Roy, who sat next to me, relayed the same message again and I nodded while the Judge, Jury, the Bailiff, and what I suppose was the questioner came in and he brought a jug of ice water over to me and said if I wanted water to let Roy know and he would help me.
 
If I was on trial for something unalchemical I'd be unhandcuffed however since I was arrested for alchemical murder charges I needed to be handcuffed to assure the safety of the others in the room and I understand their methods just fine.
 
“All rise!” The judge called and we all stood up and the judge sat down in his chair. “You may be seated.” And we did. “Today we are here, due to illness, to try Miss Elle Elizabeth Elric on a count of either alchemical manslaughter or alchemical murder both in the second degree. Elle, please approach the bench if you can.”
 
“Yes sir.” I added
 
That day I also woke up with vertigo and Roy who had pretty much piggybacked me since I was so dizzy led me here. Ultimately Roy helped me up to the stand and helped me sit down gently so I didn't get dizzier and he went back to the table we were at before. While the questioner approached me.
 
“We will now start the questions.”
 
“Miss Elric. Is your real mother or father around?”
 
“I'm adopted sir. My real mother died about five years ago according to my brothers and my father left me in Xenotime after abandoning me and Mary adopted me.”
 
“Is Mary here today?”
 
“Yes sir.” I said and pointed to my mom.
 
“How are you ill?”
 
“I don't believe that's relevant to this sir.”
 
“Answer the question Miss Elric.” The judge said.
 
“Yes sir. When I was arrested in Xenotime, a cop mishandled me while I was half asleep. My head slammed on the concrete floor of the cell and I got a concussion and the vertigo came from that.”
 
“I hear you're a state alchemist. Is that true?”
 
“I don't know. I did take the test but I never received a pocket watch or a title.” I said. “However, as you know I can use alchemy.”
 
“Can you perform without a circle?”
 
“No sir, that's my older twin brother. I believe you'd know him as the Fullmetal Alchemist. He can perform alchemy due to an alchemical rebound when he was little. I have a necklace that's in my mother's possession. My alchemical talents depend on the moon cycle.”
 
“What cycle was it on that day.”
 
“Um…I believe tonight is the waning moon so it would be a little after the waxing moon.”
 
“Care to explain that day?”
 
“I had just arrived in Xenotime after taking the exam and I arrived home where my mother and my best friend Elisa was on the porch and I was talking to them until my Uncle Jake came and told me the mine collapsed where my father worked. We managed to create a hole big enough for me to get through where I met Nick and Kenny. They told me they managed to get out everyone who was trapped although they were all dead from the collapse. I used alchemy to melt the rock and to let them out of the cave and it was right after I found my dad's body. It took me a few minutes to realize who it was though because I was yelling at Kenny and Nick for lying to me.”
 
“How'd you know it was him?”
 
“My dad is the only person in all of Xenotime who has a automail arm.” I answered. “I'm dizzy, can Roy bring me some water.”
 
“He can, but you can return to your seat if you wish.” He said and Roy came and helped me back. “Ms. Mary, can you please give me Elle's necklace.”
 
“Yes sir.” Mom said as Roy brought me back and poured me a glass of water, which I drank through a straw. (Hey it worked)
 
Mom handed my necklace to the man and he examined it.
 
“Elle, are you religious?”
 
“No sir. I don't believe in any god at all.”
 
“Is this star from a religion?”
 
“Not that I'm aware of. I saw that whole entire transmutation circle in an alchemy book a few years after I got adopted. Once Mom and Dad saw that I was interested in alchemy, they gave me the necklace. All I know is that particular circle lets me use alchemy. It's just the circle would take so long to draw should I need alchemy in a pinch, real dad I guess I'll call him for now, made it into a necklace and it still works. All I'd have to do is clap my hands together and touch whatever I wanted to transmute and it would activate.”
 
“Can you use alchemy with a different circle? Perhaps one less complicated?”
 
“Honestly I'm unaware of it. I've never tried before. Like I said my real dad gave me that. I've just changed the chains over the years as my neck grew larger.” I said.
 
“Thank you. Please point out your witnesses.”
 
“My uncle Jake, Nick, and Kenny.” I added.
 
“Jake please approach the stand.”
 
Jake got up from his seat and walked over to the stand and sat down at the chair while the man approached him.
 
“How are you Elle's Uncle?”
 
“I'm a self proclaimed uncle. I am like a brother to Mary since we were raised together and Elle choose to call me her uncle since she was five or six years old.” Jake said
 
“Are you on the same squad as Elle?”
 
“There's only one squad and she's very useful.”
 
“How?”
 
“She's the only alchemist and her alchemy saves lives.”
 
“Did you see her transmutation?”
 
“Not from her side. But I did hear the conversation through the hole. Kenny and Nick were on her side though.”
 
“Did you ever see the body?”
 
“When I heard Elle crying I saw it then. After the transmutation occurred either Kenny or Nick, I forget which, realized that Mike, her father, tried to leave before the collapse and when I got wind of that information she was there crying.”
 
“Do you believe Elle stopped at the second step of Alchemy?”
 
“Elle's the only one who understands alchemy. While she, Roy, Ed and Al did explain the steps I still don't understand it.”
 
“So you couldn't give us your thoughts?”
 
“No.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
“Elle, who was next to you?”
 
“Both Kenny and Nick. They were the only survivors.”
 
“Um…how about the man named Kenny?”
 
Kenny got up out of his seat next to nick and he came up as Jake sat down next to my mom.
 
Just then the phone rang and the judge answered it as Kenny sat down and the questioner waited until the judge hung up and cued the man.
 
“Kenny, who told elle that everyone was out of the rubble.”
 
“Nick did before Elle crawled in. she put a shield up using alchemy just incase the wall was the only thing holding up the mine and then she melted the rock. When it was all said and done, Mike's body was found.” Kenny said.
 
“That was it?”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
“So you didn't see the transmutation?”
 
“No one did. Elle had everyone who could evacuate before she transmuted.”
 
“Was there a plan B?”
 
“Elle was the plan B. the rescue squad was going to use dynamite to blow away the rock. Mike would've died anyways.”
 
“How do you figure?”
 
“The rocks would've broken the hard hat he was wearing leaving his skull cracked. Dynamite would've killed Mike even if the rocks didn't. And if we pulled him out his injuries would've killed him. Xenotime's closest hospital is an hour by train and that's the only way to get there at this time.” Kenny said. “When Elle came to the station to be transferred to Central in her condition it was better to take her to Colestone hospital where Roy, Ed and Al came to watch her. Mike would've died by then surely.”
 
“Are you sure about that?”
 
“Yes. The pressure would've killed him instantly.”
 
“Nothing further.”
 
“Jury do we need more questions?” The judge asked.
 
“No sir.” The lead juror said.
 
“I have received word that the autopsy results will be here at three as well as Elle's conviction.” The judge said. “We will adjourn then and house arrest rules still stand.”
 
Everyone got up and Hawkeye let me out of the handcuffs and I rubbed my wrists and I was rather happy to be released until three.
 
Roy took me to a small café because he wanted me to eat something since I skipped breakfast due to the vertigo. Both Roy and my mother wanted me to eat.
 
I ate extremely slowly because I had a lot on my mind. I wasn't expected to be convicted today at all. I would be hearing the words of my fate in…less than two hours if I remembered what the clock said. At three we would know if I were to live, or to die, I would know if I saw Ed and Al again, and I would know if I would meet my mother for the first time in ten years.
 
“Relax Elle, it will be alright.”
 
“Easy for you to say. You're not the one who can die.” I sighed.
 
Finally three o'clock came and we all returned to the courtroom. I was rehandcuffed and I took my seat as the judge came in.
 
“All rise!” The bailiff called and the whole procedure was followed again and the lead juror rose.
 
“Elle Elizabeth Elric we have the results of the autopsy.” He said as he opened the envelope and read the paper. “Though it was only visible using a microscope, the subject's head was indeed cracked all the way around and his neck was also cracked beyond repair. As Kenny predicted death was instant. Therefore, you have the deepest apologies of the Xenotime police department.” The juror said. “Also the furher has sent his congratulations.”
 
Everyone applauded and I sighed as Mom hugged me and was crying in relief.
 
“Come on Mom. Not here.” I moaned.
 
“I'm just happy.” Mom said.
 
“I know.” I added.
 
“I'm sure Edward will be relaxed once he finds out.” Roy laughed.
 
“I feel bad for Alphonse, he's with him.”
 
“Well then congratulations, Lunar.” Roy added.