Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Who Says Blood is Thicker Than Water? ❯ Narrow Escape ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2
 
Narrow Escape
 
As the brothers got off of the train, they were suddenly ambushed. “Ed! Al! What are you doing here?” Squealed Winry as she pounced on the two boys.
 
“Ahhhhh! Winry!” Ed turned and hissed. “This isn't a pleasure trip, it's military business.”
 
“Oh . . . sorry . . .” Winry hung her head sadly as she left.
 
“Winry, wait!” Ed called out, but Winry just continued on her way. “Great, just great!”
 
“You weren't exactly very nice to her. She was just happy to see us.” Al pointed out.
 
“I know . . . I'm just a little on-edge right now.” Ed straightened as he saw a commotion near one of the exits.
 
A figure, cloaked with what seemed to be a rough brown blanket could be seen fleeing from a tall man with a pale, x-shaped scar on his face. In the rush, the man's right shirt sleeve blew upwards, revealing a series of black tattoos.
 
“Brother, it's him!” Alphonse exclaimed. Confused when he didn't receive a reply, Al turned to see his brother pushing through the crowd towards the door. Sighing heavily, he started to work his way out, hoping his brother would get to the girl in time.
 
Gasping for breath, the cloaked figure turned quickly into a back alley. Her blanket snagged on a rough wall as she ran, but the girl didn't attempt to recover it. Damn! I should have been more careful! I should've returned to Central when I had the chance, but now I'm going to die like a mouse that got killed by a cat . . . no one will know what happened to me.
 
“Stop!” The voice from behind spurred her on. “Ishballa will make you suffer for what atrocities you have committed as a state alchemist!” The voice roared after her as she left the alley and approached the river.
 
Without a second thought, the girl dove into the swift-moving water. Body already deprived of oxygen; she pushed off of the river bed and up to the surface, gulping in precious air. Having made this narrow escape several times now, the girl counted the seconds until her salvation, an old rope swing hanging from a oak tree, brushed her hands. Then, pulling herself from the water, she made her way into the woods.
 
Cursing, Ed sprinted out of the dark alleys and into the sun by the river. Carefully observing the ground, he could tell that the figure that Scar had been chasing had jumped into the river, while he returned to the town. That must've been the Liquid Alchemist, but why was she in the station? Could she have possibly been expecting help to come and find her?
 
As he was about to walk away, a bright silver glint caught Ed's eye from in the sand along the river. Picking it up, he realized that it was a pocket watch, just like his. On the back was a tear drop shape with Good job, Leaha. From your Uncle Roy engraved inside of the shape.
 
“Brother, what happened?” Al asked as he approached his older sibling.
 
“Her name is Leaha.” Ed announced quietly as he stood up. “If I'm right, she's Mustang's niece.”
 
“Yah, I've seen `er. She's a real cutie.” The bartender smiled. “Prettiest black hair I've ever seen. I think she's too tall for you though.”
 
What the hell's that `sposed to mean?!” Ed snarled as Al held him back from the old man's throat. “I'm only askin' `cuz it's State business!”
 
“Sure ya are. Well, the only thing I know about where she's living is that it's south of town, near or across the river.”
 
Still pissed off, Ed grumbled his thanks and left with Al close behind. “Grrr . . . how can Leaha be so hard to find? Everyone sees and remembers her, but no one knows where she goes.” Ed fumed as he sat down on the street curb.
 
“She must stay in or near the forest. After all, the cloak we found was transmuted from tree bark.” Al offered helpfully.
 
“I know, but who knows how huge that forest is?! Even if all of Central Head Quarters was searching in those woods, it would take forever to cover all of that ground! Maybe our best bet would bet to put up `lost' posters for Leaha's watch.” Ed sighed. “She might come for it, but chances are, Scar would too.”
 
“Do we really have another choice?” Al questioned, doing a great job of sounding utterly pathetic.
 
“Honestly, Al, I don't know.”