Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Yesterday: Maes and Glacier ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next day . . .
 
Maes pressed as much of his face as he could against the bakery window. The door was locked and nobody was inside. He readjusted his glasses and looked at his pocket watch, which read four-fifty. She had closed ten minutes early. He smirked. Avoiding him, was she? One hand in his pocket, the other holding a kite, he decided to take a brisk stroll to Miss Jones' place.
 
Maes went inside the apartment building and knocked on her door. No one answered. He knocked again. Nothing. Throwing the kite aside, he got down on his hands and knees and peered through the small space underneath the door. Lo and behold, there were two pink slippers with two legs standing picture still a distance from the door.
 
“Glacier!” Maes hollered through the space. Pink slippers jumped back. “Give it up! I know you're in there!”
 
Once again, she didn't move. Glacier thought that if she were quiet enough, he would go away. Her lips curved downward. She should have known that he would come to her apartment.
 
“Glacier! As your boyfriend, I think that this kind of treatment is cruel and unusual!”
 
She suppressed a groan.
 
“I can see you!” His voice was getting louder. “I can see your pink slippers. And your legs. Your slim, beautiful legs. Whenever I see them I wonder how they'll feel against mine.”
 
She gasped loudly.
 
“Or what it'll be like when your smooth, long legs are wrapped around me when we -”
 
The door flew open. Glacier yanked Hughes off the floor, pulled him inside, and slammed the door. She was blushing furiously with her fists at her sides. He grinned at her wickedly.
 
“ONE date. I will go out with you tonight and you must swear to me that you'll leave me alone forever. Got that?”
 
He chuckled. “Grab a sweater. It's windy outside.”
 
****************
 
“Okay! Now pull up on the string! Good!” Maes was yelling instructions to Glacier across the park field. Teaching her how to fly a kite hadn't been that difficult. The wind had increased significantly to the point where the kite was practically flying on its own. All he had to teach her was how to control it and do tricks.
 
Glacier laughed as she tugged on the string. This wasn't exactly what she thought she would be doing on her first date with a man like Maes Hughes, but there were many unexpected things she discovered about him. She was surprised at how much she was enjoying their date. Their evening had begun with dinner at her favorite restaurant. He told her funny stories about him, funnier stories about his best friend, Mustang, and hilarious stories about them as a duo. He asked her questions that she was comfortable answering and soon she found herself telling her own tales of embarrassment. The man gave her all of his attention. He opened every door for her and pulled out every chair. Whenever another woman spoke to him, he always shooed the woman away with his hand as if she were a pesky fly. Maes paid for the bill, left a generous tip, and led Glacier out of the restaurant.
 
The sun was almost down. Glacier was pulling the string in every which direction, trying to avoid the trees that the kite kept flying to. Her attempts were rather unsuccessful when the kite ended up dragging her around. She cried for help but was laughing all the while. Maes stood behind her and put his hands over hers.
 
“Use you finger to control it,” he said, using his index finger to `steer' the kite. Perhaps it was a cheap move on his part, but he couldn't resist from touching her. Her eyes lit up when she laughed, her body was graceful even when she was being yanked around, and her smile did something to him that he couldn't quite understand.
 
 
The kite did a series of dips.
 
“Whoa,” he said, moving both their bodies to maneuver the kite. It flew steadily in the air then dipped low again. He gave the string a hard yank. The kite came back up. Then it dove right at them.
 
Glacier barely had time to register that she was being thrown to the ground. Maes held her head as he knocked her body down with his. His hand absorbed the impact when her head hit the ground. He lifted himself off of her.
 
“Are you okay?” Concern was evident in his voice.
 
Glacier lay on the grass, laughter escaping from her lips. There really wasn't anything funny. She felt an immense amount of joy and let it out the only way she knew how. She looked up at Maes and saw the worry in his eyes. “I'm fine,” she finally said.
 
He got up and helped her on her feet. As he checked her for any injuries, Glacier picked the grass of his jacket and hair. For the first time that day she noticed how handsome Hughes was. He was wearing a grey button-down shirt with black pants and a black jacket. His face was clean-shaven and he smelled lightly of aftershave and soap. He had a thick head of dark brown hair that made want to run her fingers through -
 
Maes cleared his throat.
 
Glacier realized she was caught staring and blushed. “I, uh . . . Where's the kite?”
 
He looked around and pointed to a tree. “Looks like we're done kite-flying.” It was dark. “Come on. I'll walk you home.
 
The air had turned chilly. In spite of the sweater she was wearing, Glacier shivered from the cold. Maes noticed and immediately took off his jacket and placed it around her shoulders. She murmured her thanks. They walked together in amiable silence. He held the door open for her when the reached the apartment building and stopped in front of her door.
 
“This is it, then,” Glacier said, almost regrettably.
 
“This is it,” Maes repeated. He took a step towards her. “Thanks for going out with me tonight. I know I basically forced you, but I still appreciate it.”
 
She smiled. “I should be thanking you. I had a very good time.”
 
“Me too.”
 
“Really?” She was a little surprised, considering how many fun and wild dates he had been on. “It wasn't boring?”
 
“No.” Another step.
 
“Was it exciting?” She decided to venture.
 
Another step. His voice lowered. “Not particularly.”
 
She sighed. “Different?” Glacier had to crane her neck to look at him.
 
“Maybe.”
 
She scowled. “Then what did you think it was?”
 
He took her chin in his hand. “The best.”
 
The butterflies fluttering in Glacier's stomach turned into stomping rhinos. “Oh,” she managed to whisper. The way he was looking at her officially turned her legs to jelly. His lips were scant inches away from hers. He tilted her chin higher.
 
“Glacier,” he whispered back, “Can I kiss you goodnight?”
 
Before she could answer, Maes placed a gentle kiss on the corner of her mouth. It was the briefest of touches, but she could still feel the warmth of his lips when he stepped away from her. Her eyes fluttered open.
 
“Goodnight, Glacier Jones.” He gave her a wistful smile and left her standing in front of her door. She raised a hand to where he had kissed her. Her heart wrenched at the thought of never seeing him again. She wanted to weep. Crestfallen, she unlocked the door and walked in the room. Glacier suddenly smiled.
 
She was wearing his jacket.