Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Whisper in the Wind ❯ Whisper in the Wind; Waiting for Your Return ( Epilogue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~~~ one month later ~~~





"Hurry up, Ed, you'll miss your train!" Pinako shouted upstairs to Edward, who was packing his trunk.

"Gimme time! Geez!"

Kate was waiting patiently at the kitchen table. When Edward walked downstairs, they finally left for the Central Train Station.

When they all arrived at the station, Edward and Alphonse's train hadn't arrived yet, which gave Edward time to spend with Kate. Kate had tears rolling down her face as Edward was talking soothingly to her saying he'll be alright.

A couple minutes later, Edward, Kate, Winry, Alphonse, and Pinako heard a faint, distant whistle of a train approaching the station. Edward slowly picked up his trunk and wrapped his arms around a crying Kate. "I have to leave now, okay?"

Kate nodded her head slightly as she embraced Edward back.

"I'm gonna miss you..."

"I'll miss you, too..." Kate looked up at Edward, who had a sad expression. "Promise you'll come back to me?"

Edward smiled. "Promise..." The train whistle blew again.

"Come on, brother. The train's here." said Alphonse picking up his trunk. "You coming?"

"One minute..." Edward reached into his pocket. "I want you to hold on to this, Kate." He pulled out his silver pocket watch, and handed it to Kate.

Kate froze. "But this is your..."

Edward smiled. "Keep it for me, please."

Kate nodded and smiled. "You can count on me."

Edward kissed Kate softly. "I love you..." He embraced Kate tightly. "Remember that..."

"I will... forever."

"Brother, let's go."

"Coming." Edward picked up his trunk and left for the train. When he sat in the seat, he put his head out the window. He waved at Kate as the train moved. "Bye Kate! I'll miss you! I love you!"

Kate wiped a tear from her eye and waved back. She stood on the tracks and watched as the train and the smoke dissappeared into the late sunset. She gripped Edward's pocket watch and stood watching... until the train's whistle was only a whisper in the wind...