Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Lunar Alchemist ❯ Arriving in Lavic ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9
Arriving to Lavic
 
Lavic was a three-day train ride away from Central and Lavic was absolutely freezing cold. If I knew that it was so cold there I would've bought a super thick winter jacket but I managed to find a solution to that problem by adding down to my normal jacket with alchemy to make it a little more bearable but it didn't help that much.
 
Surprisingly the reason we were called all the way out here was because the military base here doesn't have state alchemists at all. This base just has normal soldiers so we were given this mission. However, I still don't know how the hell just two state alchemists can help avoid a freaking rebellion but I guess I'll find out soon.
 
“We have to meet General Schmitz.” Jyra said. “He'll give us the current rundown of the situation.”
 
“There should've been a rundown in the documents Roy gave us.”
 
“There was.” Jyra added pulling out the mission guidelines and handed them to me and I read it.
 
Lunar and Rainbow Alchemists,
You are to head to the headquarters in Lavic and see General Schmitz. He will let you know the current situation and will be your superior officer for the time you are on this mission for it is unknown for how long you will remain in Lavic for. Please be careful girls.
Roy Mustang
Flame Alchemist.
 
“Damn bastard. He couldn't give us a little more info then he did in our meeting?” I thought. “Damn him.”
 
“Apparently they didn't give Roy anymore information he shared with us. So we can't blame him. Trust me I like to know what I'm getting into too.”
 
“So you can run? No offense?”
 
“No, if it's extremely dangerous I want to g and talk to my mother.”
 
“Does she live in Central?”
 
“No. In Heaven I hope.”
 
“Oh. My birth died too. A long time ago and my father abandoned us. So my brothers and I are orphans…although I'll admit my current Mother adopted me. My step Dad died in a mine collapse about three months ago.” I said trying to make her feel better.
 
“But that's just it. You have your mom and Brothers. I'm all alone in the world.”
 
“Not really. We're partners in crime now so you're not alone. That and Roy, Hughes, and Riza act like Aunts and Uncles. You can always talk to them or me. And Al is just as friendly as me so he'll help you if he can too I'm sure. I'm not sure Ed can. He seems a little immature sometimes but he's smart too. They've seen a lot.”
 
“Thanks Elle.” Jyra added as the military headquarters came into view. “There it is.”
 
“Did he at least tell us how to find General Schmitz's office?”
 
“Um…”
 
“God damn it.” I sighed and we went into the base and we held out our pocket watches.
 
“Titles?” A woman asked.
 
“Major Jyra Rotelo. The Rainbow Alchemist.” Jyra said.
 
“Major Elle Elric. The Lunar Alchemist.”
 
“We're here to see General Schmitz.”
 
“Oh yes. We have been expecting you two. However General Schmitz is out for meetings today. We thought you would be here sometime tomorrow.”
 
“We're sorry. We didn't have to stop at the border since we were State Alchemists on a mission in your territory.”
 
“Hold up, we're in Drachma? I thought this was still Amtress. At least that's what Gracia told me the other night.” I thought
 
By the time I finished my thought of shock, Jyra had two sets of keys and threw me a pair, which I barely caught.
 
“Alright when'd you get these?” I asked.
 
“When you were lost in your mind.” Jyra smirked
 
“Brat.” I said playfully. “So, these are the dorm keys?”
 
“Yeah. Come on, this place shouldn't be hard to navigate in. the bases are all designed the same way.”
 
“I'm confused. If we're not in Amtress anymore how the hell is there a military base here in Drachma?”
 
“Did you go to school at all?” Jyra asked.
 
“Only until eighth grade.” I admitted. “Then I dropped out and joined the military once I got over a concussion and my murder trial which was rather stupid but that was out of my power.” I said. (Let's pretend that in these times you can drop out whenever the bloody heck you want or you didn't have to go to school if your parents didn't send you.)
 
“Then you wouldn't know this yet. Drachma is under an alliance with Amtress. Part of the deal was that we'd put multiple military bases in their territory and we'd help protect them fro their enemy. Thus the reason we didn't need to show ID at the border, we're state alchemists and were expected. We came to try to resolve the fighting on Amtress' account in order to try and avoid a war.”
 
“Roy lied to us then. He said civil war.”
 
“Believe it or not it would be a civil war but since we didn't completely take Drachma over it's just a plain out war. You're only thirteen; Roy wanted to attempt to beat around the bush. I'm seventeen so I understand more than you. No offense intended. I won't lie to you though about the facts.” Jyra said. “We're the ones who have to deal with this stuff. We should know the truth.”
 
“I suppose so.” I said. “How is this “training wheel” stuff? Ed got an easier mission than this.”
 
“Good question, but we don't have to worry about anything. A war is highly unlikely.”
 
“Oh I feel so safe and calm.” I said sarcastically. “We'll have to see what General Schmitz says tomorrow.”
 
“Yep. I'll see you in the morning.” Jyra said as she traveled further down the hall and went around the corner.
 
“Now what can I do? I didn't bring anything to do with me. All I can think to do is go to sleep but then I'll never sleep come night time.” I thought as I walked into the dorm and I opened my suitcase to see a book in there called Twilight (Yes the one by Stephanie Meyer and I don't own it obviously and I love the series go read it if you haven't read it yet it's better than the movie.) I opened the cover to see a note fall onto the ground and I picked it up.
 
Dear Elle,
Ed and I saw this book and got it for you for a late birthday present.
Was written in Al's handwriting
And don't you dare try to repay the favor and get me a present either!!!
Was written in Ed's chicken scratch handwriting.
Love Ed and Al
 
I crumpled up the message and threw it in the trash with a smirk on my face.
 
“Oops I never got that message.” I said, “Well I found something to do then.” I added as I laid down on the bed and curled up and finally I opened the book which had a second note written in Ed's handwriting.
 
Enjoy this Sis. You didn't look like the type to enjoy alchemy books like Al and I did but we since you mentioned being a fantasy author we though this might help your stories eventually in the time. So we got a fantasy book for you. I hope you love it, even though I don't believe in this stuff it seemed interesting to me.
Love Edward and Alphonse
 
“Damn their repetitiveness.” I growled as I flipped the book over to read the summery and Ed was right. It seemed interesting although it sounded cheesy at the same time however I rarely judge a book by it's summery or cover so I started to read it.
 
I was half way through the book when I barely heard a knock on the door and when the sound got louder I knew it was someone at the door instead of my imagination playing tricks on me since I was so absorbed into the book. I ripped a piece of paper and stuck in the book and I walked to the door and opened it to see Jyra.
 
“Hey, you're going to miss dinner.” Jyra said.
 
“Huh?” I said and I looked at the clock and I saw it was seven. “What the heck? How'd it get so late? I thought it was earlier than that?”
 
“What were you doing?”
 
“I was reading a book. My brothers gave it to me as a birthday present.”
 
“Alchemy related I'd guess?”
 
“No, I don't understand alchemy like that. It comes to me naturally or common sense.”
 
“What about serious alchemy?”
 
“All common sense?”
 
“Can you turn grass into bread?”
 
“Sure why not. Grass is the same exact thing as grain pretty much just in a different pattern. You'd transmute the grass into grain then you could make bread easily. It's good for alchemists to know just incase they run out of food for some reason. As long as there's grass we'd never go hungry.”
 
“Not bad at all Elric. Not bad at all. So what they say is true. Your family didn't learn alchemy from anything?”
 
“No that just applies to me. My brothers had a teacher and they love to read alchemy books.” I said as we headed to dinner.
 
“How'd you find out you could use alchemy then?”
 
“Well, one day I saw my birth father reading a book when I was four. I could read but I saw the transmutation circle and I would copy anything I could and so I drew the circle in the dirt since we were at the park camping out one night. I saw Hohenhime touch the transmutation circle with his hands one day so I did the same thing and I made a crappie stone flower. The next time I used alchemy I was ten and later on I joined Xenotime's rescue squad.”
 
“Not bad at all. So, rescue squad huh? Because of your alchemy?”
 
“Yeah. I used alchemy to save our town during a huge storm. That and I'm the only one in Xenotime who can actually use alchemy.”
 
“Not bad. So, what do you think about Drachma?”
 
“I've only been here for a few hours and I've only been inside this base so I can't judge except for the fact that it's freezing out there.”
 
“True. Hey what do you think Schmitz looks like?”
 
“I don't know. Hopefully he's the opposite of Major Armstrong. He always tries to squeeze me and Edward to death.”
 
“Why not Alphonse?”
 
“He's to pointy. He doesn't come out of his armor. Puberty issues.”
 
“Isn't Edward still going through puberty?”
 
“How should I know? I'm not Edward and I'm not asking those kind of questions but I don't think so. I believe Al and I are ahead of the game.
 
“Oh that has to suck.”
 
“You have no idea. Al's self confident anyways.” I said. “Sorry Alphonse forgive me on that. I'm trying to keep your secret a secret.” I thought.
 
After dinner Jyra remained in the mess hall to talk to the other soldiers while I went back to my dorm and read a little more of the book before I headed to bed.
 
The next morning around nine o'clock Jyra came to get me so that we could head to Schmitz's office where a man (who thankfully looked normal) sat at his desk and looked over some papers.
 
“Excuse General Schmitz sir.” Jyra said.
 
“Hello there. You two must be Major Rotelo and Major Elric right?”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
“So the Rainbow and Lunar Alchemists. Not to be but I thought they would've sent the Fullmetal Alchemist and his armored companion.”
 
“My older brother is on a different mission. The armor companion you spoke of is my younger brother and he's not a state alchemist.” I said.
 
“Wait a minute. How do you know that?”
 
“Major Elric is my older twin brother. Everyone in Central calls us Either Ed or Elle or use our state titles to tell us apart. Using Major Elric confuses us because we're both majors.”
 
“Ah. Well let's talk about why you are here. Please have a seat.”
 
Jyra and I approached the desk and then sat down in the wooden chairs.
 
“Roy said that we're to help stop a war from breaking out.” I added.
 
“Yes, slowly Amtress is taking Drachma's government more seriously. They believe our rules and laws aren't fair.” General Schmitz said. “I agree with Amtress though.”
 
“Aren't you from Drachma?” Jyra asked.
 
“No I'm from Amtress. However, since I live here in Drachmas I have to abide by Drachma laws and Amtress military laws. The same goes for everyone else here. Including you two while you are here.”
 
“So what are these laws?”
 
“You two just have to worry about three laws or rules. Always wear your uniforms starting tomorrow unless you want to go outside today. Always keep your pocket watches with you and never talk without respect or you might get hurt. I'll handle the rest alright girls?”
 
“Yes sir.” We said.
 
“Um…General, I never got a uniform. I just got a pocket watch.” I said.
 
“Follow me then Major Elric.” General Schmitz said. “Major Rotelo please go back to your dorm okay.”
 
“Yes sir.” Jyra said and she left and I started to get nervous.
 
Unless I was with Uncle Jake, Roy, Dad, Ed, or Al, I was uncomfortable being alone in a room with a man. I was never raped (knocking on wood now) or I'm unaware of being rapped but a lot of people in Xenotime had been raped before moving there so I was kinda scared because people would tell me their stories so I'd know what do.
 
“Is something wrong Major Elric?” Schmitz asked.
 
“Um…no sir.”
 
“Then let's get going.” He added and he left the room.
 
“Alright then.” I added and then we headed to a room that had the words Uniform Department on a sign above the door and I saw a girl sitting at a desk.
 
“Hello General Schmitz.” The girl said.
 
“Hello Elizabeth. Can you please get Major Elric a uniform please by tomorrow.” General Schmitz asked and the woman or Elizabeth laughed. “What's wrong?”
 
“You're kidding right? How old is she? Twelve? There's no way in hell that she is a soldier.”
 
“I'm not a soldier ma'am.” I said pulling out my pocket watch. “I'm a state alchemist.”
 
“What the hell is Central…better yet Bradley thinking?” Elizabeth said. “So you never got a uniform in Central?”
 
“No ma'am. Colonel Mustang didn't want to take my freedom away even though I don't mind uniforms that much.”
 
“Do you even wear adult clothes?”
 
“Um…extra small.” I said unsurely and I quickly checked the tag of my shirt. (I just took my arms out of the sleeve and turned the shirt around.) “Yeah extra small.”
 
“I'm not sure. Let's see Elric. If not you'll have to wear small alright?”
 
“Yes ma'am.” I said.
 
Now I wasn't expecting for Elizabeth to actually find an extra small outfit and because of this I didn't have to wear a small uniform which could've slowed me down or put me at an disadvantage since I don't know how to hem clothes. I never thought I would need to use that skill so I never learned it.
 
So after I got a full uniform I headed to the dorms where I read some more and I eventually finished the book. (I literally read twilight that fast too. Within two days.)
 
“Damn it. To bad that was so friggin awesome. I wonder if there's a bookstore around here. I got fifty dollars from Mom so I can go get the second and third books since I saw on the back of the one I had that the second was already out and I saw the third book on Elizabeth's desk.
 
Since I had General Schmitz warning I put on my newly acquired uniform and put my hair in a bun like Roy's assistant Hawkeye had to make myself look professional.
 
My uniform looked different from Hawkeye through. Hawkeye had to wear a skirt that came up to her knees and the material for their uniforms were thinner than mine was and I also got to wear pants. However the uniform was exactly minus some badges because I was a lower rank that Hawkeye was.
 
I headed to Jyra's room and I knocked on her door and she answered.
 
“Hey Elle. Looking sharp.”
 
“Thanks Jyra.”
 
“What's up?”
 
“I'm going to try and find a book store in town to get Ed a birthday present since he snuck one into my suitcase. Want to come?”
 
“Sure I can use a good book to read and it's pretty boring around here.” Jyra said. “It will also give us a good view of the area. You should get a jacket though.”
 
“That's legal?”
 
“Sure, we're humans after all.”
 
“But this is Drachma not Amtress.”
 
“Elle, a piece of soldier advice. Calm down or you can screw up and we can't screw up here.”
 
“Good point. Otherwise it could mean war.”
 
“Exactly. Amtress can't handle another war. We're still recovering from the war with Ishbal.”
 
“But that was years ago.”
 
“There are still groups who still pose a major threat. We're to young to handle them so they send people in like Armstrong to handle them.”
 
“I suppose that makes sense.” I said.
 
“Let me get my uniform on and you go get your coat and then we'll head out okay?”
 
“Alright.” I said and I headed to my room to find my coat. When I entered I heard a ringing noise. “A phone?” I asked and I saw the phone on the desk in the corner of the room. “Hello?” I asked.
 
“Elle?” Roy asked.
 
“Oh Hi Roy. What's up?”
 
“I just wanted to know if you and Jyra made it Lavic alright.”
 
“Yeah it was no problem getting here. Although I think General Schmitz insulted me though. He thought you were going to send Ed and Al instead of Jyra and me because we're both Majors.
 
“Edward's over in Liore right now. He left the same day you did.”
 
“Alphonse too?”
 
“Of course. Al refuses to stay behind though Ed tried to make him stay.”
 
“Well Jyra and I are going to scope out the area and I'm going to find Ed a birthday present since he snuck one into my suitcase.”
 
“Going to repay the favor?”
 
“Yep. When I see him again that is. When that is I don't know.”
 
“Don't worry about that. What are you going to get him?”
 
“An Alchemy book of some sort. I know it'll be hard to find one good though because of how fast Ed reads and he'll probably already have read the book by the time I get it to him but it's a shot. It's the thought that counts.”
 
“I'll let you go then.”
 
“If you talk to Ed and Al can you tell them that I say hi for me?”
 
“Of course.” Roy said and he hung up the phone.
 
“That was rude.” I said and I hung up the phone too. “I should probably go and catch up with Jyra now.” I added and I left the room.
 
 
I am finally back. Sorry about being gone so long but I was reading the twilight series. And believe it or not I found it really good since I hate reading romance novels but it worked. I just finished reading the fourth book last week and I started reading the series the week of November 21st because I wanted to finish it before I went to watch the movie with my friends after I remembered that it was based off a book because I remembered Bella Swan's name from the commercial they played in my town. We even had a premiere party in my school for the movie it was awesome and we played jeopardy and my team was the Cullen's and we played against the La Push gang and we kicked their butts because the La Push team didn't know a thing about their land! Anyways I wrote this as fast as I could but I'm going to be taking another league of absence because of the holidays and I also have to do three term papers in the next month. Also I'm writing a Harry potter/ digimon story and I need to read the sixth and seventh book for the story so I'm going to be doing that too while I'm writing. I'm also updating Full Fire Alchemist with a Christmas chapter before I disappear again for a while I think. I'm going to do it within four days. Because I'm pagan but I'm the only one in my family I celebrate Christmas for my family and my nieces and nephews and our Christmas is four days long. A day for my adopted family, a day for my birth parents and half brothers if they show up, a pagan styled holiday where I listen to pagan music pretty much all day long and have a semi Christmas like thing with my pagan friends, and then my nieces and nephews who don't live with their fathers come and we have Christmas again with them. Which is also on new years day. I will still be reading your stories but I won't review them when I do and when I get the time to review them I'll do it the following chapter but if your on my favorite authors, or story alerts or something like that I will still be reading your works and I promise to review when I get the chance again.
 
Thanks for the support and happy Holidays
Kayland Elric; Luna Eclipse