Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Family Ties Part 1: The War of Love and Hate ❯ Prelude ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

IV: Prelude
 
 
Some time after this event, many things happened at the palace. Some joyous events, others were just horrid misfortunes. Miaka, the former priestess of Suzaku, found that she was with child. Emperor Hotohori had finally married to his betrothed. Chiriko had somehow found a position in the empire's bureaucracy despite his very young age. The Suzaku Seven helped reconstruct the damages from the war. Tasuki's leg finally healed from being broken in three places. But soon after, he broke his other leg while fixing one of the many damaged roofs in the city. As always, Miaka was there to nurse him back to health.
 
 
It was now mid-spring, and the plum blossoms were in bloom. Miaka and Tasuki went on their usual walk in the palace gardens. They had grown even closer after the war. Tasuki no longer thought of Miaka as a nuisance. Miaka had overcome her grief of Tama, but she never forgot about him. She knew he was out there somewhere, watching over her. In fact, even if he were alive, he would be happy for her new beginning.
 
 
The two were now standing under a blooming plum tree. Miaka held out her hand, catching tiny, white petals in her palm. She let the soft breeze blow them away like confetti. She watched them go, swaying in the breeze. Tasuki observed the endearing sight of sentimentality. The comfortable silence was starting to bother him.
 
 
“Mi-chan,” He needed to ask her. “Can I make a request o' ya'?”
 
 
She turned to him, smiling. “Yes? What is it, Tas-kun?” He smiled at the term of endearment.
 
 
“I'd understand if ya' said no. I don't wanna seem like a pain. But…” He looked deep into her green eyes. “Would ya' like it if you'…” he paused. Gods, why was this so awkward? He wasn't good at this sort of thing. “Um…be my nurse for a li'l while longer?” There he said it, but now he needed a reason. “Since, um…” He motioned to his new broken leg. “I won't be walkin' without this crutch for the time bein'.”
 
 
Miaka beamed at Tasuki's embarrassment. He had never asked someone of something like this. It was adorable to see him squirm. His ineptness was like that of when he was a clumsy adolescent.
 
 
The woman rubbed her bulging belly thoughtfully. It had barely begun to show, and she already felt fat. She wondered how Tasuki could put up with her. In fact how could any of the other celestial warriors put up with her? Miaka chose not to be a priestess anymore because she wanted to concentrate more on being a mother. Though, she could go back to the position at any time. More or less, the Suzaku Seven no longer held an obligation to her so they didn't need to be associated with each other.
 
 
Yet, they chose to. All of them actually bothered to stay at the palace because of her, though the only reason now was because she was with Tasuki. They were even helping her with the baby. Nuriko were suggesting different outfits for boys and girls. Mitsukake was prescribing her with many different herbs for a healthy pregnancy. Hotohori and Chiriko both made sure she had the best care when it was time for her to give birth. Chichiri constantly blessed the baby morning and night, asking Suzaku to watch over both of them. Naturally, Tasuki was always there as moral support twenty-four seven. It was amazing; how could so many men be so generous? Why were they even going through all the trouble? Maybe it was because they really were her friends. All her warriors actually cared for her, whether she was a priestess or not. And knowing that was wonderful.
 
 
Miaka sensed she had left Tasuki in suspense long enough. She finally responded to his question. “Yes,” she said. She looked straight into his wide amber eyes “Yes, Tasuki. Of course, I'd love to.”
 
 
To her surprise, he let out a long exhale once he heard her answer. Was he actually holding his breath for that long? She shook her head as she watched the redhead silently celebrating. Once he calmed down, she took one of his hands and pressed it to her belly. He turned to look up at her, and vice versa. They both smiled.
 
 
She sardonically asked, “What were thinking, doofus? That I'd actually say no? You should know better than that.”
 
 
He ignored her mean comment. “I can't help it if I'm a li'l doubtful. Most women wouldn't gimme th' time of day.”
 
 
“Yeah, they wouldn't.”
 
 
“Hey--!”
 
 
She hit him right on the head. Pretending to wince from the pain, Tasuki held his head as he watched her run from him. She wanted to play tag now. When she was already quite a few yards up the path, she turned to him and stuck out her tongue. Then she stuck her butt out at him and smacked it. He thought Miaka looked very mature. Clumsily, he limped after her as fast as he could. Their carefree laughter was heard throughout the vicinity. A pregnant woman being pitifully chased by a man with a crutch that was certainly a sight to see.
 
 
“Come back `ere, Mi-chan!”
 
 
“No!”
 
 
“You ain't bein' fair! I gotta disability!”
 
 
“Well, I'm pregnant! You should be arrested for endangering my baby!”
 
 
The two frolicked through the garden liked fools, not caring who saw them. For now, there were no more fighting, no more worries. No matter what sort of atrocities had happened in the past. Everything was living joyously; everything was just being alive.
 
 
~-~
 
 
Somewhere in a prefecture near Kuto…
 
 
A man wonders through a town. All the villagers avoid him because he looks like a drifter. Looking poor, ragged and homeless, everyone suspects that the authorities will do away with him soon. Thus, the man walks alone.
 
 
He looks for shelter for the night and spots an abandoned alley. It wasn't much but it would do. He settled into a shady area and watched the world go by. He keeps alert; he was in enemy territory after all. Even ordinary locals were known to be not so friendly. This man couldn't be arrested; he couldn't die yet. He had only one priority on his mind: Get out of Kuto and return to Konan.
 
 
“I can't die yet,” he said to himself. “I promised her… I promised Miaka I would come back.”