Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Family Ties Part 1: The War of Love and Hate ❯ I'll Come Back to You ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

III: I'll Come Back to You
 
 
“We have a private army outside made up of surviving civilians,” said Tama.
 
 
The party of four was within their priestess' room. Chichiri and Tama had figured it would be the safest place for their priestess and comrade. Though they knew most of the fighting was taking place outside the palace, Chichiri kept watch outside Miaka's door. The two able-bodied warriors were just settling in their friends before they joined the militia. Needless to say, they were pressed for time.
 
 
“Damn,” muttered Tasuki, leaning in a chair. “An' I figgered all th' citizens had hauled ass by now.”
 
 
“Shows how much faith you have in your own countrymen.” Tama and Tasuki sent glares at one another.
 
 
Chichiri took one more look out the door. “Come on, Tamahome.” he said turning to him. “We have to go now.”
 
 
Tamahome knew it was coming, but he was reluctant to leave. The warrior looked to his lover as they sat on her bedside. He didn't want to leave her. But it was a direct order from his older cohort. He couldn't refuse. Unwillingly, Tama got up from Miaka's side, toward the open door. Miaka went after him.
 
 
The woman pulled her beloved into one final embrace. The two other occupants of the room just let the fiancés have their moment. Chichiri understood the concepts of true love and knew better than to interfere. Although, the more they delayed the direr the situation outside would become. Tasuki tolerated the affectionate scene before him, but secretly disliked it. He couldn't compete with that unless there was a window of opportunity. Silence was truly golden, as the man and woman prolonged their minute of bliss.
 
 
They finally pulled back, revealing Miaka had shed tears upon Tama's clothes. The priestess couldn't guarantee that she and Tama would be able to get married. But, she did know that he would come back to her. She was heartbroken, although she had a feeling this wouldn't be their last encounter. It was better to hope that he would be alive afterwards rather than live happily ever after with him.
 
 
Tama wiped the tears from Miaka's cheek with his thumb. Then he pulled her close, placing a chaste kiss upon her lips. She cheerfully returned it until he broke it off. He looked into her big green eyes as he made his last proclamation.
 
 
“Miaka, I love you.”
 
 
“I love you, too,” she replied.
 
 
“And I sincerely promise that I will come back to you once this is over.” He earnestly held her in place. “Wait for me, I will return…” Tama held her to him one last time. Then he made way to the door Chichiri was holding open.
 
 
As Tama passed Tasuki, he noticed the sour look on his face. The bitter rivals traded a quick glance. A secret suggestion transpired between them. Ever since childhood, the two had always competed against each other with fervor. Fighting for Miaka's love wasn't an exception. Then, they broke eye contact. Tama nodded and Tasuki returned it with a bow of his head.
 
 
Finally, without another moment's delay, both Chichiri and Tamahome exited through the door.
 
 
~-~
 
 
To say it was a difficult battle would be an understatement. The final battle that ended the Kuto/Konan War lasted over three weeks. Both the Konan army and the militia of ordinary citizens fought bravely against the armed Kuto forces. There were really no actual strategies when the militia set out to fight. Since most of the militia was awfully ill trained, attacks were led at by pure instinct. Millions of innocent men lost their lives those twenty-some days. The Kuto army was efficient and very large in number. Though a home field advantage, ingenuity and carnal battle instinct proved to be great assets.
 
 
Within the last week, both armies were in dangerously dwindling numbers. The Kuto army was fighting back, but seemed to be weakening. As for the Konan army, it pressed on and on; despite the fact that it might lose. It was as if it had received its second wind. On the remaining three days, the Kuto forces realized the inevitable. The Konan army never ceased its onslaught. The once superior army drew back as the Konan advanced toward them. Konan pushed Kuto back, back and back until it finally retreated into its own country. And that was the end of it.
 
 
In the end, the war actually did end in a stalemate. Kuto may have cowardly withdrawn, but Konan had serious damage to its own nation. Hundreds of communities had been wiped out. There was severe damage to the capital. The economy had suffered a huge blow due the cost of the war. Most of the Konan army and the militia had been annihilated. More or less, it would take a whole generation to restore Konan to its former glory.
 
 
Despite these dismal complications, this did not prevent the nation from celebrating. The whole country rejoiced knowing they had shamed their long-time foe. Even with the bleak beginnings, the pacifistic nation held its own against a great adversity. Its emperor, celestial warrior Hotohori, even declared a weeklong holiday to commemorate their victory over the Kuto forces.
 
 
The populace within the capital was in an uproar. People danced in the streets, children played like there was no tomorrow; much merriment and joyful partying occupied every home. Though the economy suffered, the nation was able to celebrate without the elaborate essentials. Battle-worn flags were flown, grand speeches were announced, and parades filled the streets. The food and drink, that had been the spoils of war, enhanced the occasion everywhere. This was very much true in the Konan's grand palace.
 
 
This was very much enjoyed by the warriors of the Suzaku Seven. They had come back alive and well from the war. Emperor Hotohori had returned with strong-man Nuriko; the latter dressed as a beautiful woman all through the festivities. Mitsukake and young Chiriko had both stayed in Konan during the final battles to help those in need of medical help. Both were very shy and simple, so they just celebrated quietly within the background. Chichiri defended the weak with his Chi Kung Pao when they fought back the enemy. The generous monk handed out alcoholic refreshments as he socialized with his fellow warriors. As for Tasuki, he stayed with Miaka for the duration of the celebrating, just like he always wanted. It was as if nothing could discard the passionate joy that was felt by everyone.
 
 
Well, almost nothing.
 
 
Miaka looked out her window ignoring the jubilation in the city that made the night sky glow. She tuned out the grand partying outside her room's four walls. She even overlooked Tasuki passing out on her bed from consuming too much alcoholic beverages.
 
 
There was one thing…
 
 
Tamahome did not come back.
 
 
~-~
 
 
The Suzaku Priestess drowsily got up from her sleeping position. She woke up at her windowsill, remembering that she had fallen asleep there. Going to her looking glass, she noted the bags under eyes and tear-stained cheeks. She had been crying until she dozed off. Her tears all spent, the large lump in her throat remained. Miaka put her hand over her chest. It felt as if her heart had sunken deep into oblivion, never to return. Never to return…! The thought made her remember, which started another round of tears.
 
 
Tasuki jerked out of a deep slumber, only to double back in pain due to of his bad hangover. Upon hearing the sobs, he glanced to Miaka kneeling before the mirror. He grabbed his crutch from the floor, and with great effort made his way toward her. She was crying he was sure of it. If only Tamahome had came back like he had promised.
 
 
“Miaka…?” he asked as he towered above her. “Will ya' be okay?”
 
 
She gazed up at him through teary eyes. Her hurt countenance must have disturbed him for he painfully kneeled down next to her. The two stared at one another; one expressing utmost sorrow, the other showing deep concern. Then, subtly, the warrior pulled his priestess into a tight hug. She gratefully returned it.
 
 
Miaka knew that Tasuki wasn't the one for deep, inspirational pep talks. He made up in action not words. Yet it was his sweet acts that attracted her. Tasuki was so thoughtful, in his own unorthodox, masculine way. He may not have been a romantic like Tamahome, but he was always her most cherished confidant. She subdued a sob when she scolded herself for not noticing it before.
 
 
“Please, Mi-chan,” Tasuki said, using her childhood nickname. “Please, don't cry no more.”
 
 
Outside, the sun began to rise, spreading beams of light unto everything it touched. When the sun was high enough over the horizon, it flashed its bright light through the window. Like outside, it bathed everything it touched with gold. They held one another for long moments letting the sunshine warm them.
 
 
“Answer me, Mi-chan,” he said again. “Are ya' goin' t' be alright?”
 
 
At the moment, she didn't know. Once again she was left in the dark. Not knowing if Tama was going to come back, or that he was even alive. She hated not knowing; it was frightening to be wondering about all the terrible things that could've happened. She still loved Tamahome, and was still as eager to get married to him if he were to ever return. But, as always, she didn't know. She couldn't even decide whether to commit suicide or eventually get on with her life. Miaka could never forget him that easily.
 
 
But the sun convinced her otherwise. The warm sunlight played upon Tasuki's features handsomely. His bronze skin had a pleasant glow. Those bewitching amber eyes shined like gold. And his bright red hair was as crimson as an actual inferno. She had forgotten how much he had matured from that smart-ass farm boy years ago. That was another thing to laugh at due to her damn ignorance. At first, he had a questioning look on his face. But when she gave a faint giggle, he broke into a small grin, revealing his white fangs under his lips. For a moment, Miaka forgot about the supposed loss of Tamahome. Just the loss, mind you, not Tama entirely.
 
 
Miaka pulled up Tasuki with her as she stood. The pity party was over. No need for any more tears.
 
 
But Tasuki was still unsatisfied. “Hey, Mi-chan.”
 
 
“Hmmm?”
 
 
“Aren't ya' gonna answer my question?”
 
 
“Dumbass!” She smacked his forehead. “I already did!”
 
 
He rubbed his stinging forehead; the poor man was still suffering from his hangover. “Oh, yeah, I forgot… Anyways… Whaddya want t' do now?”
 
 
The woman looked outside her window. There seemed to be no life happening out there at all. She listened intently and confirmed her suspicions. No more loud noises and not a soul in sight, which meant no wild partying. She guessed that everyone had passed out from over-consumption of rice wine last night. Knowing how much everyone enjoyed drinking, most of the people would be out like lights. That could possibly make a few hours for…
 
 
Miaka sent a wide smile in Tasuki's direction. “I know!” she said cheerfully. “Let's go for a walk in the palace gardens.”
 
 
“Uh… okay. Yeah, sure.” He loved her so much he would do anything she suggested.
 
 
With his consent, Miaka pulled on Tasuki's arm. He obediently followed like the good warrior he was. It was a bit awkward since she was hurrying him while he had a broken leg. She paid no mind to his temporary disability. Once they were outside, she would be sure to take very good care of him. Miaka only hoped no one would wake up until noon.
 
 
Once at the door, the priestess paused to open it. She bowed like a gallant gentleman as her warrior made his way out first. The priestess then went out as well, closing the door behind her. The man and woman just couldn't be any happier. It was the dawning of a beautiful new day.
 
 
~-~