Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Firebird ❯ Imbalances ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Vera-chan: Welcome to another exciting chapter of………dun dun dun………Firebird!

Avia-san & Luna-sama: ::Cheer::

Vera-chan: Ok………A few things that have to be said: Hotori will not be abandoning Hotohori in the past, she cares enough to marry him, so she'll be sticking around. Washi was trying to save Tasuki from Koneko………don't worry, she'll still be picking on him. Koneko will eventually have a guy, so don't feel too bad for her. And this chapter will actually serve a purpose!

Avia-san & Luna-sama: ::Cheer again.::

Vera-chan: That's right………no more cruddy filler for me!

Avia-san: But isn't this just cruddy filler?

Vera-chan: no…it's an author's note………that's different………

Luna-sama: Uh-huh………sure………

Vera-chan: You guys can be so mean! I might just replace you!

Avia-san: With………?

Vera-chan: With………Nyan-Nyans………or chibis………or bishies……Oh! Oh! I've got it! Chibi bishies!!

Avia-san & Luna-sama: ::Shake heads:: Poor poor chibi junkie………

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

"Firebird"

Ch. 15 "Imbalances"

Hotori smiled as she and her new husband made their way to her mother and father. Miaka appeared to have been crying, and tried to hide it, and even Tamahome had shed a few tears.

"Oto-san, Okaa-san!" She hugged them both. "I'm sorry I didn't get top see you when you arrived! Where are Aoi and Mire?"

"Here's Mire, no da!" Okami called as she and Chichiri headed their way, a now 12-year-old Mire following them, still sporting the kasa.

"Here I am nee-san!" Aoi called, coming towards them from another side of the crowded garden. Tasuki and Washi were close behind.

Hotori was surprised that her little brother was now 16………it would take some time to get used to the different time scales. And to think, she'd just turned 17 herself!

"Oh, Hotori, you look beautiful!" Miaka said for the millionth time. "But there's one thing you still haven't done!"

"What, Okaa-san?" one married miko asked the other.

"Why, throwing the bouquet, of course!" Came Miaka's reply. "I know, they've probably never done it in this time before, but I threw it at my wedding, and you should at yours!"

"Ok………ok………" She turned and raised her voice to be heard over the chatting crowd. "Would all single girls come over here please? And all the guys back up?"

The crowd did as asked. Sekai stood with the guys while Nuriko joined the crowd.

"What are you doing?" Tamahome teased. "She said girls!" Nuriko glared, and Hotori laughed.

"What are we doing?" Tsuru asked.

"I'm going to turn my back to you and throw the bouquet over my shoulder." She explained. "The story goes, if you catch it, you'll be the next to get married."

Washi started to leave the small group.

"Oh, no Washi." Hotori smiled. "You're taking part too."

"Ok Miko-Sama………" She sighed, crossing her arms, intent not to catch the flowers.

Hotori tossed them, and they flew over everyone's outstretched hands, and smacked Washi right in the face. She looked at the flowers, then turned her attention to Suzaku's shrine located a few feet away.

"Is this supposed to be some sort of sign?" she asked, holding up the flowers.

"Yes." Came Bride and Groom in unison.

"Nee-Chan………I think Hotohori's starting to rub off on you." Nuriko observed as both smiled at Washi.

"You'd better keep your rubbing to yourself!" Tamahome threatened his new son in law.

"Dad!" Hotori blushed slightly.

Tasuki walked up to Washi, who was still holding the flowers, and started to say something.

"Zip it Fang Boy………" She replied. "I'm not going to marry you."

He frowned, and regained a long forgotten hurt puppy look. Washi started to walk away, but he was sure he heard "Not yet, anyway………"

* * *

Later on, after all the guests had gone home, the newlyweds were talking to Hotori's family when Washi and Tasuki entered, arguing.

"Then why?" He asked.

"I know Koneko, that's why!" she replied.

"But you said I was `Yours.'"

"I didn't mean it!" By now, she was very mad to say the least.

"You're cute when you're mad."

"That's it Fang Boy………you're dead!"

Tasuki sensed that she meant it and hid behind Hotori. She won't chance hurting the miko………right?

"Washi, just accept the compliment." Hotori tried, to no avail.

"Miko-Sama, I'm sure you don't want blood on your dress………" Washi said, barely above a growl. She moved to go around Hotori, but Tasuki moved so she was still between them.

"I never knew you were low enough to use a human shield." Washi said.

"I never thought I'd be a human shield." Hotori replied. There was a small game of Ring Around The Miko, before she spoke again. "Why don't you just let bygones be bygones?" She saw it had no effect, and turned towards Tasuki. "Why are you still here? That was your chance to run!"

Tasuki bolted for the door at a speed they'd never seen him reach before. A second later Washi was out the door behind him.

Hotori shrugged. "I hope he'll be okay."

They went back to their conversation, only to have the door swing open again a few minutes later. Tsume flew in, circled the room, and left.

"I see." Came an old voice as Taiitsukun entered. "Send my invitation by eagle………that way I couldn't make it in time………"

"I'm glad you made it at all!" Hotori smiled.

"I didn't just come for the wedding………" She came in and sat down, two Nyan-Nyans close behind. "I'm here to elaborate on the conversation we had on the mountain."

"Nyan-Nyan!" Miaka and Hotori call out in unison, each hugging one.

"We're not keeping it." Hotohori and Tamahome replied, then exchanged odd looks.

Taiitsukun loudly cleared her throat, and both mikos turned their attention to her once again.

She explained that when Miaka and Tamahome left the book in favor of the real world, they created an imbalance. If this imbalance was not corrected soon, it could destroy everything fate has planned. The only way to correct would be for their decedents, Mire and Aoi, to enter the book in their places.

"What about me?" Hotori asked. "Only two people left, so why do you need all three of us?"

"You're place here is unrelated to the imbalance." The old woman explained. "You're fate was sealed before the problem was discovered."

Hotori looked at her parents, and saw how sad they looked. She realized they'd be separated from all of their children.

"When do they have to come?" Miaka asked, holding her husband's hand.

"At the age of 16." The old woman replied. "Any later could be dangerous."

"But I'm 16 now………" Aoi said, sudden realization hitting him.

"Then it would be best if you stay here when your parents go home."

"Can I go back and pack my stuff?" He asked. "Say goodbye to my friends?"

"Stuff, yes." Taiitsukun sighed. "Friends, no. It's too hard to explain our situation to others, and quite frankly, it's better if they don't know."

Aoi looked rather sad at this news, but reasoned she was right. It would be very hard to explain. Everyone seemed saddened, Hotori sighed, and Hotohori put a comforting arm around her.

"Hey!" Tamahome said, jumping up. "Just because your married doesn't mean you can touch her!"

"I thought it did dear………" Miaka said.

"I do hate to point this out………" Hotori added. "But you weren't exactly married when I was born………at least we are………"

"That's besides the point!" He huffed.

The discussion would've continued, but Washi entered dragging a motionless Tasuki.

"Have any of you, um, seen Mitsukake………" She asked. "Or Tsuru………or both?"

"What happened to Tasuki?" Aoi asked, looking from conscious role model to unconscious role model.

"I, um………I………Have you seen them?"

"They went that way last time I saw them." Hotori said, shocked. "What happened?"

"I………was raised by wolves………have I mentioned that? Bye!" She turned and bolted out the door, dragging her counterpart behind her.

"What………?" Miaka started.

"I'm sure we're better off not knowing." Tamahome replied.

* * *

Aoi told his friends he was moving, and the family did. To a new place that didn't know he'd ever existed. It was easiest that way. He slowly adjusted to life with his sister, and had fun with the wide assortment of personalities gathered under the name of Suzaku.

Before long it was Mire's turn to enter the book. (AN: It's been a year since the wedding.) She was a little more excited about it then her brother had been. A bright red light filled the small shrine as a now 16 year old Mire came forward, the ever present kasa pulled low over her eyes.

"Konnichi wa, no da!" she called, grinning.

She was greeted with a hug from her older siblings, then one from her idols. After taking a little time to settle in, Mire was invited to join Okami and Chichiri on one of their now daily walks. She enjoyed walking through the town, looking at all the shops and seeing all the people. Before long she noticed they were entering a small forest at the outskirts of town.

"Where are we going, no da?" She asked, smiling.

"To a nice little clearing, no da." Okami replied. "It's very relaxing, no da."

They settled down in the soft grass, and began to watch the clouds float by, trying to guess what shape they were. The three had almost dozed off when they heard a voice that startled them awake.

"Isn't that sweet." Nakago said, an evil grin curling onto his face.

The three jumped up, and the two senshi took their battle stances.

"Oh when will you learn you can't hurt me?" He asked. "I was hoping your Miko would be here, but since she's not, I'll take the next best thing."

He approached them, The senshi trying to knock him down with chi blasts. He laughed, knocked one down to either side, and seized Mire's wrist.

"Tell your Miko if she wants to see her sister alive again, she'll surrender herself." With that, He and Mire were gone.

Okami looked at Chichiri silently for a moment, then began to cry. He put an arm around her.

"Don't worry, no da." He said. "We'll get her back, no da. Right now we need to get back to the palace, no da."

She nodded and they disappeared into their kasas.