Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Uncle Roy ❯ Promises Fulfilled on a bitter sweet day ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own FMA
 
 
 
Sunlight streamed through the green leaves the tree branches proudly sported and speckled Roy Mustang's skin lightly. Birds chirped happily above him and despite himself, he smiled, even as his coal black eyes scanned the cemetery before him. A hand, ungloved like his own and warm with life and covered by soft flesh, embraced his and squeezed hello. Roy turned his gaze down to the smiling eyes of Edward Elric and curled his fingers more firmly around Ed's. Both were in normal clothes for this one-day as they had been given a short leave of absence, Mustang for recovery from his failed attempt, and Edward for demanding it for some unknown reason that Roy still couldn't gauge.
“Al's going to be here soon with Gracia, Elisia, and Lieutenant Hawkeye,” Ed said softly, not wishing to break the peaceful mood they had settled around themselves like a security blanket. Roy merely nodded and pulled the boy into a tight embrace, which the older Elric promptly returned.
“You're hiding something from me, Ed,” Roy said just as softly. Ed chuckled and nodded against his chest.
“Yes, sir, but you'll just have to wait to find out because it's not for you,” Roy pulled back and looked at the shorter male questioningly.
“It's for Gracia and Elisia,” he said. Roy opened his mouth to say something but was silenced as Ed's soft luxurious lips met with his. The oldest of the pair sighed in contentment as they slowly pulled apart and the sound of clanking footsteps coming up the hill reached them. The two pulled apart reluctantly put kept hold of each other's hand. Sunlight reflected off the younger Elric's metallic body as he led Hawkeye, Gracia, and Elisia, who was trying very hard not to cry and being carried by her mother, towards them.
“It's about time you guys got here!” Edward yelled.
“We had to stop by a flower shop first,” Hawkeye said, producing a rather large bouquet of assorted flowers from behind her back. Ed simply nodded and looked up to Roy.
“Lead the way, Mustang,” Ed said, a slight smile on his face. Roy nodded and began to lead their small group towards their dear friend's grave. A slight wind blew and ran calming fingers through Roy Mustang and Edward Elric's hair as painful last memories began to resurface. Ed fought them back valiantly, having already sworn to himself that he wouldn't cry in public for he knew that it would only make this day bitter instead of bitter sweet like he intended. A bird looked up at them from Hughes's grave before flying off to join others of his kind in the trees or upon other graves. Elisia sniffled and hid her face in her mother's neck, not able to look upon the only thing, other then the belongings left behind and her memories, that still stood as a reference that her father had ever been alive. They stood silently for a moment before Hawkeye knelt and set the flowers down in front of the head stone. Ed knelt on the other side of her, letting go of Roy's hand as he stared solemnly at his overly annoying, daughter obsessed, slightly eccentric, ever helpful and reliable friend who know lay below them in a polished wooden coffin.
There were a million things that he wanted say but suddenly they all vanished as he felt a slight heaviness land on his shoulder. He turned and stared wide eyed at the faint image of Maes Hughes before he faded and he turned back to the head stone. Hawkeye had placed her hand on the grave marker, obviously fighting tears and loosing as a single tear slid down her cheek. Ed scrubbed at his eyes as he felt them tear up and knelt there in silence, expressing everything that he could just by staring and not saying anything, not aloud anyway. The hairs on the back of Ed's neck prickled slightly and his back tingled and that was the only warning he had before Roy Mustang spoke, staring at the grave marker and not able to look at the widow and her daughter.
“I'm sorry, Elisia,” he said softly. Hawkeye turned to him and he heard Al move to look at the colonel but Edward Elric didn't have to turn his gaze away to know that Roy was clenching his fists and fighting back the guilt that was gnawing away at his heart.
“I broke my promise to you. I couldn't bring your father back to you,” he said brokenly, sorrow filling his voice and making a painful lump clog his throat and prevent him from saying anything more.
“Roy,” Gracia started before Ed stood and placed his hands in his coat pockets.
“Now you know that's not true, Roy,” Ed said. Roy looked at him sharply.
“What?” he asked and Ed merely smiled before looking at Al. If Al could smile he would have as he pulled something from his armor that was carefully hidden from prying eyes by Ed's body.
“What are you doing, Edward?” Hawkeye questioned and stood, trying to see around the older Elric to see what was being passed between the two brothers. Ed, who carefully had his coat wrapped around his form, walked over to Gracia and Elisia, the little girl know standing beside her mother, looking like she was going to cry, curious, and angry all at the same time. Ed knelt before her and smiled.
“You have to close your eyes before I give you your present,” Elisia scowled cutely but obeyed, one hand clinging to her mother skirt and the other out with her tiny little palm open, waiting expectantly for something. Ed pulled the gift from his coat and there was a gasp before it was placed with the little girl. Frustratingly Ed's body was still hiding what it was and as Elisia's eyes opened, they brightened and grew wide in wonder.
“DADDY!!!!!!” she shrieked happily and clutched the doll to her chest. Hawkeye and Roy stared in wonder as the little girl clutched a fair sized plush doll of Maes Hughes in full dress uniform, smiling for the entire world to see, to her chest and shrieking to her mother. Gracia knelt, a bit weak kneed, and stared at the doll her daughter thrust at her and then clutched to her chest.
“And hey,” Ed started, gaining the girl's attention. “If you pull this string in the back here he does something really cool,” Ed reached out and pulled the white string with the white plastic ring in Hughes's back and watched with amusement as the doll winked and quickly held up a picture of his daughter Elisia in his hand.
“Isn't my daughter just the cutest thing you've ever seen in your entire life?” the doll proclaimed, blowing kisses at the awe struck daughter that held it. Elisia shrieked again and hugged the doll her chest.
“Thank Roy for that,” Ed said softly. Elisia promptly turned and barreled into Roy's legs nearly knocking him over.
“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” Elisia shouted happily. “Thank you so much for bringing Daddy back! Now Mommy and me won't be sad anymore `cause he wasn't around! Now he is! Thank you, Uncle Roy!” Roy nodded and hugged the girl when she demanded it, still in awe that the transmutation had created that doll and he had still managed to keep his promise. Gracia wiped tears from her eyes as Elisia pulled the string again and heard Hughes's voice singing her favorite lullaby, all the while blowing kisses at her. Ed smiled watching them and gripped Roy's hand tightly, turning to smile at the man. Roy smiled back teary eyed and wiped the tears away with the palm of his uncaptured hand. He could feel Roy behind him and looked, seeing the faint image of his friend smiling and nodding to him before walking over to his wife and daughter to watch them in their joy and coo at his daughter whenever possible. Ed kissed his cheek lightly and squeezed his hand again. Roy felt a warmth run through him at the sight of his friend, the feel of his little lover's hand in his and the knowledge that he had made both Gracia and Elisia smile again.
 
 
“Thank you, Uncle Roy! Thank you!” and slowly, with those words, the guilt he had held bottled up in his heart for so long for not getting there fast enough to help his friend and prevent his death slowly began to disappear.
“Thank you, Uncle Roy!”
 
 
 
In memory of Maes Hughes,
May you always smile upon them and keep them safe through the end of the series and beyond.
 
 
Ende.
 
 
Thank you for reading.