Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Wishing for the Sunset ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: This is an older story, so the writing may be a bit weak. I started it in May of last year. Sorry!
Disclaimer: I do not own FMA.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
 
The sky overhead was a brilliant orange, the scattered clouds tinged with a light pink. A slight breeze chased the benevolent cotton wisps across the fiery sky. The evening was calm and peaceful. In the cool grass two alchemists lay on their backs, side by side, hands clasped, staring up at the sunset.
“It's beautiful, ne?” the smaller of the two said softly.
His raven-haired companion nodded and sat up. He smiled as he watched the breeze ruffle the boy's long, blonde hair, the fire of sunset reflected in his brilliant golden eyes. Still smiling, the taller man leaned down to kiss the blonde boy next to him. Breaking the kiss, he let himself fall back onto the grass, pulling the boy close so that his head rested on his chest, his arms locked around the boy's waist. It was the most beautiful sunset they had ever seen and they were at peace in each other's arms.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
 
“Edward!” Mustang roared over the sound of the explosion.
Ed felt himself lifted off his feet and thrown violently against the wall behind him by the force of the blast. Blood dripped from the fingers of his right hand as he placed his left over the gaping wound where the shattered bone stuck through. Beside him Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye had not fared so well. She was eerily still, her head falling forward onto her chest like a rag doll. There was blood trickling down her chin from one corner of her mouth as her half-closed yellow eyes clouded over. Grimly Ed realized that she was dead. So it was with most of his and Mustang's squad. The bodies of their fallen comrades were strewn unceremoniously across the battlefield, a chilling testament to the horrors of war.
This was the first time Ed had been into battle and he had been frightened at first. But the fear had only lasted for a moment before his fighting instincts kicked in and he launched himself into the attack with astonishing ferocity. Something had risen in him at that moment - he wasn't quite sure what - and he had fought like a cornered tiger, snarling as he destroyed everything in his path. But that had been before the explosion. Now the tiger had abandoned him and he was again drowning in his fear.
Before Ed had a chance to process what was happening or alert anyone to Hawkeye's death there was another explosion. This one came from behind him, demolishing the stone wall against which he had been thrown. He was briefly aware of an excruciating pain in his left leg and a horrible pounding in his head and he suddenly realized that he was very cold. The last thing he saw before the darkness closed over him was Roy rushing to his side.