Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Strange Beginnings ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
----------
~When we were young the future was so bright
The old neighborhood was so alive
And every kid on the whole damn street
Was gonna make it big and not be beat~

-"The Kids Aren't Alright", The Offspring



"See ya tomorrow!" the young man called to his purple-haired companion as the other turned to leave. Ryuuen waved back, disappearing through a set of doors.

Digging into his pocket for those damned apartment keys, he swore under his breath as he dropped them. Leaning down to retrieve them, Genrou banged his head on the doorknob on his way up, swearing vigorously and falling on his butt. Standing up and collecting what little pride he had left, the fiery-haired young man finally managed to unlock the door to his apartment. He kicked the offending door open, not caring how much noise he made-

-and paused, his eyes narrowing.

Someone was here. In his apartment. Sitting, quietly, in the dark. What the hell?!

Using his eyes to locate the switch, Genrou flipped on the lights, turning to yell at the intruder to get the *HELL* out of HIS apartment- and stopped, wide-eyed.

The stranger was a young man, older than Genrou, and wearing the strangest clothes he'd ever seen. An orange, Chinese-style outfit, complete with navy undershirt and black boots trimmed with yellow, the front sported a small circle at the top right (in Genrou's case), with some sort of symbol in the middle. The whole thing practically screamed 'foreigner'. But what really gave the 17 year-old pause was the face. One eyed seemed to be sealed shut with a long, jagged scar, that reached across the nose, while another fixed him with a warm chocolate gaze that released a frighteningly strong sense of deja vu into Genrou's senses.

"Hello," the man said, in a strangely high-pitched voice. "I'm here to be your guardian." he stood up as Genrou tried to regain his composure.

The fiery-haired youth narrowed his eyes at the others' approach, dropping into a fighting stance. "Don't come a step closer," he warned, mentally slapping himself for letting the stranger's looks get his guard down. "I do know how to fight."

The man who called himself Genrou's guardian stopped. "Something that wasn't unexpected." he muttered. Genrou threw him a questioning look.

"And what's that supposed ta mean?" he snapped.

"Nothing, really." the intruder sighed. "Look-"

"Did the kid let ya in? If he did-"

"No! I sorta... let myself in. But that's not the point! I-"

The slamming of a door in the hallway, and the pattering of small feet interrupted them. A young boy with brownish red hair stood before them, a wide smile on his face.

"You're here!" he exclaimed, running up to the intruder. Genrou loosened his stance, uncertain.

"Kid, ya know this guy?"

Chiriko's smile brightened. "Of course! He's an angel. I ordered one."

Genrou sputtered at this remark, glancing from the kid to the supposed 'angel'. He could sum up his emotions in three little words:

"What. The. HELL?!"

Chiriko shook his head. "Oh, no, Genrou-san. If he's an angel, he'd have to be from heaven."

The intruder tried to contain his smile. "Actually, I'm not exactly what you would call an angel. I'm more like a missionary. I was given this assignment for a reason."

Genrou didn't look like he believed him. "What assignment?"

"I have to stay with you and protect you."

"For how long?"

"They didn't exactly say, but I was lead to believe it would be until you died of natural causes."

"WHAT?!" Genrou yelled. He couldn't believe this was happening, and to HIM, of all people. He sat down heavily on his bed, putting his head in his hands." What did I ever do ta deserve this...?"

"Oh, *you* didn't do anything."

He looked up. "Then what...?"

"It's more like something *I* did." the 'missionary' replied, looking away. Genrou could sense he was holding something back, but decided not to push it. A question from Chiriko broke the silence that had formed.

"If you're going to be living with us, shouldn't we at least know your name?"

"Ore wa Houjun." the man replied, not noticing Genrou's look of panic at Chiriko's mention of him living with them. Both humans now seemed to believe his story. At least he hadn't needed to show them what he could do.

"He's gonna do *WHAT*?! No, he's not! Chiriko, ya ordered 'im, ya send 'im back! I don't want 'im!"

Houjun silenced his ranting with a hand over his mouth. "I'm afraid he can't do that. This was already planned. Before he did anything. And I do not appreciate being talked about like a piece of furniture."

Genrou opened his mouth to argue again, but something about Houjun stopped his protests, and he slowly closed his mouth. Sighing in resignation, Genrou sat back down on the bed, glaring at Houjun. "Alright. What exactly do ya mean by sayin' ya'll 'protect' me?"

"I pretty much have to do anything you tell me to."

"And ya have ta protect me from anythin' that might harm me?"

"Hai."

"Ok, then." he glanced at the watch on his right wrist. "I'm gonna get ready for bed." he grabbed a slightly wrinkled shirt of the bed, disappearing into the bathroom. Chiriko said goodnight and returned to his room, leaving Houjun with his own thoughts.

The blue-haired man closed his eyes, concentrating. //Kami-sama, what did you do?//

He wasn't surprised when a voice answered him. <Why, Houjun, I *told* you the assignment.>

//Yes, but there's something familiar about him. About them both...//

<You mean you don't know?> Houjun could just picture him lifting one elegant eyebrow.

//...No...//

<He doesn't remind you of someone? Someone you used to know?>

Houjun took in a sharp breath as the realization dawned on him. //No... He couldn't be-//

He jumped at the touch of a touch on his shoulder, his chocolate eye snapping open. A pair of amber eyes stared into his. Genrou. He still didn't look too happy about his current situation.

"I ain't got any more beds, so ya'll hafta sleep in the floor."

Houjun shook his head. "I would not be in a good position to protect you properly if I were on the floor."

"Then what're we gonna DO? Share my bed?"

"That would be acceptable."

Genrou's glare sharpened. "I don't share my bed with ANYONE, let alone YOU." he growled. Houjun winced at the harsh tone, wondering if Kami-sama really had the right person. His actions were so different than before. He liked him better the other way.


"Besides, how can I trust you? I know nothing about you. I don't even know if 'Houjun' is your real name, goddamnit!"

Houjun's eye widened. How did he...?

Sneering when he didn't get a response, Genrou shoved the older man aside, laying himself on half of the bed. "Fine. Have it your way. I'm goin' ta bed." he closed his eyes. "...Oh, and one more thing. Touch me and you die."

Houjun sat in silence for a few moments, lost in his own thoughts. Finally, as Genrou's breathing began to even out, he sighed, closing his eye. "It's Chichiri. You can call me Chichiri."

Genrou just mumbled something and turned over, falling deeper into sleep. Lying down next to the fiery-haired youth, Chichiri studied the now remarkably familiar face, wondering why he hadn't seen it sooner, as he fell asleep.

*****

Laying on his own bed, the 13 year-old known as Chiriko smiled to himself. Ryuuen would be pleased with the situation, if Genrou-san's best friend ever heard about it. But, of course he would have to. Houjun's duty was to protect Genrou-san, which meant going everywhere he went. They'd see Ryuuen in the morning, when Genrou had band practice at the purple-haired bishounen's house. He would agree that Houjun seemed like the one they needed.

Now all that was left was to set the plan into action.

----------