Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Flute and Willow ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Warning: This is a yaoi, minna. If you are under 18 or offended by M/M relationships then run away NOW!!! Otherwise, by all means proceed.

Disclaimer: In no way shape or form do I own the characters so don't sue me.

Flute and Willow
A FY fic
By Sakura
Part 2

'So this is Hokkan,' Nuriko thought to himself as he and the others surveyed the valley below them. The beauty of the fields surrounded by mountains was breathtaking, but somehow the violet haired seishi wasn't in the mood to appreciate it. He shivered and wrapped his arms around himself trying to fight off the cold.
"Guess we should've packed warmer things, huh?" Tamahome said noticing his friend and fellow seishi's shivering.
"No shit, genius," retorted Tasuki. "It's too f@#%ing cold here. Good thing I came along otherwise you'd be frozen seishi statues." The redhead waved his new tessen to emphasize his point.
"Who asked you!? If I remember right, you didn't want to come in the first place, Mr. I-can't-swim-if-my-life-depended-on-it," Tama shot back.
What ensued was another of their famous brawls which, Nuriko, of course, had to break up. "Will you two stop acting like a couple kids!? We have a shinzaho to find," he said grabbing hold of Tasuki.
"ItaiItaiItaiItaiItai! Geez, Nuri that hurts!"
"Oops, sorry," he said releasing the fiery tempered seishi.
"He's right, no da. We have to hurry if we don't want the Seiryuu seishi to get it, no da," said Chichiri.
"Right! Come on guys, let's go!" Miaka yelled as she began running down the hill.
"Miaka! Matte yo! (Wait!)" Tamahome ran down after her.
Sighing, Nuriko went after them, followed by the remaining four seishi.

The villagers were no help at all. Each person had their own theory as to what and where the shinzaho was. After much heated discussion, the village elder and Chichiri had both come to the conclusion that it would be best if they tried looking in the capital since the people were more educated there. Seeing it was much to late to set out now, the villagers had kindly allowed the seishi to spend the night.
Tama and Tasuki were given a small room in the hut of the boy Tamahome had saved earlier while Mitsukake, Chichiri, and Chiriko had a room in another hut. Miaka was lodged with Nuriko since they had thought he was a girl as usual.
Nuriko rolled over to his side away from Miaka's snoring and mumbling. He really felt sorry for her. He knew what it was like to not be able to be with the one you loved. He knew it all too well. First with his unrequited love with Hotohori and now with the death of Amiboshi.
The pain of that day was still fresh in his heart and seeing the death of Tamahome's family only made it worse because it was his lover's twin brother, Suboshi, who did it. When he first saw the cloaked figure on the rooftop and heard the flute, he thought Amiboshi had come back from the dead to exact his revenge on them. But once he saw the boy's eyes, he knew the figure wasn't his beloved Amiboshi. He had gentle and sad eyes, not the hurt and angry ones Suboshi had shown them.
Now Nuriko was more confused than ever. He could not believe that someone as caring and kind as Amiboshi could have such a cruel brother. He truly pitied Suboshi, but could never forgive him for what he had done. Remembering Tama's face when he used the power Taiisu-kun gave him, Nuriko began to weep silently. Nuriko wished Amiboshi hadn't died. If he hadn't, little Yuiren would be safe at the palace with her brothers and sisters and Tamahome would not have to go through the pain he went through after losing Kourin.
Silent tears ran down the seishi's porcelain skin until sleep took pity on him.

"So this is Touran," Tama said stopping just beyond the capital gates.
"Yeah we finally made it here," Tasuki added as the other horses caught up.
"It's cold here," Chiriko remarked. For someone who passed the civil service tests at age 13, he could be a bit dense at times. Suddenly it began to snow.
Miaka looked up and smiled. "It's snowing!"
"Wow! You almost never see snow back in Konan. The weather's too nice for snow there," Nuriko said.
"It's been so long. Where I come from, sometimes it snows a lot doing the winter months," Miaka said suddenly feeling homesick.

A few minutes later, the seishi had gotten stables for their horses and were now sitting at a table in a not so reputable pub. Chichiri was explaining they should split up since the capital was so big and began assigning groups. Nuriko however, hadn't been paying attention.
The violet haired seishi kept thinking about how Miaka had decided to stay in their world once Suzaku had been summoned. He was beginning to envy the girl again. He had stopped being jealous of Miaka once she made it clear that she loved only Tamahome, but now he couldn't help himself. It didn't seem fair that she still had her lover while Amiboshi had been cruelly ripped away from him. He began to wish more than ever for the whole thing to be over with. The sooner Tama and Miaka moved on with their lives, the sooner he could go on with his.
"But what about Nuriko?" Miaka asked, her mouth full of food.
"Huh?" He looked up. Quickly remembering that the blue haired monk had said something about splitting up, he said, "I think I should go with Tamahome and Miaka. As a servant of Hotohori-sama, I have to protect you since he's not here."
Just then, a rather drunk and not too clean man came up to the violet haired man. "Hey baby! You sure are a pretty one. How 'bout sharing a lil drinky-poo with me?" The man had the nerve to put his grimy hand on his nice clean face. Enraged, Nuriko promptly gave the ruffian his answer, causing the man to wind up on the floor on the other side of the pub.

A sandy haired boy looked up from his meal and stared at the violet haired figure who was dusting herself off and going back to her friends. He was amazed at how strong the woman was. Back in Sairou all the girls he knew might have been a bit forward, but they were nowhere near as strong as this one.
Looking at her, Kaika thought to himself, 'She's beautiful!' No wonder most of the men in the place were staring at her. She had creamy porcelain skin framed by violet hair, which she kept in a neat braid over her shoulder and large expressive gold eyes.
He was about to go back to his meal, when he suddenly got a flash of him and the foreign woman together. 'What the!?' Could she be someone from his past? When his parents pulled him from the river, he couldn't even remember his own name. Did seeing this woman cause him to remember something. 'There's something familiar about her, but I don't know what it is. I keep getting the feeling it's important.'
Shrugging it off for now, Kaika returned to his meal and gave no more though to the violet haired woman.

"Sorry mister, but I'm not that kind of girl," he said sitting back down.
"Hey baby!" Tasuki mimicked. "It might not be such a good idea if you went with Miaka. There's a lot o' assholes here no telling what a couple o' cute girls'll do to 'em."
Another drunk decided to come on to Nuriko, but the seishi just ignored him. "Yeah, yeah I got it. The problem is I look like a girl," he said rather annoyed.
Usually he would enjoy the attention his beauty was attracting, but Tasuki was right. Hokkan did seem to have a lot of lowlifes running around its bars. 'Should have done this a long time ago,' he thought and swiftly took out a dagger from his traveling purse and cut the braid off his head.
The others just gasped and stared, too shocked to say anything. Finally Tamahome recovered enough to say, "What a waste."
"You sure about this Nuriko? You're giving up looking like a girl?" Miaka asked, not knowing what to think.
"Daijoubu. What's done is done. Besides I don't feel much like being a cross dresser anymore," he said smiling, or at least that's what he hoped he was doing. "Besides, I can't have all this hair flying around if I have to fight the Seiryuu seishi."
Suddenly they all became serious again and went back to discussing how they were to contact each other if they found anything. Chichiri couldn't use his magic since Nakago and the others would be able to sense it, however, Chiriko came up with the idea of using some fireworks he had purchased earlier as signals. They agreed on Chiriko's idea, then each group took one and left their separate ways.

Kaika, at hearing a group of gasps, looked up and saw the woman he'd been watching earlier had cut off her braid. Now he too was shocked. 'Why'd she do that for!? She was perfect the way she was.' Then realization sunk in. 'Could she... be a man?' Intrigued, he decided to follow the violet haired figure and its friends when they left.

On a the wall surrounding Touran, a hulking figure, more animal than man stood sniffing the air as it continued to snow. "I can smell you Suzaku no Miko," he said and let out a wolf-like howl.

Deeper in the city, Miaka looked up listening for something. "What was that? What makes a sound like that?"
Looking about as well, Tama nervously asked himself, "A wild dog?"
Miaka was being to get scared as the uneasy feeling the sound had given her increased. Before Tamahome could reassure his lover it was nothing, Nuriko called over to them.
"Hey! Look at this old monument!"
Forgetting her fear, Miaka curiously approached a stone slab protected from the snow by the gazebo it was in. "What is it?"
Nuriko went to explain that the monument had a carving of Hokkan's god Genbu was at the top. Thinking it may be a clue, Tamahome came up closer to it, only to find he couldn't read it. A passing old woman explained that the language on the slab could only be read by scholars since it was over two hundred years old.
They were about to give up, when a young man approached them saying he knew someone who could read the monument. Nuriko could tell he was no good just by looking at him. His hair was uncombed and wrapped up in a scarf, and he had an air that said sleaze hanging all about him.
Miaka was about to go with him, but the old woman stopped her explaining that even though the man's father was a scholar, but he had fallen on hard times and his son had a nasty reputation.
Tama, however, wasn't one to give up. He volunteered to go with the man, much against their better judgment, and reassured Miaka and Nuriko he'd be fine. Once that was cleared the midnight blue haired seishi disappeared around the corner.

The two were now sitting on the steps of the moment waiting for Tamhome to come back. "Tamahome's sure taking a long time," Miaka said, getting worried.
"Oh I'm sure he'll be back any moment now," Nuriko said leaning against the slab.
"Can I ask you something? Don't you regret cutting your hair?"
Nuriko thought for a moment. Sure he regretted it, he adored his hair, but he felt it was time to move on in spite the fact he still couldn't get over his lover's death. "Not really. I used to think all this long hair would help me forget Kourin's death, but now, I'm not so sure."
"Well away, I think you look rather cool like that," said Miaka turning to the violet haired man.
"Oh, come on! Haven't you noticed how attractive I am!?" he shot back, jokingly.
"You're might fast to take a compliment, aren't you?" Miaka retorted.
"What are you trying to say?" He tried to sound hurt, but couldn't. Miaka was so much like Kourin that he couldn't help be at ease with her. Suddenly the two began laughing.

Kaika stood at his stall not too far from the violet haired man and girl at the monument. After following them, he decided that the longhaired woman had indeed been a longhaired MAN. He had followed them on the pretense of trading with them until he came to the city square. Deciding that the strangers were not here for produce, he set up his tiny stall and waited for customers to notice his wares.
Staring at the travelers, he kept thinking to himself, 'There's definitely something familiar about these people. Maybe they're friends of mine.'

Suddenly Miaka felt something run up and down her spine and let out a gasp. "What is it Miaka? You cold?" asked Nuriko sensing something was up.
"No. I just felt a chill go up my spine."
"A chill?" He definitely didn't like the sound of that.
"I'm really worried about Tamahome. I'm going to look for him!" With that the girl shot up and started off in the direction her lover had taken.
"Matte! Miaka!" Nuriko called out to her, but it was too late. Once Miaka Yuuki got an idea into her head there was no turning back.

Noticing the concern on the strange man's face, Kaika looked to see the girl run off toward where the other man had gone. Suddenly he felt icy fingers run up and down his spine and he looked up at the roof of the monument.
Standing on it was the most horrifying sight he'd even seen.

A huge animal like man stood ready to leap upon the unsuspecting girl. He had yellow eyes and a scar ran above and below the left one in a jagged line. He had rough gray hair all over his head and arms. His hands were like claws and he was licking his lips in a very wolf like manner. "I have found you Suzaku no Miko."

"Oujo-san! Look out!" Kaika called to the girl, praying she'd hear him in time. The girl turned toward the sound.
"Suzaku no Miko!" Looking up the girl saw what he had been trying to warn her about. She stood there frozen like a rabbit that had been cornered by some predator. "You must die!" The animal man leapt off the gazebo.
"Miaka!!!" shouted the violet haired man as he ran toward her.